BRAILLE SCALE GROUP BUILD 2016.4 - 75+ Week 4 of 15

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

BRAILLE SCALE GROUP BUILD 2016.4 - 75+ Week 4 of 15

October 5th, 2016, 9:47 am #1

An excellent week last week, lots of excellent builds and interesting subjects. It should be interesting to see what this week has to hold, so could we have your updates please.

All the best,

Paul
Last edited by PAUL GILES on October 7th, 2016, 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
― Douglas MacArthur

StuH some paint added

October 5th, 2016, 10:27 am #2

Hi to all.
Basic work and painting done.I added some missing detaila as backlight and lifting hooks
I will add add. storage and then weathering of upper hull.
gun is fixed with Patafix only.
Comments are welcome
Regards from Vienna
Robert

7.2" & 5.5" Howitzers...

October 5th, 2016, 10:35 am #3

An excellent week last week, lots of excellent builds and interesting subjects. It should be interesting to see what this week has to hold, so could we have your updates please.

All the best,

Paul
I managed to finish the 7.2" Howitzer and get it undercoated, I have decided to leave painting the guns until I have them all assembled and then have a marathon painting session. Here is the 7.2" finished...

It was a great build and I enjoyed it immensely, I recommend the model as it is well cast and easy to put together. Here it is primed...

I also began getting the 5.5" Howitzer off its runners and start cleaning up the pieces...

That's it for now, hopefully I will have the 5.5" finished by next week and then I tackle the 4.5" Howitzer. Thanks for looking, all comments welcome.

All the best,

Paul

“Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
― Douglas MacArthur

OKB Grigorov M109

October 5th, 2016, 2:29 pm #4

All the best,

Paul
I have so many stalled projects on my workbench that I really shouldn't start anything else, but I've been itching to start something for this group build, and I finally broke down last night.

My subject is the OKB Grigorov M109 155mm Self-propelled Howitzer. I've had this kit in the stash for a couple years now, and it looks like a pretty straightforward build compared to some of OKB's more recent releases.

I started out with the wheels, and ran into two issues, one minor and one not-so-minor.

The roadwheels are cleanly moulded, and actually depict the undercut wheel rims. A couple of the wheels suffered from pinholes where they were attached to the moulding blocks, but these were easily fixed. The resin was nice and easy to work with - a lot less brittle than what I've encountered in the past. When I tried assembling an inner and outer roadwheel, the gap between the wheels looked excessive. When I put the assembled roadwheel against the track, the rubber sections were overlapping the end connectors, so I decided I needed to reduce the gap between the wheels. This was easy enough to accomplish by removing the raised boss from the outer wheel, and drilling the hole in the outer wheel a little deeper. I had to be careful when drilling - the first time I manged to pop the hub cap right off the wheel! Fortunately I managed to find the hub cap and reattach it.

Here's a comparison of the wheels before and after the fix:

The bigger issue soon became apparent - the M109 had 14 paired roadwheels, and my kit only provided 12 pairs! I went back and checked the photos I took of the kit contents for On The Way back when I bought it, and sure enough there were only 12 pairs of roadwheels present. This seems to be a recurrent theme with me and OKB Grigorov kits! I didn't have much luck when I contacted OKB in the past, so this time I reached out to Free Time Hobbies, where I'd purchased the kit.

Here's the photo I took when I bought the kit back in June 2014:

I'm going to press on in the hopes I can get replacements for the missing parts.

I used the same process on the idlers to reduce the gap. I had to drill out the holes in the back of the idlers to fit the axles. Similarly, I had to drill out the holes in the inner sprockets. I was impressed with the non-brittle resin when removing the sprockets from their moulding blocks - it was easy to clean up the parts, with no lost teeth! I suspect the width of the sprockets may need to be reduced to match the track. Unfortunately the kit does not provide any tool to help align the inner and outer sprocket halves.

The kit provides separate roadwheel arms, which are a nice detail, but may be a little flimsy to bear the weight of the model. The arms have triangular pins to fit in keyed holes in the hull and ensure the correct alignment. Unfortunately the holes in the hull are too small to accept the pins! I figure I'll drill out the holes in the hull, and use a jig to ensure the correct alignment. I also used a Dremel tool to hollow out most of the turret to reduce the weight.

Still lots to do...correcting the muzzle brake, replacing the simplified and incorrect stowage on the turret, adding detail to the hull, etc., etc.

Will

contacting OKB

October 5th, 2016, 5:22 pm #5

Hi Will
Did you try to contact OKB via Facebook or Business mail? At Facebook I got nor repla also but after using his Business mail I got answer and replacement quick.
Regards from Vienna
Robert

Very nice

October 5th, 2016, 5:51 pm #6

I managed to finish the 7.2" Howitzer and get it undercoated, I have decided to leave painting the guns until I have them all assembled and then have a marathon painting session. Here is the 7.2" finished...

It was a great build and I enjoyed it immensely, I recommend the model as it is well cast and easy to put together. Here it is primed...

I also began getting the 5.5" Howitzer off its runners and start cleaning up the pieces...

