cleaning hard solid water to make it transparent again...

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

cleaning hard solid water to make it transparent again...

October 11th, 2005, 7:20 am #1

problems problems

I put solid water into a 'mold' made by plasticard

I tested it before and the card peeled of without a problem

now the real deal peeled of to but some of the plasticard (the finest of finest residu) stayed on the sides of the mold making sure you can't see through it any more

QUESTION: how can I clean this stuff making it transparent again without attacking the solid water (Small Shop)

hope you get my drift ??

cheers
Dom

October 11th, 2005, 11:14 pm #2

That sounds pretty bad Dom, I can't think of anything. I know you may not want to hear this right now but next time I'd use clear casting resin...you can peel off the dam before the resin drys...it will gel in about an hour...that is the time to remove the dam.

Just a thought for next time....all the best with your current problem...sorry to hear that had to happen

October 12th, 2005, 10:55 am #3

problems problems

I put solid water into a 'mold' made by plasticard

I tested it before and the card peeled of without a problem

now the real deal peeled of to but some of the plasticard (the finest of finest residu) stayed on the sides of the mold making sure you can't see through it any more

QUESTION: how can I clean this stuff making it transparent again without attacking the solid water (Small Shop)

hope you get my drift ??

cheers
Dom
\HI, I wonder If I can help,

You say Solid Water, that is an epoxie resin material from Delux, To clean this you will need to sand it off then, by reducing the grain of the paper reduce it to polishing, Finnish off with metal polishes. Always use hand methods as power tools will burn the resin.

IF you really mean ICE-COAT, as sold by The Small Shop EU, then this is a high quality "medium" and can be trimmied with a very sharp knife.

Get back to me if you need more

Alasdair

Ali_1_KJ = Alasdair K Johnston