Braille Scale Group Build - 2012 'Medical Services' - Week 22

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

Braille Scale Group Build - 2012 'Medical Services' - Week 22

July 25th, 2012, 8:40 am #1

Hi Folks,

Last week of this little venture, I will be down to the wire as my modelling time is being severely curtailed by household chores. I look forward to seeing what you have all been doing and I am getting the photos I have been sent ready for the final gallery. If you haven't sent any photos in yet could you please send three of your favourite shots of your build and a brief description of the vehicle to my Email address. I need them in .jpg format and I will do any resizing then post them to my Photobucket account.

It has been a fun Group Build, with some pretty stunning vehicles, I hope you all enjoyed taking part and would be up for another one in 2013.

I look forward to seeing what you have all been up to, so lets have a few more posts this week.

All the best,

Paul
“Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
― Douglas MacArthur

July 25th, 2012, 8:56 am #2

Hello Paul

22 weeks ? how did that time fly by so quickly ?

It has been enjoyable taking part, and as a result I have a couple of unique builds that were not even on my radar, till I joined in the build.

Kudos for having kicked the thing off, & then keeping it on track these past 5 months, I'm looking forward to seeing the gallery of entries.

And look forwarding to joining in the next Group Build.

kind regards
Neil

Last edited by neilyall on July 25th, 2012, 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neil Lyall

July 25th, 2012, 7:16 pm #3

Hi Folks,

Last week of this little venture, I will be down to the wire as my modelling time is being severely curtailed by household chores. I look forward to seeing what you have all been doing and I am getting the photos I have been sent ready for the final gallery. If you haven't sent any photos in yet could you please send three of your favourite shots of your build and a brief description of the vehicle to my Email address. I need them in .jpg format and I will do any resizing then post them to my Photobucket account.

It has been a fun Group Build, with some pretty stunning vehicles, I hope you all enjoyed taking part and would be up for another one in 2013.

I look forward to seeing what you have all been up to, so lets have a few more posts this week.

All the best,

Paul
Well I finally worked out a way of making the tarp with some tin foil from a coffee tin top,
it was a little thick so had to make the details curves over frames etc before dropping the foil onto the model, as the frame was not strong enough, anyone know where to get lead foil?
hopefully I can get paint on it this week.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

I found a bag of Milicast Drivers so will add 2 sitting on the front as per my ref photo.

Cheers Elliott

July 25th, 2012, 7:41 pm #4

looking good so far
I got my lead from as fish and bait shop and some aluminum foil from take out shop

Greetings Mondria
-------------------------------------------
some of my work
http://midnightgreys.blogspot.com/
Greetings Patrick Mondria
for some of my work
http://midnightgreys.blogspot.nl/

July 25th, 2012, 8:10 pm #5

Well I finally worked out a way of making the tarp with some tin foil from a coffee tin top,
it was a little thick so had to make the details curves over frames etc before dropping the foil onto the model, as the frame was not strong enough, anyone know where to get lead foil?

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

I found a bag of Milicast Drivers so will add 2 sitting on the front as per my ref photo.

Cheers Elliott
Hi Elliott,

1) Befriend a wine connoisseur, then scrounge the lead foil off the bottle tops of his prize vintages. It has to be good wine as they still use lead the cheaper stuff is a plastic composite.

2) Befriend a dentist, if they still take the old fashioned X-rays then the film comes with a thin layer of pure lead, very pliable and very strong. I have good stash from my dentist neighbour, but he has gone digital so I better look after it.

3) Look in some of the suppliers sundries sections, they sometimes stock odd things, I had lead wire 0.1mm and 0.3mm thick from one of these.

The vehicles look really good and I look forward to seeing the paint on them.

All the best,

Paul
“Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
― Douglas MacArthur

July 25th, 2012, 9:59 pm #6

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Cheers Elliott
Hi
That looks a very effective solution to the canvs problem - something nice and solid to work with. What have you used for the frames? I'd echo the previous post recommending the foil from wine bottles, a pleasant way to collect. I assume the base kit is the IBG? I haven't seen one of those from above yet so that's really useful.

Thanks
Dan
Dan Taylor Modelworks

"My life is like my room - I'm sure it was tidy two days ago" Alphonse Tram in the film 'Buffet Froid' 1979

July 25th, 2012, 10:55 pm #7

I'll have to step up my drinking game

here is my naked Bren frame

[/IMG]

& the inspiration ...

[/IMG]

Cheers Elliott

July 26th, 2012, 8:27 am #8

Hi
Unfortunately, despite an awful lot of research, most of the foil on champagne has a nasty weave to it. Not all, I'll grant you, and the research continues...

Regards
Dan

(hic)
Dan Taylor Modelworks

"My life is like my room - I'm sure it was tidy two days ago" Alphonse Tram in the film 'Buffet Froid' 1979