Chieftain Mk11 WIP

This "virtual workbench" is hosted by Robert Oehler and Brett Green, and is designed so that Missing-lynx readers can share their "in progress" photos with the rest of the readership and generate constructive discussions. Participation is open to all Missing-lynx visitors.

Chieftain Mk11 WIP

June 8th, 2012, 5:00 am #1

Just finished painting the M109 and in the middle of painting the CR1 when I got a Chieftain kit from our local online auction site at my sort of price. So the poor old Chally has been abandoned again as I just could not resist the urge to get stuck in to some nice white styrene.

Hardly scratched the surface (could be a pun there) but its a start;-
Hull armour added, plus trackguard brackets, and redundant holes filled
[/IMG]
Raised engine bay using kit item plus a spare.
[/IMG]
Commanders cupola part modified. Still have to do some detailing and build a GPMG mount.
[/IMG]
Exhaust box, Clansman box, drivers hatch and whatever the panel is on the turret roof aft of the Com cupola!
[/IMG]
Rear stowge bins.
[/IMG]
NBC pack.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Hope thats of interest.
Regards Dave

June 8th, 2012, 6:24 am #2

And ponder the ancient Tamiya kit I have in the stash still sealed for about 20years...

Thanks for the 'Insperation' and wonder...

Matt

June 8th, 2012, 6:27 am #3

Just finished painting the M109 and in the middle of painting the CR1 when I got a Chieftain kit from our local online auction site at my sort of price. So the poor old Chally has been abandoned again as I just could not resist the urge to get stuck in to some nice white styrene.

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
Commanders cupola part modified. Still have to do some detailing and build a GPMG mount.
[/IMG]
Exhaust box, Clansman box, drivers hatch and whatever the panel is on the turret roof aft of the Com cupola!
[/IMG]
Rear stowge bins.
[/IMG]
NBC pack.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Hope thats of interest.
Regards Dave
Great scratch building. Please keep photographing your work as it goes.

Regards
Ian

June 8th, 2012, 7:21 am #4

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
Rear stowge bins.
[/IMG]
NBC pack.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Hope thats of interest.
Regards Dave
They look very realistic.

And the scratch work is very impressive.

Cheers,

Christophe

June 8th, 2012, 8:08 am #5

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
Rear stowge bins.
[/IMG]
NBC pack.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Hope thats of interest.
Regards Dave
hi Dave

nice so far but a long way to go yet.
are you going to change the shape of the turret especially the rear part and add the air intakes under the rear busle.
if you want any pictures let me know i walk in to the tank museum or go down the tank range at lulworth
will it have TOGS and turret add on armour as well? will you use AA turret.
love the details so far keedep it up . look forward to seeing it finished .
Ossie

June 8th, 2012, 7:33 pm #6

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
Rear stowge bins.
[/IMG]
NBC pack.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Hope thats of interest.
Regards Dave
Dave-
that is great looking scratch work!

Please keep posting your progress!

Steve
Last edited by SteveReid on June 8th, 2012, 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 9th, 2012, 1:20 am #7

Great scratch building. Please keep photographing your work as it goes.

Regards
Ian
Thanks Matt & Ian n/t

June 9th, 2012, 1:23 am #8

They look very realistic.

And the scratch work is very impressive.

Cheers,

Christophe
Thanks Christophe. The weld seams are just stretched sprue. I soak the sprue in liquid cement for a while to really soften it and then place it on the model; that bit can be a bit tricky sometimes. Once in position I give it wipe with the cement brush and then prod it with the ends of my pointed tweezers.

Regards Dave

June 9th, 2012, 1:29 am #9

hi Dave

nice so far but a long way to go yet.
are you going to change the shape of the turret especially the rear part and add the air intakes under the rear busle.
if you want any pictures let me know i walk in to the tank museum or go down the tank range at lulworth
will it have TOGS and turret add on armour as well? will you use AA turret.
love the details so far keedep it up . look forward to seeing it finished .
Ossie
Thanks for you comments Ossie.

Not aware of how much the turret shape needs changing so had no plans to do so. Is it significant?

Yes it will have TOGS. I will be scratching the TOGS boxes and the turret armour - the boxes are easy but I have not worked out how I will tackle the armour yet. Might take a Scotch or two to help work it out!

Regards Dave

June 9th, 2012, 1:29 am #10

Dave-
that is great looking scratch work!

Please keep posting your progress!

Steve
Thanks Steve n/t
Last edited by Dave Foster on June 9th, 2012, 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.