Very nice...

October 13th, 2016, 1:47 pm #21

Just a quick wash, some streaking next and a bit of track weathering

Hi Paul,

Nice model and it looks good in the sand colour scheme. The next stage of wash, streaking and weathering will really bring out some of the detail nicely, I look forward to seeing that.

All the best,

Paul
“Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
― Douglas MacArthur

Taking shape nicely...

October 13th, 2016, 1:51 pm #22

Here's my M2A1 assembled and with a base coat. I still need to sort out one detail, the top right support for the front shield (part 9). For anyone doing this build I would recommend leaving this part to the very last even though the instructions call to fix it in place in the first step. It's also good to dry fit the front shield to the cradle to find the best position for this support.

Now it's time for painting details, black camo and it's ready for weathering.

Last WIP:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/47210/me ... n+progress

Cheers
Piotr
Hi Piotr,

It really does start to look the part with a bit of colour on it. Very nice kit and when I get mine I will bear in mind all the advice that has been given by yourself and Elliott as to the little wrinkles with this kit. I shall be waiting for the next update with it in its camouflage, should be interesting.

All the best,

Paul
“Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
― Douglas MacArthur

Re: OKB Grigorov M109, part 2

October 13th, 2016, 2:10 pm #23

The good news is that I was able to get in touch with Georgi, and replacements for the missing roadwheels are on their way!

Since progress on the wheels and tracks was stalled, I moved on to the turret. The kit part suffers from soft detail, and is missing several items of stowage. Here's my rundown of turret fixes (ignore the hole in the mantlet area where I got a bit carried away with my Dremel - it won't be visible on the finished model!):

I. Missing tow cable
J. Missing shovel and crow bar
K. The circular item is the cover for the panoramic sight (moulded in the closed position). It should have a vertical shaft on which it extended when open.
L. The giant bolt cutters should be a folded M3 tripod for the 50-cal machine gun.
M. A heart-shaped spade!
N. These nondescript rectangles represent stowed aiming posts (top) and spare 50-cal barrels (bottom). I believe they were stowed in bags. In any case, like the rest of the stowage that is provided, there are no straps.
O. The M109 should have a 5-piece barrel cleaning rod, not 4. Later variants had 7-piece rods.
P. These should be a pair of handles for the mattock and pick axe.
Q. Poorly moulded axe.
R. The pick axe and mattock head should be stored here.
S. The track fixture should be stowed here.

I started by carving off all the moulded on stowage and replacing it with spare parts (axe, sledge hammer, mattock head from a Dragon Sherman; spade from an S Models M151, shovel from an S Model Renault UE), or scratchbuilt versions (mattock and pick axe handle, pick axe head, barrel cleaning rods, crow bar, tow rope, track fixture, tripod). I used lead foil to add all the tie down straps.

I'm not finished with the tripod yet, and I may still replace the stowed aiming stakes and 50-cal barrels to make them look a little more like bagged items. Looking at these photos, I see part of my track fixture has gone astray!

The kit provides the turret lifting eyes as thick photoetched parts. I replaced them with plastic, and added stretched sprue weld beads. I felt the jerry cans provided in the kit were too skinny, so I replaced them with Armand Bayardi items with new handles.

Still to be done are the stowage racks at the rear of the turret. These are provided as PE parts, and look OK if a little 2-dimensional. I may replace them with wire.

The next big task is tackling the gun barrel.

This is provided as 3 resin parts. The muzzle brake is totally wrong - circular in cross section, with a flat face. I feel like the bore evacuator may be too small as well. The recuperator cylinders are missing some details, and the offset sight is missing (though I believe it is provided in the kit, but not indicated for use).

We'll see whether I can keep up the momentum on this build - I'm expecting a shipment from Hobbyterra to arrive imminently, and I may well be distracted by the Ace Centurion Mk 3/5!

Will
Hi Will!

You did an amazing work detailing the turret! It's much-much better now, and I will surely follow your work on it.

Re: M2A1 howitzer wip part 2

October 13th, 2016, 2:31 pm #24

Here's my M2A1 assembled and with a base coat. I still need to sort out one detail, the top right support for the front shield (part 9). For anyone doing this build I would recommend leaving this part to the very last even though the instructions call to fix it in place in the first step. It's also good to dry fit the front shield to the cradle to find the best position for this support.

Now it's time for painting details, black camo and it's ready for weathering.

Last WIP:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/47210/me ... n+progress

Cheers
Piotr
Hi Piotr!

Looks nice! The green coat is very smooth. I don't really know much about towed artillery, so please tell me, who used these with black camo? UK, or somebody else after WW2?

M48A3 'Nam Finished!

October 13th, 2016, 3:20 pm #25

Another good week last week, lots of interesting builds going on. Hopefully this week will be equally as good, I am really looking forward to it. So then, can we have any updates please.

All the best,

Paul
The work is done. Now I'm happy, not because the result itself, but the fact that I actually FINISHED something! :-D
Some words about the painting. The base green is AK Interactive's USMC forest green what I found a bit cold in tone. I've applied several layers of artist oils like filters (greens and yellows mainly) to change the tone and fade it down a bit. The rust was made with oils too. The weathering was done after two thin layer of Vallejo satin varnish, with AK Int. Kursk earth and some dark mud.
Any comment, criticizm is welcome as always.

Regarding the camo

October 13th, 2016, 4:56 pm #26

Hi Piotr!

Looks nice! The green coat is very smooth. I don't really know much about towed artillery, so please tell me, who used these with black camo? UK, or somebody else after WW2?
Hi Zoli,
I'm doing a scene from the battle of Saipan. Initially I was planning plain OD but last week Elliott posted this footage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Tdgyci3w3o
That's why I decided to go with OD+black lines.

Cheers
Piotr

Thanks Paul

October 13th, 2016, 4:59 pm #27

Hi Piotr,

It really does start to look the part with a bit of colour on it. Very nice kit and when I get mine I will bear in mind all the advice that has been given by yourself and Elliott as to the little wrinkles with this kit. I shall be waiting for the next update with it in its camouflage, should be interesting.

All the best,

Paul
The colour does make a difference. with all the details coloured it should be quite interesting. Just need to figure out how many stripes were painted on the aiming sticks (maybe Elliott finishes his build soon and I can rip it off from him).

Cheers
Piotr

thanks Dan

October 13th, 2016, 5:56 pm #28

Hi Paul
You've made an unusual wee beastie look a lot more interesting. Good work. Do you have a good reference source?

Dan
There is quite a good sequence of shots of this vehicle (well 23 not 24) having its engine changed. Would have loved to have done that but with a diets body a bridge to far...

Thanks Jan n/t

October 13th, 2016, 5:56 pm #29

hi paul,
nice update! looking forward to the job you do on the tracks.
regards
jw
Thanks Jan n/t

thanks Paul

October 13th, 2016, 5:57 pm #30

Hi Paul,

Nice model and it looks good in the sand colour scheme. The next stage of wash, streaking and weathering will really bring out some of the detail nicely, I look forward to seeing that.

All the best,

Paul
its quite fun to bring a big tracked box to life