'British' Chaffee pics and info - update

Hosted by John Prigent and Steve Zaloga, this is a discussion group dedicated to the armoured forces of the many Allied nations of the Second World War.

'British' Chaffee pics and info - update

November 7th, 2011, 8:58 pm #1

Hi
Thanks to Nigel Savage of Parabellum, he kindly sent me scans of the Chaffee in wartime use with the Brits, along with text - as an e-mail. I don't know how to upload from this (either too thick or tired).

Should you wish to assist, please ask for email copies so someone can then post on here, if poss.

Ref - Pictures and information from
"First In Last Out"
"Recce Squadron 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards 1942-1946"
1947. Reprinted version 1986.

NB Scans of turretless Recce Stuarts also available / worthwhile.

Cheers
Andrew

November 7th, 2011, 9:19 pm #2

....for e mailing them to me
regards Andrew

November 7th, 2011, 10:18 pm #3

Hi
Thanks to Nigel Savage of Parabellum, he kindly sent me scans of the Chaffee in wartime use with the Brits, along with text - as an e-mail. I don't know how to upload from this (either too thick or tired).

Should you wish to assist, please ask for email copies so someone can then post on here, if poss.

"First In Last Out"

Cheers
Andrew
I'd love to see the set Andrew and will post them up here if you want.
Cheers
Al

November 8th, 2011, 7:13 am #4

Hi

"First In Last Out"

Cheers
Andrew
nt

November 8th, 2011, 5:12 pm #5

Hi

"First In Last Out"

Cheers
Andrew
hi

i asked this question many a year ago and was told not used in combat by UK forces couple may have turned up towards the end and made it to the Berlin parade, were trailed tested in AUSTRALIA i believe
KEN JONES is the man to ask ( ex editor of mil mod)
Ossie

November 8th, 2011, 6:48 pm #6

Hi

"First In Last Out"

Cheers
Andrew
Hi Andrew
I spotted your note about recce Stuarts.

Is it possible to see what you have as Stuarts are a fave-rave of mine and I'm actually building a recce M3A3 at the moment?

Thanks very much
Mike Shackleton

November 8th, 2011, 8:22 pm #7

Hi

"First In Last Out"

Cheers
Andrew
Happy, if you could e-mail me the scans!
Thank you!
Richard

November 8th, 2011, 9:43 pm #8

Hi

"First In Last Out"

Cheers
Andrew
Dick

November 8th, 2011, 10:33 pm #9

hi

i asked this question many a year ago and was told not used in combat by UK forces couple may have turned up towards the end and made it to the Berlin parade, were trailed tested in AUSTRALIA i believe
KEN JONES is the man to ask ( ex editor of mil mod)
Ossie
There are pictures of British Chaffees festooned in wartime clutter such as the obligatory Ammo crates, RAC helmets and filthy to boot (definately not occupation spit and polish) which indicate that these were indeed used in the last months of the war. Bellamy indicates that he crewed one in his Memoirs about serving in 8 KRIH and a friend turned up a collection of private papers of a Grenadier Gds Sgt who lists the Chaffee in his papers. As the GAD were "De Tanked" within a week of the war ending that shows that they had them prior to wars end. The AFV returns indicate at least enough for three Armoured Divisions were on hand.
As for the Australian ones (2) I believe both still survive with the one at RAAC Memorial Tank Museum and the other I am told was part of the Bellfield collection and may have gone to the US when it was sold off. They were used in trials on Bougainville in 45 where one was drowned in landing trials. The AWM has pictures of these.
Al

November 9th, 2011, 12:03 am #10

Hi

"First In Last Out"

Cheers
Andrew
.......i tried to post them here but i cant do it either
regards Andrew