That's it for now, hopefully I will have the 5.5" finished by next week and then I tackle the 4.5" Howitzer. Thanks for looking, all comments welcome.

All the best,

Paul
They are looking like 1/35 plastic kits. (That should be a compliment )
Very well done.

Re: StuH some paint added

October 5th, 2016, 7:29 pm #7

Hi to all.
Basic work and painting done.I added some missing detaila as backlight and lifting hooks
Comments are welcome
Regards from Vienna
Robert

Hello Robert
That's gone really nicely - the extended track really makes a difference. The 10.5 gun looks particularly stubby by comparison to the 75mm armed version on my desk - I admire the name applied by hand. Does the waffle pattern come as standard or have you applied it yourself?

All the best

Dan
Dan Taylor Modelworks

"My life is like my room - I'm sure it was tidy two days ago" Alphonse Tram in the film 'Buffet Froid' 1979

Re: 7.2" & 5.5" Howitzers...

October 5th, 2016, 7:32 pm #8

All the best,

Paul
Hi Paul
They both look very crisp indeed. I must have missed the kit they are based on, what is the source? I'm most impressed by the 7.2 - you've made all the parts sit very neatly (I always find a handwheel has set slightly skewed).

Thanks for posting

Dan
Dan Taylor Modelworks

"My life is like my room - I'm sure it was tidy two days ago" Alphonse Tram in the film 'Buffet Froid' 1979

Re: OKB Grigorov M109

October 5th, 2016, 7:43 pm #9

I have so many stalled projects on my workbench that I really shouldn't start anything else, but I've been itching to start something for this group build, and I finally broke down last night.

My subject is the OKB Grigorov M109 155mm Self-propelled Howitzer. I've had this kit in the stash for a couple years now, and it looks like a pretty straightforward build compared to some of OKB's more recent releases.

I started out with the wheels, and ran into two issues, one minor and one not-so-minor.

The roadwheels are cleanly moulded, and actually depict the undercut wheel rims. A couple of the wheels suffered from pinholes where they were attached to the moulding blocks, but these were easily fixed. The resin was nice and easy to work with - a lot less brittle than what I've encountered in the past. When I tried assembling an inner and outer roadwheel, the gap between the wheels looked excessive. When I put the assembled roadwheel against the track, the rubber sections were overlapping the end connectors, so I decided I needed to reduce the gap between the wheels. This was easy enough to accomplish by removing the raised boss from the outer wheel, and drilling the hole in the outer wheel a little deeper. I had to be careful when drilling - the first time I manged to pop the hub cap right off the wheel! Fortunately I managed to find the hub cap and reattach it.

Here's a comparison of the wheels before and after the fix:

The bigger issue soon became apparent - the M109 had 14 paired roadwheels, and my kit only provided 12 pairs! I went back and checked the photos I took of the kit contents for On The Way back when I bought it, and sure enough there were only 12 pairs of roadwheels present. This seems to be a recurrent theme with me and OKB Grigorov kits! I didn't have much luck when I contacted OKB in the past, so this time I reached out to Free Time Hobbies, where I'd purchased the kit.

Here's the photo I took when I bought the kit back in June 2014:

I'm going to press on in the hopes I can get replacements for the missing parts.

I used the same process on the idlers to reduce the gap. I had to drill out the holes in the back of the idlers to fit the axles. Similarly, I had to drill out the holes in the inner sprockets. I was impressed with the non-brittle resin when removing the sprockets from their moulding blocks - it was easy to clean up the parts, with no lost teeth! I suspect the width of the sprockets may need to be reduced to match the track. Unfortunately the kit does not provide any tool to help align the inner and outer sprocket halves.

The kit provides separate roadwheel arms, which are a nice detail, but may be a little flimsy to bear the weight of the model. The arms have triangular pins to fit in keyed holes in the hull and ensure the correct alignment. Unfortunately the holes in the hull are too small to accept the pins! I figure I'll drill out the holes in the hull, and use a jig to ensure the correct alignment. I also used a Dremel tool to hollow out most of the turret to reduce the weight.

Still lots to do...correcting the muzzle brake, replacing the simplified and incorrect stowage on the turret, adding detail to the hull, etc., etc.

Will
Hi Will
The OKB kits do present the odd problem, but, if anything, that makes them more satisfying to finish. My son and I worked on the Conqueror together and, as you are finding, some of the parts needed some puzzling through to make best use of them. Once finished, though, it makes for a cracking display model. Keep up the good work - always helpful to have someone crack on with these kits to help the rest of us deal with the issues at our leisure.

All the best

Dan
Dan Taylor Modelworks

Great job...

October 5th, 2016, 8:21 pm #10

Hi to all.
Comments are welcome
Regards from Vienna
Robert

Hi Robert,

That looks very good, the Modeltrans hull really looks good with the Zimmerit pattern. I have a Stug with Ostketten to finish and seeing yours has reminded me to get it out and get it done, perhaps after this Group Build. I like the rack at the rear with all the crews paraphernalia on it, looks very convincing.

All the best,

Paul
― Douglas MacArthur