Canon Rebel XT questions-

This discussion group is is hosted by Robert Oehler and dedicated to the art of photographing models. Subjects include tips & techniques, equipment, lighting, and digital photography.

Canon Rebel XT questions-

August 8th, 2005, 2:04 pm #1

I jut picked up a new camera- a Canon Rebel XT. Obviously coming from a Sony 3 megapixel Mavica to an 8 mega pixel Canon is a big leap. I have questions about a macro lens - which one is best for this camera?

I bought one with the camera but the focal distance is too great. The lens that came with the camera is what I am currently using. It has the infinite focal distance. Is there a Macro Lens with the same capabilities available?

What I need is extreme close up capabilities for articles - yet nice detailed pics of the whole vehicle or diorama. Also, does anyone have a suggestion for a wide angle lens for getting dios in the shot without sacrificing detail or macro settings?

Thank you- any and all help will be greatly appreciated-

James

September 11th, 2005, 12:28 pm #2

As a film photographer for more than 35 years, who just went digital, I feel your pain and have some advice for you.

1. As wonderful as today's lenses are with their long zoom ranges and close-focus capabilities, one lens can never do it all. Although they come damn close!

2. These kinds of lenses can close-focus on something, but cannot get close enough for detail shots. For that you need a dedicated macro lens, which can be costly (I am going to save my pennies for one of thiose, since I photograph other's Braille Scale models for them...try getting detail photos of those tiny tanks!!). You may also wish to see if there are add-on lenses (that screw on like a filter) which will allow you to get closer to the subject.

3. The same goes for wide-angle lenses that can focus closely. The zoom lens that came with the camera cannot do it all (mine can't!). So, you may also wish to consider a fixed-focal length wide-angle lens, which MAY have such a capability (my old Nikon 28mm lens has "floating elements", which allows it to do just that). But these things are not cheap.

Frank

delete BYTEME from email