churchill 1V mk3 6pdr

Hosted by John Prigent and Steve Zaloga, this is a discussion group dedicated to the armoured forces of the many Allied nations of the Second World War.

churchill 1V mk3 6pdr

May 15th, 2012, 7:50 pm #1

Can anyone help?Is there any evidence of Churchill 1V tanks armed with 6pdr mk3 guns deployed in Normandy?I have searched my admittedly limited sources but can not find any.

May 17th, 2012, 3:56 am #2

Hi Ian

I've been through 16 books on Churchills and haven't found a picture of one in Normandy or after with a short 6pdr, only the longer barreled versions

In fact, the only pictures I have of churchills with shorter 6pdrs in north west Europe are at Dieppe in 1942

Mind you, I won't stick my neck out and say never, I've been bitten doing that before! But on balance I would say it probably didn't happen

Chris

Inside the Armour
www.insidethearmour.com

May 19th, 2012, 9:52 am #3

Thankyou very much for your time, and interest in my query Chris.Can I ask one more question on this subject?Were the cylindrical and cylinder with truncated cone counter-weights fitted to the 6pdr mk5 when mounted in the churchill 1v?I have seen the latter but not the former.All the best Ian.

May 19th, 2012, 4:33 pm #4

Hi Ian,

I had to look again because I've never noticed! Which is good because now I know and its another little bit of churchill trivia to file away

Both were used by the look of it. The tapering one seems more common, but the straight cylindrical one appears to be by no means rare

Here's one on a 6th Guards Churchill:

Inside the Armour
www.insidethearmour.com

May 19th, 2012, 7:58 pm #5

Many thanks Chris,now I know the options.Whilst looking for pictures of universal carriers I stumbled on the Armour in Focus website which has some interesting info for a Churchill rookie like me.As always more questions than answers!All the best Ian .

May 20th, 2012, 12:59 pm #6

Thats a must website for any churchill fan Ian.

If you want to discuss your project and swap notes feel free to email me. I love talking churchills

Chris

Inside the Armour
www.insidethearmour.com

May 22nd, 2012, 8:17 pm #7

Dear Chris

I hope that this is an appropriate means of contact.

Thanks for your offer to talk further on the subject of the Churchill tank. I do hope you don't come to regret it! Currently my project is taking shape. I hope to use the type 'B' Mark IV turret with the six pounder Mark V. The Lion Marc turret offering looks to have a nice accurate shape. However, Lion Marc are currently sold out. I'm not sure yet whether to use the cone or later cone with flats large bolt covers on the pannier sides and whether to use the early or late vane side.

If you have any thoughts, I would be most grateful for them.

All the best

Ian Foster

May 24th, 2012, 2:17 am #8

Hi Ian,

The lionmarc turret does indeed look very nice, but I feel I should probably point out that my own company; Inside the Armour, also does a later MkIV turret http://insidethearmour.com/6.html)

As for the bolts: personally I'd go with the ones with the flattened sides. Close inspection of real tanks reveals these were secured with two small weldes on the flattened sides

As for the vane sights; like a lot of MkIV features its variable. The MkIV came in various subtle variations of detail depending on factory and date of production. Your best bet is to find a picture of one you like and pour over it looking for individual details then copy that; especially if you are using markings for a known tank

Chris

Inside the Armour
www.insidethearmour.com

May 25th, 2012, 12:33 pm #9

Very useful info Chris,now all I need to do is find a good reference photograph and persuade my treasurer to release funds for your exellent looking turret.The latter may be the trickier!