Cheeky Shermans

Hosted by John Prigent and Steve Zaloga, this is a discussion group dedicated to the armoured forces of the many Allied nations of the Second World War.

Cheeky Shermans

February 25th, 2012, 1:53 am #1

I'm hoping to pick the brains of the experts here about the turret applique armor applied to the right turret cheek of M4 tanks.

Who was responsible for installing this cheek armor? The manufacturer, or was this done somewhere else after manufacture was complete? What regulated the size and shape of this piece?

I ask this because I've been staring at pictures of this armor lately, and there seems to be significant variations in the shape, and even the way it is welded up.

Thanks in advance,
Yours,
James D. Gray

February 25th, 2012, 3:18 am #2

The turret armor reinforcement was controlled by ordnance drawing E8553 that specified the thickness and location of the armor additions to turret casting D50878. There were two types, cast and rolled plate. The cast reinforcements were 1 3/4 inches thick, while the rolled plate were 1 1/2 inches.

The armor was added to turrets at the factory or in Depots if the tank had already been delivered. In some cases the reinforcement was added to tanks in the hands of troops.

Mike Canaday

February 25th, 2012, 3:26 am #3

I'm hoping to pick the brains of the experts here about the turret applique armor applied to the right turret cheek of M4 tanks.

Who was responsible for installing this cheek armor? The manufacturer, or was this done somewhere else after manufacture was complete? What regulated the size and shape of this piece?

I ask this because I've been staring at pictures of this armor lately, and there seems to be significant variations in the shape, and even the way it is welded up.

Thanks in advance,
Yours,
James D. Gray
Mil Mod had an excellent article on this by Kurt Laughlin. It was in Vol 35 No 12 from 2005.
Check your inbox
Al