Build log of Rodens Panzerwerfer 42...

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

Build log of Rodens Panzerwerfer 42...

November 20th, 2011, 9:35 pm #1

I'd picked this kit up recently an am very impressed with its appearance on the sprues.

The following link is to an ongoing build log, posted by a guy who's constructing the Roden Panzerwerfer.

Pretty informative stuff for those interested in this little monster, and provides a substantial sneak peek if you've yet to pick one up.

http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op= ... _id=179317

Also, the following link is to an ongoing build log of Rodens Opel Bus.

http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op= ... 370&page=1

Cheers,
Peter

Last edited by petersisung on November 20th, 2011, 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 21st, 2011, 11:08 am #2

As I'm working on the same kit, I'm curious to find out what he makes of the suspension units. In my opinion it is too filmsy and I just hope that it will take the strain when the tracks go on.

The kit a does have some serious mounting points to the sprue and removing them is a delicate drag. I don't know what it is with the plastic that Roden uses but it is very soft. It feels like butter when cutting it with a knive and it doesn't sand that well.

Until now my main dissapointment with this kit is that the main attraction and focal point of this model, the actual werfer itself, doesn't come together that well. The mouths of the tubes are irregular and oblongish and I still have to try to fix that.

November 21st, 2011, 1:21 pm #3

Would it be possible for you to post a pic or two Henry?

Cheers,
Peter

November 21st, 2011, 6:27 pm #4

Unfortunately my "el cheapo" digital camera refuses to focus on such small items as the rockettubes ends.

In order to get rid of the squint I already drilled out the barrels. Yet still an anoying squint is left. Sofar I haven't decided if I'm going to fill up the barrels entirely and then drill them out again. As the outer edges are a bit irregular as well, that option will probably not solve the problem to my satisfaction.

So the solution that I tend to lean towards is cutting the ends off completely and replacing those with appropiate round tubes.

November 21st, 2011, 10:39 pm #5

Would it be possible for you to post a pic or two Henry?

Cheers,
Peter
Hello

I have to agree with Henry (and others who have posted the same in the past) about the track assembly for the Maultier (which are the same parts for this kit).

I built the Maultier when it was fairly new a few years or more back

The running gear is finely cast, but is also quite fragile, its not a heavy piece of engineering, not unlike the running gear on a bren carrier. That alone is not a big problem, but the issue is exacerbated by the fact that the tracks are the DS type one piece. That alone is not a problem, except that it is a very tight fit when joined, tight enough to put too much pressure on the parts its wrapped around, if one attempts to join the tracks.

I strengthened the running gear with metal rods, which couldn't be seen, unless displaying upside down, (fortuitously, upside down is not my preferred method of display for my models).

Even with strenghthened running gear the tracks are still a length or two short. This not only means no sag is possible, but there is also a small gap. This can be easily disguised if placed on a diorama, or something from the spares box can easily be tweaked to fill in the small gap.

I dont know if the tracks have since been lengthened, it would be against the run of what manufacturers usually do, if they have been providing new lengthened track.

I emailed the gentleman (who is a regular on that forum and by all appearances from his posts is one of the good guys) who is making that build in the link, a couple of months ago, offerring him a few spare links if he needed them, but he has not replied back as yet.

Regarding the tubes. I have the kit, but dont know when I am likely to start it, so don't want to be removing anything from the sprue (as its certain to be lost by the time I get to it).

Here are some pics. Not very good pics, but hopefully they may assist how the tubes look on the sprue for those curious to see.

cheers
NLyall

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Last edited by neilyall on November 21st, 2011, 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neil Lyall

November 21st, 2011, 11:41 pm #6

I believe I'll be using a set of PE tracks from an ACE pz2 for this build so the track problem may not present itself.

I'm really looking forward to starting this build.

