British Tanks with french Tricolore?

Hosted by John Prigent and Steve Zaloga, this is a discussion group dedicated to the armoured forces of the many Allied nations of the Second World War.

British Tanks with french Tricolore?

September 30th, 2008, 7:57 pm #1

According to The New Breed Part 1 many British vehicles carried a French Tricolore as they entered Tunis.

Was this (guessing) because the city had been a French possession and they wanted to avoid being shot at by Vichy forces?

Thanks,
Roger

September 30th, 2008, 8:20 pm #2

The existance of active Vichy forces was highly unlikely by May 1943 since and armistice with them was signed in late November 1942 and French Forces were part of the allied forces by then. You are not confusing the 1st Army RAC I.D. flash with a tricolore are you? Some French manned vehicles carried a tricolore by then.

September 30th, 2008, 8:30 pm #3

Where in "The new breed" can this info be read, I cant seem to find it...

Erik
Sweden

September 30th, 2008, 8:30 pm #4

The existance of active Vichy forces was highly unlikely by May 1943 since and armistice with them was signed in late November 1942 and French Forces were part of the allied forces by then. You are not confusing the 1st Army RAC I.D. flash with a tricolore are you? Some French manned vehicles carried a tricolore by then.
Mike it's plate F number 2A.
Caption says it's a Sherman III of 4th CLY in May 1943.

Regards,
Roger

September 30th, 2008, 11:13 pm #5

were repainted when they were moved to the 1st Army Front at the end of April.
They were also issued with canvas squares painted with RAF Roundels to aid air recognition It didn't work as 'C' Squadron (Crusaders)were attacked by US and RAF aircraft. This is documented in ' Carpiquet Bound', a CLY History and the information came from the diary of Charles Pearce, 4 Troop,'C' Squadron.

October 1st, 2008, 3:03 am #6

According to The New Breed Part 1 many British vehicles carried a French Tricolore as they entered Tunis.

Was this (guessing) because the city had been a French possession and they wanted to avoid being shot at by Vichy forces?

Thanks,
Roger
There's a fellow out there who claims early US Shermans were gaudily colored (Red, white, blue) on a site based on his interpretation of some b/w pics: www.afrikakorps.org.

Your Grant Command pic above is from that same site.

I just mention this -- I personally am unconvinced by the photos.

Roy Chow
AMPS 1st Vice President
http://www.amps-armor.org
Roy Chow
Join AMPS!

October 1st, 2008, 6:57 am #7

Thanks,
Roger
The French Flag flying from the pennat was probably there to sho solidarity with the French. I doubt it was to prevent them being fired on. As for the comments regarding Triclours on Brit and US tanks along with rainbow markings I'll leave that until some ACTUAL proof other than interpretation of B&W is shown. The claims on "that" website aren't really backed up by the "evidence' provided. The british markings claims are in opposition to documented evidence of the period.
Cheers
Al

October 1st, 2008, 11:39 am #8

were repainted when they were moved to the 1st Army Front at the end of April.
They were also issued with canvas squares painted with RAF Roundels to aid air recognition It didn't work as 'C' Squadron (Crusaders)were attacked by US and RAF aircraft. This is documented in ' Carpiquet Bound', a CLY History and the information came from the diary of Charles Pearce, 4 Troop,'C' Squadron.
Hi Michael,

Thanks for the reference. I was unaware of another book on CLY. Is there any mention of the earlier so called "dazzle scheme" of the Western Desert?

Cheers,
Mark

October 1st, 2008, 12:33 pm #9

There's a fellow out there who claims early US Shermans were gaudily colored (Red, white, blue) on a site based on his interpretation of some b/w pics: www.afrikakorps.org.

Your Grant Command pic above is from that same site.

I just mention this -- I personally am unconvinced by the photos.

Roy Chow
AMPS 1st Vice President
http://www.amps-armor.org
The same person has some very individual views on the markings applied to the Bishop 25pdr SP.

David

October 1st, 2008, 12:54 pm #10

Where in "The new breed" can this info be read, I cant seem to find it...

Erik
Sweden
Sorry Erik I posted at the same time as you!