BT-5 how-to....?

Hosted by John Prigent and Steve Zaloga, this is a discussion group dedicated to the armoured forces of the many Allied nations of the Second World War.

BT-5 how-to....?

May 16th, 2012, 12:55 pm #1

Hi all

Since I would like to build a reasonably accurate BT-5 tank, I was looking for the Rhino Models conversion kit for the Tamiya BT-7 kit. Now Greg Harker told me that this conversion was more or less a copy of the Italeri BT-5 upper hull.

- Can anyone let me know what would be the best way to build a BT-5?
- What are the main inaccuracies of the existing kit(s)?
- Would the Tamiya BT-7 kit be of any help?

Turret, wheels and tracks do not bother me, for the time being, since I ordered a Komplek Zip BT-5 Mariopol turret, as well as aftermarket BT-2/BT-5 wheels and BT-2/BT-5 tracks. So my main concern is the hull.

Thanks for you help, cheers,

Peter

(PS: Visit my Soviet tank photo galleries - for the moment containing only BT tank and T-26 photos - at: rathgeb.smugmug.com)

May 16th, 2012, 5:31 pm #2

According to the plans in Mil.Mod from 1994, the hull is too long, causing a weird wheel spacing. The Rhino is an upgraded copy of Zvezda and sitll have the incorrect wheel spacing. I'ii try to put some photos of my project... Oh, the bt-7 from Tamiya is only good for the turret; the rest is quite different.

regards!!

May 16th, 2012, 5:42 pm #3

Hi all

Since I would like to build a reasonably accurate BT-5 tank, I was looking for the Rhino Models conversion kit for the Tamiya BT-7 kit. Now Greg Harker told me that this conversion was more or less a copy of the Italeri BT-5 upper hull.

Turret, wheels and tracks do not bother me, for the time being, since I ordered a Komplek Zip BT-5 Mariopol turret, as well as aftermarket BT-2/BT-5 wheels and BT-2/BT-5 tracks. So my main concern is the hull.

Peter

(PS: Visit my Soviet tank photo galleries - for the moment containing only BT tank and T-26 photos - at: rathgeb.smugmug.com)
Is from Oruzhejnik (sorry) or from Komplekt Zil? I,ve searched in Soga Miniatures web site and found one un the former brand, but not in Komplekt Zil... How is it? I have the Komplekt Zil bt-5 wheels and are wonderful, and also the tracks from Masterclub, fully workable and true to scale but a nightmare to build... but i did not know that there was a turret! I have one from a german brand that I can not remember now and is chunk of resin and I am a little scared of the quality of MR Modellbau...

regards!

May 16th, 2012, 6:10 pm #4

You are right, Antonio - the turret is from Oruzhejnik. I bought a couple of Komplekt Zip items from Soga, so I got it wrong.

I have not yet received the turret, but from the photos on the Soga website it looks wonderful.

Cheers,
Peter

May 16th, 2012, 6:12 pm #5

According to the plans in Mil.Mod from 1994, the hull is too long, causing a weird wheel spacing. The Rhino is an upgraded copy of Zvezda and sitll have the incorrect wheel spacing. I'ii try to put some photos of my project... Oh, the bt-7 from Tamiya is only good for the turret; the rest is quite different.

regards!!
... that's a pity. So I think I will have to wait until Tamiya makes a BT-5. Or maybe someone will make one in Resin.

Cheers,
Peter

May 17th, 2012, 8:04 am #6

Hi all

Peter

Hi Peter,

Tamiya BT-7 kit would get you started rather well. The hull nose would be the most demanding task to build (Zvezda B-5 does not help for an accurate BT-5). And you do get easy/good tracks and driving wheels...

Cheers,
Pekka

May 20th, 2012, 7:10 am #7

Hi all

Peter

Hi Peter,

I built a BT-5 using Rhino hull & Tamiya turret, scratch-built & aftermarket stuff in 2011 (WIP pics were posted on Contructive comments subforum). In my opinion Rhino is NOT a copy of old Zvezda's kit. However it suffers from several issues, such as wheel distance, rear mudguards, poor air-intake grill and minor stuff.

I used one of ZiP's wheel set, but had to replace the bolt heads with smaller ones.
http://juy-modelling.blogspot.com