BRAILLE SCALE GROUP BUILD 2016.4 - 75+ Week 5 of 15

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

BRAILLE SCALE GROUP BUILD 2016.4 - 75+ Week 5 of 15

October 12th, 2016, 1:54 pm #1

Another good week last week, lots of interesting builds going on. Hopefully this week will be equally as good, I am really looking forward to it. So then, can we have any updates please.

All the best,

Paul
“Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
― Douglas MacArthur

October 12th, 2016, 4:54 pm #2

The good news is that I was able to get in touch with Georgi, and replacements for the missing roadwheels are on their way!

Since progress on the wheels and tracks was stalled, I moved on to the turret. The kit part suffers from soft detail, and is missing several items of stowage. Here's my rundown of turret fixes (ignore the hole in the mantlet area where I got a bit carried away with my Dremel - it won't be visible on the finished model!):

I. Missing tow cable
J. Missing shovel and crow bar
K. The circular item is the cover for the panoramic sight (moulded in the closed position). It should have a vertical shaft on which it extended when open.
L. The giant bolt cutters should be a folded M3 tripod for the 50-cal machine gun.
M. A heart-shaped spade!
N. These nondescript rectangles represent stowed aiming posts (top) and spare 50-cal barrels (bottom). I believe they were stowed in bags. In any case, like the rest of the stowage that is provided, there are no straps.
O. The M109 should have a 5-piece barrel cleaning rod, not 4. Later variants had 7-piece rods.
P. These should be a pair of handles for the mattock and pick axe.
Q. Poorly moulded axe.
R. The pick axe and mattock head should be stored here.
S. The track fixture should be stowed here.

I started by carving off all the moulded on stowage and replacing it with spare parts (axe, sledge hammer, mattock head from a Dragon Sherman; spade from an S Models M151, shovel from an S Model Renault UE), or scratchbuilt versions (mattock and pick axe handle, pick axe head, barrel cleaning rods, crow bar, tow rope, track fixture, tripod). I used lead foil to add all the tie down straps.

I'm not finished with the tripod yet, and I may still replace the stowed aiming stakes and 50-cal barrels to make them look a little more like bagged items. Looking at these photos, I see part of my track fixture has gone astray!

The kit provides the turret lifting eyes as thick photoetched parts. I replaced them with plastic, and added stretched sprue weld beads. I felt the jerry cans provided in the kit were too skinny, so I replaced them with Armand Bayardi items with new handles.

Still to be done are the stowage racks at the rear of the turret. These are provided as PE parts, and look OK if a little 2-dimensional. I may replace them with wire.

The next big task is tackling the gun barrel.

This is provided as 3 resin parts. The muzzle brake is totally wrong - circular in cross section, with a flat face. I feel like the bore evacuator may be too small as well. The recuperator cylinders are missing some details, and the offset sight is missing (though I believe it is provided in the kit, but not indicated for use).

We'll see whether I can keep up the momentum on this build - I'm expecting a shipment from Hobbyterra to arrive imminently, and I may well be distracted by the Ace Centurion Mk 3/5!

Will

October 12th, 2016, 5:43 pm #3

Another good week last week, lots of interesting builds going on. Hopefully this week will be equally as good, I am really looking forward to it. So then, can we have any updates please.

All the best,

Paul

Hello all,
Here is my contribution to the GB, swedish Leopard 2, swedish designation stridsvagn 122 A. This was a great kit, detailed without being complicated, a lot of options for open or closed hatches, two options for gun travel lock etc.
Only two complaints: the tracks come in two styrene lengths per side and you have to soften and bend them using hot water. I found it hard to replicate the tight wrapping with sharp curving and no slack. I had preferred link and length. On a german or russian ww2 tank with some slack this solution seems to work better...
My other complaint is about dark green styrene. Why this colour? I guess most people paint their models anyway? I think it is much easier to see details on a grey or tan coloured model, is it not?

A grey primer to see if everything looks ok, as I can't see properly on the dark green plastic. The whole thing will probably have another coat of black before swedish M90 camo.

