Caterpillar dozers in Vietnam

The Modern AFV discussion group is hosted by Erik Gustavsson and covers the variety of AFVs used by all nations in the post WWII era.

Caterpillar dozers in Vietnam

July 23rd, 2012, 7:46 pm #1

Hi,

I recently acquired Model Miniatures 1/72 "Bulldozer D-7 Vietnam version":

I'm trying to assess exactly what the kit represents. As far as I have been able to find out, the US Army used Caterpillar D7, D8 and D9 dozers in Vietnam. I've found a handful of photos online, but not knowing anything about dozers, I'm hard-pressed to tell which model is which. So I was wondering if anyone could clarify:

1. Exactly which model(s) of Cat D7 were used by the US Army in Vietnam?
2. Are there any obvious distinguishing characteristics between the different Cat models?

thanks,
Will

July 23rd, 2012, 9:56 pm #2

Will,

Having wanted to do this in 1/5 I have researched this extensively. The CAT D7E was the most common dozer utilized for Rome Plow operations. The kit as pictured is a D7E and is correct as some dozers did run the standard bull blade with the Romw Plow cab enclosure. Typically the dozer ran a C-frame with a Rome Plow Landclearing Blade. I actually have the TM for the rome plow kit that was applied to the stnadard D7E dozer. Drop me a line.

Rick

July 23rd, 2012, 11:21 pm #3

Rick,
After visiting Ft Leonard Wood and taking some pics at the Engineer Museum, I got the itch to build a D7E Rome Plow. I plan on using the Tank Workshop resin kit and scratching the blade and Rome installed ROPS. I could also use any TM info on the Rome ROPS and the plow. It will, hopefully save me from having to drive to Fort Wood (again) or Hood to climb on the surviving Rome Plow examples.

John
John Charvat
President, Armor Modeling & Preservation Society

July 23rd, 2012, 11:59 pm #4

John,

I can scan the TM and e-mail a pdf. The tank workshop kit is a D8 model. I have found evidence of D7 and D9 Rome Plows but never an 8. Send me an e-mail and I will work on a scan of the TM.

Rick

July 24th, 2012, 12:18 am #5

Rick,

Would you please send me a copy of the TM also as I have wanted to do a plow for my old AMT Cat kit.

Tom O.
towens@cinci.rr.com

July 24th, 2012, 5:05 am #6

Will,

Having wanted to do this in 1/5 I have researched this extensively. The CAT D7E was the most common dozer utilized for Rome Plow operations. The kit as pictured is a D7E and is correct as some dozers did run the standard bull blade with the Romw Plow cab enclosure. Typically the dozer ran a C-frame with a Rome Plow Landclearing Blade. I actually have the TM for the rome plow kit that was applied to the stnadard D7E dozer. Drop me a line.

Rick
Hi Rick

I' am just working on a Viet nam War D7 dozer (but in 1/35).
I have the D7 from TWS. Wich details from the kit are permitting you to say that this is a D8 dozer ? TIA
I have compare crude measurements with datas and for me the TWS CAT looks like a D7

Otherwise the TWS rear winch is totally wrong (the MM Cat is accurate to this point)

I'am interested with the Rome plough TM TIA

pascalbausset@remove gmail.com

pascal bausset

July 24th, 2012, 10:01 pm #7

Pascal,

First off the TWS kit contains a 6 cylinder engine. A D7E is a 4 cylinder. Easy to convert. Once completed then the hood and track sponsons must be shortened. Additionally the detail and roller position on the lower sponson does not amtch a D7E. I have a D7E TM somewhere about although not readily at hand. Hope I haven't spoiled your build.

Rick

July 25th, 2012, 2:27 am #8

A four cylinder? Wow, I thought they all had 6 cylinder engines, you learn something new every day!!
Shane

Just enough knowledge to be dangerous, but not enough to help anyone.
Last edited by ShaneGowan on July 25th, 2012, 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

July 25th, 2012, 5:02 am #9

Hi guys
this is the Cat I scratch built a few years ago to go with my M123 Draggin wagon. I used a set of die cast tracks from a 1/50 scale CAT d9 carry crawler. Except for the tracks and the engine (parts box) the whole unit is scratch.

for some more of the build pics check here:
http://news.webshots.com/album/219849710rjjKKH
hope this is of some help
Seeya Shane

July 25th, 2012, 7:55 am #10

Pascal,

First off the TWS kit contains a 6 cylinder engine. A D7E is a 4 cylinder. Easy to convert. Once completed then the hood and track sponsons must be shortened. Additionally the detail and roller position on the lower sponson does not amtch a D7E. I have a D7E TM somewhere about although not readily at hand. Hope I haven't spoiled your build.

Rick
Cat D7E are powered by a 4 cylinders engine.

BUT, the D7F (my reference TM 5-2410-233-10 from 28 november 1972)were powered by a turbo charged model D333CT 6- cylinder diesel engine.

Now the question is : were the D7F used during Viet-Nam war ?

Thanks Rick for the precisions.
pascal bausset
Last edited by pascalbausset on July 25th, 2012, 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.