Bravo Hobby Boss...

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

Bravo Hobby Boss...

May 10th, 2012, 12:19 am #1

... for an excellent looking kit of the Krasnaya Zvezda Soviet Draisine. Just received my copy today and the moulding looks perfect and rivals anything out there for crispness and detail from what I can see in the box. Especially like the couplers. Wish there was some way to get them as separate items for my UM German Steyr Draisines which UM really dropped the ball on by not including them with their kits.
The KV turret looks great but I'm no expert on Soviet tanks by any means so how accurate they really are will have to come from someone else.

Only thing that may slow down the build will be replacing the 27 molded on grab handles and foot rungs. Looks like my wire bending skills will get exercised well with this kit.

al magnus
<a href="http://www.onthewaymodels.com/" rel="nofollow">
</a>
al magnus
On the Way contributor, editor & one who has no lack of success (see definition of success below).

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

May 10th, 2012, 2:35 am #2

how you doin',Al. What a great kit. I couldn't believe that they molded the whole car as a single piece,with all the rivet detail provided. Also,the provided track and rail is really nice. Could be a nice KV series comin' down the Pike,too. It would be very welcome if they do L/L track with a pre-sagged top run. The Armored Railcar is well worth the price......Dan

May 10th, 2012, 6:33 pm #3

.. though not much modeling work has been done lately. Spring/summer is finally here and the yard work etc. is keeping me from the work bench for now. Also preparing for the Western Canadian Regionals in Edmonton in a few weeks so that's got my attention modelling wise for now.

This Hobby Boss kit is superb and just show how well something can be made if some attention to detail is done. It would be nice if they'd scale down their 1/35 scale V-100 series to 1/72 scale. That would definitely get my attention in a hurry.

al
al magnus
On the Way contributor, editor & one who has no lack of success (see definition of success below).

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

May 11th, 2012, 11:38 pm #4

... for an excellent looking kit of the Krasnaya Zvezda Soviet Draisine. Just received my copy today and the moulding looks perfect and rivals anything out there for crispness and detail from what I can see in the box. Especially like the couplers. Wish there was some way to get them as separate items for my UM German Steyr Draisines which UM really dropped the ball on by not including them with their kits.
The KV turret looks great but I'm no expert on Soviet tanks by any means so how accurate they really are will have to come from someone else.

Only thing that may slow down the build will be replacing the 27 molded on grab handles and foot rungs. Looks like my wire bending skills will get exercised well with this kit.

al magnus
<a href="http://www.onthewaymodels.com/" rel="nofollow">
</a>
I'm always happy to see any new release of the more unusual subjects

Though I have to question the price tag on this one, at around $40 for a single car, it does not price favourably against similar soviet rail cars by other manufacturers.

Glad to hear the casting is of high standard, but 27 moulded on rungs & handrails ? For the price you would kind of hope they were separate pieces, as you said you will now have to carefully scrape and sand them off, then carefully make & affix 27 new ones.

Even Armaggedon which sets the standard for "bad" provided separate rungs on their armoured train units, even though they were so badly cast they had to be replaced with wire, at least it saved having to remove cast on rungs

I'm guessing all access doors are also moulded shut, another area that all manufacturers could improve on.

I'd still like to have one, but the price tag means its way down my shopping list.

cheers
Neil

Neil Lyall