Canon Macro Lens

This discussion group is is hosted by Robert Oehler and dedicated to the art of photographing models. Subjects include tips & techniques, equipment, lighting, and digital photography.

Canon Macro Lens

September 20th, 2011, 12:51 pm #1

Hello,

I have a question about the macro lens. I have a canon EOS 400 D and I want to buy a macro lens. I hesitate between a canon EF-S 60 mm f2.8 macro USM and a canon EF 100 mm f2.8 USM macro what is the difference and the best objectif for modelling pictures.

Thank a lot for your help.

Antoine

September 22nd, 2011, 1:32 am #2

I have a suggestion for you. Why not get a digital camera with image-stabilizing? I have a Canon SX30IS and it does a really good job for me. My reason for the recommendation is three-fold. #1) You can get it for $350.00,with battery(new from Amazon)so you save $100.00 or so over the lens. #2)You can trash the tripod,which gives you greater freedom. #3)Great all-around camera;has 35x Zoom,etc,etc. Also,camera senses when it needs Macro-mode,so you don't forget to set it. Very user-friendly. By the way,I just used my camera as an example because I am familiar with it and I know it is on sale now. However,if you have professional aspirations,go with the add-on for your camera. Keep us posted and let me know what you decide........Dan

September 23rd, 2011, 4:59 am #3

Hello,

I have a question about the macro lens. I have a canon EOS 400 D and I want to buy a macro lens. I hesitate between a canon EF-S 60 mm f2.8 macro USM and a canon EF 100 mm f2.8 USM macro what is the difference and the best objectif for modelling pictures.

Antoine
http://www.dpreview.com/products/canon/ ... _2p8_macro

and

http://www.dpreview.com/products/canon/ ... 00_2p8_usm

I am assuming that since you have a Canon EOS 400 D, that the numbers in these reviews will make more sense to you than they do to me.

The EF-S 60mm has a minimum focus distance of 7.87" and the EF 100mm has a minimum focus of 12.2". For me that distance affects the way the macro images look. Too far away. I would prefer a minimum focus distance of less than one inch. But of course at that range, I also have trouble with keeping the shadow of the lens off of the subject.

I know this doesn't really answer your question, but I hope the two reviews will help.

Cheers,
Val

PS Here are some of my MACRO shots.

THis is Tamiya's new BSA motorcycle taken with a point and shoot in macro mode:

DML's 1/72 scale Ha-Go taken with a Sony H50 (a high end compact with 1" focus distance). This is what a photo with a MACRO lens will look like with it's narow depth of field:

Tamiya's Military Policeman taken with the Sony H50:

Same figure parts taken with a cheap Sony W-30:

Batmobile taken with the H50 at less than 3" away:

Academy/Tamiya kit bash taken with the H50 less than 2" from the model:

With enough light and a tripod, any camera can take MACRO photos. The W-30 was less than $200. The H50 was about $400.

September 24th, 2011, 3:15 am #4

set the depth of field to the highest #(smallest hole) for the camera. My camera(SX30IS)has F8,which should be good enough for model pictures in any scale. My macro-mode will focus at 0.00 m/m. If I take pictures at around 5" from the model,it will focus without macro on. It is also a lot easier taking pictures at a show without a tripod. I haven't used one in years. Just leave image-stabilizing on and shoot........Dan

December 27th, 2011, 4:21 pm #5

Hello,

Antoine
Hi Antoine

I'm an infrequent visitor to M-L, so apologies if this response is too late

I use the EF-S 60mm with my EOS 7D. The 1.6 crop factor with APS-C sensor cameras means you have a 96mm macro lens in effect.

I shoot on an Electric Blue background with 2~3 daylight desk lamps, and Canon macro flash if required.

The lens stops down to F32 for good depth of field when using a tripod and remote release.

I hope this is of some help.

Simon
Last edited by Simon Hammerton on December 27th, 2011, 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.