Cheers,
Peter

November 22nd, 2011, 1:06 am #7

Hi Peter

not sure how useful the pics were given you have the kit, but hopefully it may have helped others

I used tracks from the spares box on my Maultier also. I still (should) have the original tracks spare, so could send you a few track links should you wish to stay with the kit tracks, and still have plenty spare for myself when I get around to this build.

This is also presuming the tracks I have stored havent shrunk or otherwise deteriorated, which I can check, if you contact me.

cheers
Neil
Last edited by neilyall on November 22nd, 2011, 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neil Lyall

November 22nd, 2011, 3:27 pm #8

Hello

I have to agree with Henry (and others who have posted the same in the past) about the track assembly for the Maultier (which are the same parts for this kit).

I built the Maultier when it was fairly new a few years or more back

The running gear is finely cast, but is also quite fragile, its not a heavy piece of engineering, not unlike the running gear on a bren carrier. That alone is not a big problem, but the issue is exacerbated by the fact that the tracks are the DS type one piece. That alone is not a problem, except that it is a very tight fit when joined, tight enough to put too much pressure on the parts its wrapped around, if one attempts to join the tracks.

I strengthened the running gear with metal rods, which couldn't be seen, unless displaying upside down, (fortuitously, upside down is not my preferred method of display for my models).

Even with strenghthened running gear the tracks are still a length or two short. This not only means no sag is possible, but there is also a small gap. This can be easily disguised if placed on a diorama, or something from the spares box can easily be tweaked to fill in the small gap.

I dont know if the tracks have since been lengthened, it would be against the run of what manufacturers usually do, if they have been providing new lengthened track.

I emailed the gentleman (who is a regular on that forum and by all appearances from his posts is one of the good guys) who is making that build in the link, a couple of months ago, offerring him a few spare links if he needed them, but he has not replied back as yet.

Regarding the tubes. I have the kit, but dont know when I am likely to start it, so don't want to be removing anything from the sprue (as its certain to be lost by the time I get to it).

Here are some pics. Not very good pics, but hopefully they may assist how the tubes look on the sprue for those curious to see.

cheers
NLyall

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Hi Neil,

I Just test fitted the tracks and they are very tight indeed. I checked them against the tracks of the Roden Maultier and they are the same lenght.

Even while just testfitting, the suspension nearly collapsed. If one glues it into place and then tries to make it fit then, for sure, the suspension will give way.

Fortunately the tracks are made of softplastic and therefore can be streched. If streched before before it is glued onto the runninggear then it should be long enough; even to create sagging

mvg
H

November 22nd, 2011, 7:49 pm #9

Hi Peter

not sure how useful the pics were given you have the kit, but hopefully it may have helped others

I used tracks from the spares box on my Maultier also. I still (should) have the original tracks spare, so could send you a few track links should you wish to stay with the kit tracks, and still have plenty spare for myself when I get around to this build.

This is also presuming the tracks I have stored havent shrunk or otherwise deteriorated, which I can check, if you contact me.

cheers
Neil
Neil, I believe I'll stick with the ACE pe tracks on this one. I currently have 3 sets of the Roden maultier tracks and am planning to use them on a build of RPMs Renault R35. The Roden tracks appear to be spot on to the actual R35 tracks.

Also, though I do have the Roden Panzerwerfer kit, it was good that you posted the pics for others to view if they are at all curious about this beast. Sharing information of this sort in this forum is of great help to me as I'm sure it is to others.

Thanks again for the track offer and please post pics of your panzerwerfer build if you are able.

Cheers,
Peter

November 22nd, 2011, 11:44 pm #10

Hi Peter

thats useful info - I have the RPM Bergeschlepper which looks to be a great kit, excepting that the tracks on this one are smooth on the outside, and need to be replaced. I was going to use Italeri/Esci Pz I tracks on this, nice to know that the Maultier tracks will do the job too.

I'm not planning on building the Panzerwerfer anytime soon, I have a number of other projects ahead of it

cheers
Neil
Neil Lyall