Calling radio experts, which set most likely for Panzerspähwagen Skoda PA-II(Fu)?

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

Calling radio experts, which set most likely for Panzerspähwagen Skoda PA-II(Fu)?

September 30th, 2017, 5:29 pm #1

Hi,

I plan on building the HobbyBoss kit with the Takom frame antenna leftover from another project.

I would like to do a basic interior, which radio set would have been used do you think, and where could I source it in 1/35 in a kit or as an aftermarket item?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Cheers,

Christophe
Last edited by ChristopheJacquemont on September 30th, 2017, 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 1st, 2017, 1:10 pm #2

That's a tough one.

Generally, (apart from early in the war), most "standard" panzers were fitted with an Fu.2 and Fu.5, giving them the ability to transmit and receive. In the early part of the war only platoon leader vehicles had both; the rest of the platoon had just the receiver (Fu2). Whether the same applied to the turtle is hard to say.

In 1/35th;

CMK B35076 gives you the transmitter and receiver(s) but nothing else, (judging by a photo).

Aber 35 A079 is very comprehensive, but being entirely photo etched is an absolute !*$?^* to assemble.

North Star Models - Nr. NS35067. This looks to be very detailed, giving you different Umformers and Kasten, as well as a loudspeaker box, and even headphones and a morse key.

I cannot comment on the quality of any of these or their current availability. Google Fu2 and Fu5.

If you have any interior photos of the vehicle, it may be able to ID the equipment from them.

HTH

Ian
Last edited by Ian Alderman on October 1st, 2017, 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 1st, 2017, 3:27 pm #3

... will have to guesstimate things.

There's not a whole lot of space inside as there are two drivers stations, one on each side to be able to drive forwards or backwards quickly, I guess the radios would be in the middle.

Have you seen configurations where one radio is stacked on top of the other one?

Cheers,

Christophe
Last edited by ChristopheJacquemont on October 1st, 2017, 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 1st, 2017, 4:12 pm #4

Hi Christophe,

yes, 2 can be stacked on top of each other. That was quite common, particularly when the equipment was positioned over the transmission. If you Google "jacques littlefield panther restoration", you will get images of this arrangement. I don't think 3 were ever stacked in a panzer; not enough headroom.

Another sourchttp://www.mrmodellbau.com/_shop/produc ... cts_id=761

Kind regards,

Ian
Last edited by Ian Alderman on October 1st, 2017, 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 1st, 2017, 6:55 pm #5

That's a tough one.

Generally, (apart from early in the war), most "standard" panzers were fitted with an Fu.2 and Fu.5, giving them the ability to transmit and receive. In the early part of the war only platoon leader vehicles had both; the rest of the platoon had just the receiver (Fu2). Whether the same applied to the turtle is hard to say.

In 1/35th;

CMK B35076 gives you the transmitter and receiver(s) but nothing else, (judging by a photo).

Aber 35 A079 is very comprehensive, but being entirely photo etched is an absolute !*$?^* to assemble.

North Star Models - Nr. NS35067. This looks to be very detailed, giving you different Umformers and Kasten, as well as a loudspeaker box, and even headphones and a morse key.

I cannot comment on the quality of any of these or their current availability. Google Fu2 and Fu5.

If you have any interior photos of the vehicle, it may be able to ID the equipment from them.

HTH

Ian
Hi
I think it depends on the what the vehicle is being used for. The reconnaissance and command vehicles used different radio set ups depending on their role. Certainly the tanks used the Fu2/5 as Ian states

As this is an armoured car maybe this vehicle could used the same radios as a sdkfz 223/261/263 which were not Fu2 or 5.

Regards
Andrew

October 1st, 2017, 8:38 pm #6

Andrew is absolutely right. I don't know why I was thinking of tanks rather than armoured cars.

The equipment carried would probably have been only a fusprech and nothing more. It is possible, (but unlikely), that some had the Fu 12 and a fusprech.

Apologies for the bum steer.

Ian

October 2nd, 2017, 12:31 am #7

Hi,

I plan on building the HobbyBoss kit with the Takom frame antenna leftover from another project.

I would like to do a basic interior, which radio set would have been used do you think, and where could I source it in 1/35 in a kit or as an aftermarket item?

Cheers,

Christophe
Hi Christophe,
A frame antenna, to my knowledge, is an indication of the presence of a FuG 8 or another high powered set. I would imagine that there would be a second set of radios, so that vehicle can act as a relay..
Trevor
Last edited by Trevor Ware on October 2nd, 2017, 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

October 2nd, 2017, 9:14 am #8

I would go more with the Fu 11 which was used in SdKfz 263 although.
And more common in early war than Fu8
best tegards
Jörg

October 3rd, 2017, 5:51 pm #9

Mr Modellbau sells resin FU8 with transformers. I have purchased SdKfz 251/8 conversion kit and overseas delivery was relatively quick.

http://www.mrmodellbau.com/_shop/produc ... cts_id=762

October 5th, 2017, 1:13 am #10

Hi,

Cheers,

Christophe
Great to get so much insight on this forum.

Cheers,

Christophe