Braille Scale Group Build - 2012 'Medical Services' - Week 18

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

Braille Scale Group Build - 2012 'Medical Services' - Week 18

June 27th, 2012, 11:45 am #1

Hello Fellow Group Builders,

Sorry for the late arrival of the weekly update for the build, domestic hindrances and no real spare time caused me to forget to post it. I hope we have a few more posts this week, things are getting a little thin on the ground. I don't know if it was the extension that took the wind out of our sails or perhaps now we are in the summer months people have other things to occupy them. Whatever the reason, I hope as we move inexorably towards the final weeks we can get a few more builds finished and then have a really interesting gallery for the rest of the chaps on the forum.

So let's see what you have (or haven't) been up to this week.....

All the best,

Paul
“Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
― Douglas MacArthur

June 27th, 2012, 12:51 pm #2

Hi there,

I have been able to get a little more done on the Phanomen ambulance, not as much as I would have liked, but we are moving towards a conclusion now. I have put all the hinges on and the door handles, modified the lights on the mudguards, and added lead foil to make the 'tie-down' straps for the canvas cover on the roof rack. I hope to make some little buckles for these straps and get all the remaining detail done this week, then hopefully paint the thing. Here are the photos of the vehicle at the moment....

Well that's it for now, hopefully next week I may have even primed it ready for painting.

All the best,

Paul
“Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
― Douglas MacArthur

June 27th, 2012, 1:18 pm #3

Sorry for the late arrival of the weekly update for the build, domestic hindrances and no real spare time caused me to forget to post it. I hope we have a few more posts this week, things are getting a little thin on the ground. I don't know if it was the extension that took the wind out of our sails or perhaps now we are in the summer months people have other things to occupy them. Whatever the reason, I hope as we move inexorably towards the final weeks we can get a few more builds finished and then have a really interesting gallery for the rest of the chaps on the forum.

All the best,

Paul
Hello

I figured you must have been busy Paul.

I have progressed the Ambulance trailer to completed. I notice in one of the macro pictures a rough edge on the roof which will be easy to fix with a careful scrape with an exacto blade. I could perhaps add water jerry cans in holders and a spare wheel, these are not seen in the one and only picture of this ambulance but would not be out of place.

I have also made a cover for the roof of the Horch. Its still a work in progress and has not been affixed. Many of these Horch ambulances are pictured with roof racks, some with covers over the racks as well. cheers
Neil

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Last edited by neilyall on June 27th, 2012, 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neil Lyall

June 27th, 2012, 1:22 pm #4

Hi there,

I have been able to get a little more done on the Phanomen ambulance, not as much as I would have liked, but we are moving towards a conclusion now. I have put all the hinges on and the door handles, modified the lights on the mudguards, and added lead foil to make the 'tie-down' straps for the canvas cover on the roof rack. I hope to make some little buckles for these straps and get all the remaining detail done this week, then hopefully paint the thing. Here are the photos of the vehicle at the moment....

Well that's it for now, hopefully next week I may have even primed it ready for painting.

All the best,

Paul
Hello Paul

Your canvas cover is true to a couple of period photos I have seen where the canvas cover is evidently very loose. You could have a figure in the process of affixing (or removing)the cover, though I'm guessing the straps are undone awaiting buckles (which sounds really difficult, but should look great).

I don't know how you found the build, but I very much enjoyed constructing one of these a couple of years ago, it was quite straight forward and uncomplicated, and is a great looking vehicle of its era.

cheers
Neil
Last edited by neilyall on June 27th, 2012, 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neil Lyall

June 27th, 2012, 3:57 pm #5

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the comment, the straps are awaiting buckles. I am trying to source some fine square brass rod to wrap some fine wire around and split to form the buckles. A lot easier to do than describe. I may have a chappie on the running board of the rear mudguard trying to fasten down the lose corner there, really good idea. I also have to thank you for reminding me of the merits of stretched sprue, doing the hinges was a doddle with the stuff. Just
some details and it is ready to face the Western Desert, I really want to put an Afrika Korps palm on this vehicle . I have to agree that these little kits are fun to build and although a bit on the basic side, they respond to some TLC really well.

All the best,

Paul
― Douglas MacArthur

June 27th, 2012, 4:02 pm #6

Hello

I figured you must have been busy Paul.

I have progressed the Ambulance trailer to completed. I notice in one of the macro pictures a rough edge on the roof which will be easy to fix with a careful scrape with an exacto blade. I could perhaps add water jerry cans in holders and a spare wheel, these are not seen in the one and only picture of this ambulance but would not be out of place.

I have also made a cover for the roof of the Horch. Its still a work in progress and has not been affixed. Many of these Horch ambulances are pictured with roof racks, some with covers over the racks as well. cheers
Neil

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Hi Neil,

That has made a really interesting duo, well done. I reckon that the additions you mention wouldn't be out of place either, if the trailer is for wounded they would need access to drinking water without any doubt. I like the roof rack cover, how did you do yours? It looks most convincing and should be very good when painted. Nearly at the end and I also noticed the little Unic ambulance lurking in the side of the shot, two very nice builds.

All the best,

Paul
― Douglas MacArthur

June 27th, 2012, 10:46 pm #7

Hello Paul

thanks for the kind words.

the rood rack cover was very simple

looking through my spares box I found an old Airfix Opel Blitz tarp that already had 1/3 of its length removed. I cut a couple of millimetres off the sides, then used kitchen aluminium foil, taking care not to badly crease it in the middle, and cut and shaped it to fit, gluing it on the underside.

I also figure a ready supply of clean water is essential to clean medic's hands and clean wounds when changing dressings, etc, so may make a simple rack or two for jerry cans & attach them.

cheers
Neil
Neil Lyall

June 28th, 2012, 1:19 am #8

All the best,

Paul
Hi all

just for interest I found a picture of my old Granit ambulance

based on a photo of one painted in a very bizarre hand painted scheme (which I don't recommend that any one try)

cheers
Neil

[/IMG]
Last edited by neilyall on June 28th, 2012, 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neil Lyall

June 28th, 2012, 3:25 pm #9

All the best,

Paul
[/IMG]

Based on the Trump LAV with my own upper hull castings - few fittings yet to go

June 28th, 2012, 5:36 pm #10

Hi all

just for interest I found a picture of my old Granit ambulance

based on a photo of one painted in a very bizarre hand painted scheme (which I don't recommend that any one try)

cheers
Neil

[/IMG]
Hi Neil,

That is an interesting camouflage scheme, nice finish and vehicle. I hope that mine turns out as nice as yours, they are a interesting vehicle and probably more common than some of the stuff being produced by mainstream manufacturers, we have to be grateful for the Attack one.

All the best,

Paul
― Douglas MacArthur