Celluclay

The Dioramas discussion group is hosted by Marijn Van Gils and is dedicated to all aspects of military model dioramas.

Celluclay

Ron FRANK
Ron FRANK

May 4th, 2002, 7:46 am #1

Hi,

This probabley is a stupid question but ....

I am reading about making dio's (never made one before) in a book of mr. Paine.

He is using a product called Celluclay, but i don't know what it is and where can I find this? I live in Belgium (Genk - Limburg)

Thanks for the info

Ron

G Creager
G Creager

May 5th, 2002, 1:03 am #2

Celluclay is a fibrous material that was once in vogue for producing a base for your groundwork. it's not used as much anymore, since there are better products available. personally, i prefer Durham's wood putty as the basic ingredient in my groundwork. it has a good working time, is water soluble, and can be carved with X-acto knives. into this, i embed my scale "dirt & rocks" while the wood putty is firm, but not set.

Durham's wood putty is primarily used by carpenters to fill holes in wood. typically, you'd would fill a hole with this material, let it set, and then work the material with normal wood tools. this brand of wood putty comes as a powder. you thoroughly mix it with water and carpenter's glue, and you get a consistency something like warm cookie dough. it starts setting within 15 minutes or so, and fully cures overnight. you can find it in the USA in home improvement stores (Home Depot) and hardware stores. there should be similar products in your country.

Gray Creager
asicsuccess@86yahoo.com - "86" the 86

martin tabony
martin tabony

May 5th, 2002, 12:29 pm #3

I think this is a similar air drying clay, made in Germany and easily available in Great Britain, so I think you could probably find it in Belgian art and craft shops.
cheers Martin

May 5th, 2002, 11:16 pm #4

Hi,

He is using a product called Celluclay, but i don't know what it is and where can I find this? I live in Belgium (Genk - Limburg)

Thanks for the info

Ron
Hi Ron,
Celluclay is a paper mache type material you mix with water and white glue, the white glue to help adhere to your base, it is inexpensive and you can get it at any hobby or craft store. I like using it, it is easy to use and creates a good looking ground texture. The drying time depends on the material you use for creating hills or rises. It takes 24 hours or longer to cure, which could be a good or bad thing, it doesn't bother me how long it takes. It is made by Activa.
Hope this helps
George

May 6th, 2002, 4:43 am #5

Hi,

Thanks for the info

Ron
Ron, better contact the people from the KMK (Kempische Modelbouw Klub)
They live in and around Geel and you will be able to learn loads of stuff from them. The dio on top of this page is by one of them (Marijn van Gils)
You can meet all of them (and Twenot as well) at the modelling show in Haselt next October.
A good alternative for Celluclay is this: shift some very fine sand and mix it with a milky dillution of white woodglue and water.
Dries rockhard.

Oh, better use your email adress in your future postings, it's the policy for this website.
Cheers
Rob
Bergen op Zoom

marijn van gils
marijn van gils

May 7th, 2002, 8:06 am #6

Hi,

Thanks for the info

Ron
hello Ron,

as you live in Genk, you probably won't be able to find celluclay indeed. I mostly use Porion (now also hard to find) or Pollyfilla.
Look in big hardware stores (doe-het-zelvers zoals BRICO of GAMMA) for the interior/exterior mortar/plaster fillers and make your choice: most of the ones will do fine. Mostly there is a choice of exterior filler (often like a pre-mixed cement in a plastic pot) and interior filler (often a plaster like powder in a carton box that you have to mix with water). Both have their uses, but I prefer the exterior filler for basic groundwork. Good luck, and you are welcome any time!

Marijn

Ron FRANK
Ron FRANK

May 7th, 2002, 8:37 am #7

Hi,

Thanks for the info

Ron