Chaco War Vickers Tank Camouflage Scheme

Hosted by Francois Gousse this discussion group is dedicated to AFV's of the First World War from all countries as well as tank development during the 1920s and 1930s.

Chaco War Vickers Tank Camouflage Scheme

November 21st, 2011, 3:33 pm #1

Having just received Osprey`s new "Chaco" book I was pleased to see a photo within of a recently captured Bolivian Vickers tank which clearly displays the standard Vickers camouflage scheme - composite scan from the book :-

The books bibliography mentions a certain book "Los tanques en la Guerra del Chaco" by Luis Antezana published ( Cima Editores 2010 ) does anyone have knowledge of this book ?

November 28th, 2011, 12:56 pm #2

Hi Stirling

I have been looking around, but have found no source to buy this book. I would also be interested to have it.

What do you think about the Osprey title?

Cheers,
Peter

November 28th, 2011, 1:46 pm #3

As far as it's known in Bolivian sources, the 3 Mk.E received in February of 1933 (VAE446, VAE447 and VAE532) were painted at factory in dark green. They received additional sand spots or bands before it's arrival to Fortin Munoz in March of 1930. After the capture of the VAE532 and VAE446, seems like Paraguay applied to them the 3-tone cammo painting which were in use until VAE446 was sold to the Spanish Republic and the VAE532 was put as a monument at Asuncion. At that point VAE532 got new light gray paint that was used until its return to Bolivia in 1994, when it received again the original dark green.
The known pics with the 3-tone are not known in the Bolivian archives.
I already got the book from osprey is not so accurate, and commits serious mistakes. being one the use of Antezana's book as a source. I also have that one and found serious contradictions.

November 28th, 2011, 3:07 pm #4

Thanks a lot, Rodrigo.

What references would you recommend for anyone interested in the Chaco War (not only concerning the tanks)? Also sources in Spanish would be ok, since I read (and understand) it.

Any idea what this sand camouflage looked like?

Cheers,
Peter

November 29th, 2011, 4:23 pm #5

Peter, Rodrigo - the Osprey book is one of the very few English language books dealing with the Chaco War - there have been MANY books printed in Paraguay & Bolivia dealing with the subject, that alone makes the Osprey book worthwhile whatever it`s mistakes, the photo Rodrigo mentions is from the Paraguayan "Cuartel de la Victoria" collection and shows the twin turreted Vickers captured from the Bolivians, the camouflage seems to be the original Vickers Company paint scheme ( there appears to be some bullet strikes on the hull paintwork )how & why the Paraguayans would go to all the trouble of re-painting this tank in it`s original Vickers scheme beats me !

November 29th, 2011, 7:18 pm #6

As far as it's known in Bolivian sources, the 3 Mk.E received in February of 1933 (VAE446, VAE447 and VAE532) were painted at factory in dark green. They received additional sand spots or bands before it's arrival to Fortin Munoz in March of 1930. After the capture of the VAE532 and VAE446, seems like Paraguay applied to them the 3-tone cammo painting which were in use until VAE446 was sold to the Spanish Republic and the VAE532 was put as a monument at Asuncion. At that point VAE532 got new light gray paint that was used until its return to Bolivia in 1994, when it received again the original dark green.
The known pics with the 3-tone are not known in the Bolivian archives.
I already got the book from osprey is not so accurate, and commits serious mistakes. being one the use of Antezana's book as a source. I also have that one and found serious contradictions.
In Adrian J. English's "The Green Hell" (Spellmount Ltd., 2007, ISBN 978 1 86227 445 7) in the photo section between pages 96 and 97 there are two photographs of Bolivian Vickers Mark E Type A's in the field, showing this Vickers camouflage pattern (photo's 19 and 21), the latter being located at Nanawa acording to the caption). The same Nanawa shot is to be found on the internet, but there the resolution is not high enough to see clearly (http://anthrocivitas.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7240 )

November 29th, 2011, 7:43 pm #7

Thanks Mario, I`ll have to get a copy of that book, Peter - Miami dealer for Chaco Tanque book :-

http://www.booksur.com/component/page,s ... /Itemid,3/

November 29th, 2011, 10:53 pm #8

Peter, Rodrigo - the Osprey book is one of the very few English language books dealing with the Chaco War - there have been MANY books printed in Paraguay & Bolivia dealing with the subject, that alone makes the Osprey book worthwhile whatever it`s mistakes, the photo Rodrigo mentions is from the Paraguayan "Cuartel de la Victoria" collection and shows the twin turreted Vickers captured from the Bolivians, the camouflage seems to be the original Vickers Company paint scheme ( there appears to be some bullet strikes on the hull paintwork )how & why the Paraguayans would go to all the trouble of re-painting this tank in it`s original Vickers scheme beats me !

Here is a shot showing the tank shortly after capture and although it is dusty the Vickers camo scheme can be seen:

November 30th, 2011, 12:38 pm #9

Thanks Mario, I`ll have to get a copy of that book, Peter - Miami dealer for Chaco Tanque book :-

n/t

December 1st, 2011, 6:12 pm #10

I tried to order the book there... the next day I received an e-mail cancelling the order, without giving a reason.

Any idea?

Peter