Bulgarian Tankette (L3/33)

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

Bulgarian Tankette (L3/33)

June 18th, 2012, 8:48 pm #1

Looking into the Bulgarian use of the Italian L3 tankettes. A tough question..... But ever optimistic - does anyone have a photo or drawing showing either (a) the way that the Schwarzlose MG tripod was secured on the rear deck, or (b) the mount in the front barbette, showing the appearance at the front?

Fairly esoteric stuff....

Chris

Chris Lloyd-Staples
MAFVA Information Officer
Last edited by Chris Lloyd-Staples on June 19th, 2012, 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 18th, 2012, 9:54 pm #2

Chris

I can help with this as I researched the Bulgarian CV-33 for a model subject some years back (nice camouflage scheme). The MG mounting can be seen fairly clearly in the photo below (from the internet) and in photos of Austrian CV-33's with the same armament, I believe. I will e-mail you a few of the Austrian photos.

The MG tripod mount on the rear engine deck is a bit harder as few photos show it clearly. However, there is one in the Bulgarian-language book on Bulgarian AFVs 1935-45 - published a few years ago now. I will scan this in and send you a copy as well, but it will be tomorrow. It looked to me that the mount was secured to a plate attached to the engine deck between the two main hatches.

If you are modelling this subject, remember that the Bulgarians were one of the first export customers for the CV-33 and the tankettes they received were a very early version: this had a fair number of detail differences with the main production model.

Andy Lang

June 18th, 2012, 9:55 pm #3

Looking into the Bulgarian use of the Italian L3 tankettes. A tough question..... But ever optimistic - does anyone have a photo or drawing showing either (a) the way that the Schwarzlose MG tripod was secured on the rear deck, or (b) the mount in the front barbette, showing the appearance at the front?

Fairly esoteric stuff....

Chris

Chris Lloyd-Staples
Chris

I can help with this as I researched the Bulgarian CV-33 for a model subject some years back (nice camouflage scheme). The MG mounting can be seen fairly clearly in the photo below (from the internet) and in photos of Austrian CV-33's with the same armament, I believe. I will e-mail you a few of the Austrian photos.

The MG tripod mount on the rear engine deck is a bit harder as few photos show it clearly. However, there is one in the Bulgarian-language book on Bulgarian AFVs 1935-45 - published a few years ago now. I will scan this in and send you a copy as well, but it will be tomorrow. It looked to me that the mount was secured to a plate attached to the engine deck between the two main hatches.

If you are modelling this subject, remember that the Bulgarians were one of the first export customers for the CV-33 and the tankettes they received were a very early version: this had a fair number of detail differences with the main production model.

Andy Lang

June 19th, 2012, 6:56 am #4

I have the Bulgarian book you refer to, and there are some fuzzy photos which don't entirely resolve what the tripod mount looked like. I have the new Schwarzlose from MasterClub, and I know which parts in the photo are the tripod gizmos, and hence what must be the mounting bracket. Sadly, the detail is just not there.

Your photo of the front barbette is the best I have, so many thanks for that. If you or anyone else can come up with more detail of the tripod mount, I'd be very pleased!

Thanks again,

Chris

Chris Lloyd-Staples