Chieftain

The Modern AFV discussion group is hosted by Erik Gustavsson and covers the variety of AFVs used by all nations in the post WWII era.

Chieftain

June 15th, 2015, 1:58 pm #1

I am researching the history of my old chariot, Chieftain, for a new book. Does anyone have any good shots (showing registration if possible) of the Knox/Benning Chieftain? I understand it might have been one of the two Chieftains originally built for the Federal Republic of Germany to compare against Standardpanzer Leopard (with the other now at APG?. My EM is dick_mel@btinternet.com

Thanks in advance!

DT

June 15th, 2015, 8:32 pm #2

Dick,
I will check at home tonight as I want to say that I had either prints or digital pics of the beast. I know that I have pics of some of the British armor that was in the Knox Patton Museum Collection: Challenger 1, Churchill Mk VII Croc, Comet, and Centurion Mk III that were at Knox in 2002.

John
Last edited by John Charvat on June 15th, 2015, 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Charvat
President, Armor Modeling & Preservation Society

June 16th, 2015, 4:48 am #3

Mrosko, Charlie P,. and I are heading down to Benning in a couple weeks to hang out with the tanks for a few days. I'll look for it.

June 16th, 2015, 2:06 pm #4

Dick,
I will check at home tonight as I want to say that I had either prints or digital pics of the beast. I know that I have pics of some of the British armor that was in the Knox Patton Museum Collection: Challenger 1, Churchill Mk VII Croc, Comet, and Centurion Mk III that were at Knox in 2002.

John
Dick,
Unfortunately, after searching my files, it seems that I didn't take any pics of the Armor Museum's Chieftain but reached out to a source at the Armor Museum who said that he e-mailed you yesterday.

Good luck on your project and I am looking forward to it as I seem to have developed an interest in the Chieftain since a visit to Bovington and Duxford in late 2013.

John
John Charvat
President, Armor Modeling & Preservation Society

June 16th, 2015, 5:54 pm #5

I am researching the history of my old chariot, Chieftain, for a new book. Does anyone have any good shots (showing registration if possible) of the Knox/Benning Chieftain? I understand it might have been one of the two Chieftains originally built for the Federal Republic of Germany to compare against Standardpanzer Leopard (with the other now at APG?. My EM is dick_mel@btinternet.com

Thanks in advance!

DT
I always appreciate those who try to help, it is a great indication of us functioning as a community.

DT

June 17th, 2015, 5:56 am #6

Thanks in advance!

DT
We could not access my photos from Fort Benning. However, we did look at a website called "Preserved Tanks".

Some information from Unique ID 341 provided a rail head photo of the vehicle and the text stated that it displayed 65 MS 99 on the right rear mud flap. It also read that this was a Mk.1 that had been sold to Germany.

Maybe this will be of some value to you,

Respectfully,
Allen