Braille Scale Group Build - 2012 'Medical Services' - Week 19

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

Braille Scale Group Build - 2012 'Medical Services' - Week 19

July 2nd, 2012, 9:22 pm #1

Hi Everyone,

I am looking forward to seeing what we have in store this week, nearly the end of the build, only three more weeks to go. I am trying to think of a way to collect the pictures of the finished builds, I have the idea of you all posting pictures of the completed models, with a brief description, to me by Email. I will then upload them to my Photobucket account and post them all in a gallery here. Well that's my idea, if you have a better, or easier, one please let me know.

All the best,

Paul
“Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
― Douglas MacArthur

July 2nd, 2012, 9:35 pm #2

Hi Folks,

I have done a bit more on the Phanomen and feel that I am on the final lap now, not much more to complete it. I must allow at least a week to paint it though. I have finished the little Polski Fiat, just got to paint that now, it is a lovely little model and I have enjoyed making it.

The buckles for the Phanomen were made from fine lead wire (0.3mm) wrapped around a square former, I tried Ilian's suggestion to me of using a staple, but it didn't have the effect I wanted - thanks for the tip and I will use it on other things, Ilian - I am happy enough with the result, but next time I hope it will be better. If you don't learn from your experience you never progress, well that's what I reckon anyway. Here are the photos....

The tools for the Fiat were added and retaining straps and fittings were made out of lead foil. I drilled out the headlights and will paint inside silver and then fill with epoxy glue to form the lenses. I added a number plate made from plasticard as the kit one was way overscale, thickness wise.

Well that's it for now, hopefully I can get the Phanomen finished this week and ready for painting, I will start painting the Fiat this week.

All the best,

Paul
“Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
― Douglas MacArthur

July 2nd, 2012, 10:42 pm #3

I like those buckles, I might have a go myself!

July 2nd, 2012, 10:52 pm #4

Hi Folks,

I have done a bit more on the Phanomen and feel that I am on the final lap now, not much more to complete it. I must allow at least a week to paint it though. I have finished the little Polski Fiat, just got to paint that now, it is a lovely little model and I have enjoyed making it.

The buckles for the Phanomen were made from fine lead wire (0.3mm) wrapped around a square former, I tried Ilian's suggestion to me of using a staple, but it didn't have the effect I wanted - thanks for the tip and I will use it on other things, Ilian - I am happy enough with the result, but next time I hope it will be better. If you don't learn from your experience you never progress, well that's what I reckon anyway. Here are the photos....

The tools for the Fiat were added and retaining straps and fittings were made out of lead foil. I drilled out the headlights and will paint inside silver and then fill with epoxy glue to form the lenses. I added a number plate made from plasticard as the kit one was way overscale, thickness wise.

Well that's it for now, hopefully I can get the Phanomen finished this week and ready for painting, I will start painting the Fiat this week.

All the best,

Paul
Hello Paul

you did fine work on the buckles, hard to imagine that they are about 0.3 of a millimetre square !

The Phanomen & Fiat must be close to the paint shop now.

I have no update from last week. Just need to fix the shaping on the canvas of the Horch & paint it and add a couple of details to the trailer, so will easily be able to have these finished before cut off.

cheers
Neil
Neil Lyall

July 3rd, 2012, 9:00 am #5

Hi Everyone,

I am looking forward to seeing what we have in store this week, nearly the end of the build, only three more weeks to go. I am trying to think of a way to collect the pictures of the finished builds, I have the idea of you all posting pictures of the completed models, with a brief description, to me by Email. I will then upload them to my Photobucket account and post them all in a gallery here. Well that's my idea, if you have a better, or easier, one please let me know.

All the best,

Paul
Hello everybody,

due to my work and some additional problems I'm sad to say that I definitely will not be able to finish my Hummer. I didn't even make any progress. The model will certainly be finished some time, I will show it in the Braille Scale forum for sure.

Paul, your idea sounds good to me - will the pictures be limited to certain numbers, certain resolution or measures? Please let us know.

Best regards
Marc
"Let the wind carry you home
Blackbird fly away
May you never be broken again"
(Alter Bridge - Song "Blackbird" - Album "Blackbird" 2007)

July 3rd, 2012, 9:42 am #6

Hi Folks,

All the best,

Paul
Wow Paul, great work on the buckles. And I thought I cuold get away by just paintstripes on my Steyr 640...
I'll see if I can Mail you my pics in time for the holiday...

Alfred

July 3rd, 2012, 9:44 am #7

Hello everybody,

due to my work and some additional problems I'm sad to say that I definitely will not be able to finish my Hummer. I didn't even make any progress. The model will certainly be finished some time, I will show it in the Braille Scale forum for sure.

Paul, your idea sounds good to me - will the pictures be limited to certain numbers, certain resolution or measures? Please let us know.

Best regards
Marc
Don't worry Marc, you will pick it up later then...I realy hope you can finish it because I haven't seen a Hummer Ambulance made in braille yet!

Regards, Alfred

July 3rd, 2012, 9:57 am #8

Hi Everyone,

All the best,

Paul
Hello

re the above suggestions of putting the pictures together in a gallery - you could create a specific blog to do just that, dedicated to this group build, its also then permanently in "cyberspace"

I know it sounds like I'm "blog crazy" at present but it really is a simple, fast, free and effective way to showcase the builds.

The blog formats have come a long way since I created one in 2009 - I have been looking at the new functionalities, and have updated mine this afternoon to a more dynamic style, with additional functionality, and am adding a lot of new features.

A blog dedicated to the Medical Services Group Build will allow progress photos & comments, and you can add a translation gadget for other languages, search box, welcome message, poll, link list, etc

This is just a suggestion, if you don't want to do a blog thats cool with me, just floating the idea

If you decided to give it a go, I don't think you'd have any problems.

Also no limit that I know of with size of pictures and number of pictures, text etc

And I'd be happy to be of any assistance if you like the idea.

cheers
Neil

http://braillebuilder.blogspot.com.au/

Last edited by neilyall on July 3rd, 2012, 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neil Lyall

July 3rd, 2012, 10:01 am #9

Hi Everyone,

All the best,

Paul
Paul, I sent you a mail with my ambulance build pics. Can you please confirm if they have arrived in full ?

Alfred van Netburg

July 3rd, 2012, 10:35 am #10

Don't worry Marc, you will pick it up later then...I realy hope you can finish it because I haven't seen a Hummer Ambulance made in braille yet!

Regards, Alfred
Dear Alfred,

yes, I will finish it for sure - promised!

All the best
Marc
"Let the wind carry you home
Blackbird fly away
May you never be broken again"
(Alter Bridge - Song "Blackbird" - Album "Blackbird" 2007)