Cheers
/Carl

October 12th, 2016, 6:48 pm #4

All the best,

Paul
Just a quick wash, some streaking next and a bit of track weathering

October 12th, 2016, 6:50 pm #5

The good news is that I was able to get in touch with Georgi, and replacements for the missing roadwheels are on their way!

Since progress on the wheels and tracks was stalled, I moved on to the turret. The kit part suffers from soft detail, and is missing several items of stowage. Here's my rundown of turret fixes (ignore the hole in the mantlet area where I got a bit carried away with my Dremel - it won't be visible on the finished model!):

I. Missing tow cable
K. The circular item is the cover for the panoramic sight (moulded in the closed position). It should have a vertical shaft on which it extended when open.
L. The giant bolt cutters should be a folded M3 tripod for the 50-cal machine gun.
M. A heart-shaped spade!
N. These nondescript rectangles represent stowed aiming posts (top) and spare 50-cal barrels (bottom). I believe they were stowed in bags. In any case, like the rest of the stowage that is provided, there are no straps.
O. The M109 should have a 5-piece barrel cleaning rod, not 4. Later variants had 7-piece rods.
Q. Poorly moulded axe.

I started by carving off all the moulded on stowage and replacing it with spare parts (axe, sledge hammer, mattock head from a Dragon Sherman; spade from an S Models M151, shovel from an S Model Renault UE), or scratchbuilt versions (mattock and pick axe handle, pick axe head, barrel cleaning rods, crow bar, tow rope, track fixture, tripod). I used lead foil to add all the tie down straps.

I'm not finished with the tripod yet, and I may still replace the stowed aiming stakes and 50-cal barrels to make them look a little more like bagged items. Looking at these photos, I see part of my track fixture has gone astray!

The kit provides the turret lifting eyes as thick photoetched parts. I replaced them with plastic, and added stretched sprue weld beads. I felt the jerry cans provided in the kit were too skinny, so I replaced them with Armand Bayardi items with new handles.

Still to be done are the stowage racks at the rear of the turret. These are provided as PE parts, and look OK if a little 2-dimensional. I may replace them with wire.

This is provided as 3 resin parts. The muzzle brake is totally wrong - circular in cross section, with a flat face. I feel like the bore evacuator may be too small as well. The recuperator cylinders are missing some details, and the offset sight is missing (though I believe it is provided in the kit, but not indicated for use).

We'll see whether I can keep up the momentum on this build - I'm expecting a shipment from Hobbyterra to arrive imminently, and I may well be distracted by the Ace Centurion Mk 3/5!

Will
that turret detail is a million times better! looks great now

October 12th, 2016, 6:51 pm #6

Hello all,
Here is my contribution to the GB, swedish Leopard 2, swedish designation stridsvagn 122 A. This was a great kit, detailed without being complicated, a lot of options for open or closed hatches, two options for gun travel lock etc.
Only two complaints: the tracks come in two styrene lengths per side and you have to soften and bend them using hot water. I found it hard to replicate the tight wrapping with sharp curving and no slack. I had preferred link and length. On a german or russian ww2 tank with some slack this solution seems to work better...
My other complaint is about dark green styrene. Why this colour? I guess most people paint their models anyway? I think it is much easier to see details on a grey or tan coloured model, is it not?

A grey primer to see if everything looks ok, as I can't see properly on the dark green plastic. The whole thing will probably have another coat of black before swedish M90 camo.

Cheers
/Carl
Will look superb in the Swedish camo

October 12th, 2016, 7:32 pm #7

I. Missing tow cable
M. A heart-shaped spade!
Q. Poorly moulded axe.

Will
Wow, indeed! Great job on the add-ons! Looking forward to your further updates.

October 12th, 2016, 8:07 pm #8

I. Missing tow cable
M. A heart-shaped spade!
Q. Poorly moulded axe.

Will
the third hand of modeling
good job on an unsung mainstay that served for decades

October 12th, 2016, 8:10 pm #9

Hello all,

Cheers
/Carl
looks like a nice kit. maybe they got a good deal on green styrene?!?

October 12th, 2016, 8:12 pm #10

Just a quick wash, some streaking next and a bit of track weathering

what does 24 indicate?