Braille Scale Group Build - 2012 'Medical Services' - Week 10

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

Braille Scale Group Build - 2012 'Medical Services' - Week 10

April 30th, 2012, 4:10 pm #1

Hi Folks,

It's that time of week again and hopefully we should have a really good bunch of builds going on now. I am amazed that quite a lot of you are on your second build and really motoring. I think we need to have a final thread, at the end of the 16th week, where we all post our completed - or even part completed - builds in a gallery for all the other folks to appreciate. I will sort out how we can do that over the next few weeks. Anyway here's looking forward to another good week of build logs and lots of neat models.

All the best,

Paul
“Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
― Douglas MacArthur

May 1st, 2012, 3:43 am #2

This is the progress on the G8T this week:

I´ve been painting the figures, the cargo and the reg numbers and adding the decals. The crosses on the doors are a bit too big but they were the closest match i could find so they´ll just have to do. Now it´s time for some heavy weathering. The subject vehicle is rather dirty according to my ref pic.
All comments are welcome.
/Peter

May 1st, 2012, 9:30 am #3

Hi Folks,

It's that time of week again and hopefully we should have a really good bunch of builds going on now. I am amazed that quite a lot of you are on your second build and really motoring. I think we need to have a final thread, at the end of the 16th week, where we all post our completed - or even part completed - builds in a gallery for all the other folks to appreciate. I will sort out how we can do that over the next few weeks. Anyway here's looking forward to another good week of build logs and lots of neat models.

All the best,

Paul
Hello

I removed and rebuilt the front window since the last update, it now looks more correct compared to photos.

Also have spent a lot of time shaping the edge around the roof, and shaping the line where it meets the body.

Though the work appears maybe 95% done it will still take a few weeks to finish. Saturday I should be able to respray the white roof, when satisfied its good enough I can then fit windscreen & wipers, then fit the upper cabin to the body.

Then comes the job of fixing the rear doors, and ensuring all joins between upper & lower body are as good as I can make them.

I also have to add a 'red cross' lamp to the front of the roof.

And need to consider whether to add a roof rack and rear access ladder to the roof. Most of these Horch ambulances don't seem to have a roof rack and ladder.

Then weathering, decals, etc, as well as some improvements to the kit parts suggested by Ilian.

All up still more than a few hours work left till its done

cheers
Neil

[/IMG]

Neil Lyall

May 1st, 2012, 9:45 am #4

Hi Neil!
It seems the roof rack isn't common sight on those few Horch 108 ambulances pics. It makes me think those racks were field modifications. Also, I'm in doubt there was an access ladder on the rear, apaprently it will have an argument with the rear door if not attched to it. After all, this isn't a bus and I guess simply the rear fender was used as a step to access the roof rack, like it was on Phaenomen Granit 25H, for example.
Also, have you considered the roof rack (I guess you want it loaded with useful junk) will obscure almost entirely the big roof Red cross, making this important marking useless?
At last but not least. Without roof rack your model will be finished sooner and I'm eager to see it in its full glory!
Cheers!

May 1st, 2012, 9:46 am #5

I´ve been painting the figures, the cargo and the reg numbers and adding the decals. The crosses on the doors are a bit too big but they were the closest match i could find so they´ll just have to do. Now it´s time for some heavy weathering. The subject vehicle is rather dirty according to my ref pic.
/Peter
Amazing build, Peter!
For more see your inbox.
Cheers!

May 1st, 2012, 10:09 am #6

/Peter
Hi Peter

the truck and its occupants look great. I take it the red piping on the shoulder tabs are medical corps ?

not sure if its my monitor colours, but this truck must have been up on the north of the eastern front in cold weather months by the look of the red cheeks & pale complexions on their faces, no suntans on these lads like you might expect in the summer in Crimea indeed they look like a band of rear echelon rogues with your clever painting techniques

cheers
Neil
Neil Lyall

May 1st, 2012, 10:19 am #7

Hello

I removed and rebuilt the front window since the last update, it now looks more correct compared to photos.

Also have spent a lot of time shaping the edge around the roof, and shaping the line where it meets the body.

Though the work appears maybe 95% done it will still take a few weeks to finish. Saturday I should be able to respray the white roof, when satisfied its good enough I can then fit windscreen & wipers, then fit the upper cabin to the body.

Then comes the job of fixing the rear doors, and ensuring all joins between upper & lower body are as good as I can make them.

I also have to add a 'red cross' lamp to the front of the roof.

And need to consider whether to add a roof rack and rear access ladder to the roof. Most of these Horch ambulances don't seem to have a roof rack and ladder.

Then weathering, decals, etc, as well as some improvements to the kit parts suggested by Ilian.

All up still more than a few hours work left till its done

cheers
Neil

[/IMG]
Well Neil, that certainly looks like a lot more work than you bargained for when you begun !
You are holding up good. Will it get a red cross on the roof ?

Regards, Alfred

May 1st, 2012, 10:22 am #8

/Peter
Another winner from you Peter ! It would do great in a little diorama with some other small soviet softkin vehicle(s) like a GAZ jeep or so...

Are you going for a third medical build ?

Regards, Alfred

May 1st, 2012, 12:09 pm #9

I´ll maybe put the Ford on a small base when finished. I´m not embarking on another medical build, because i´ve already started on something else... I´ll post here as soon as i have something to show.
/Peter

May 1st, 2012, 12:15 pm #10

Hi Peter

the truck and its occupants look great. I take it the red piping on the shoulder tabs are medical corps ?

not sure if its my monitor colours, but this truck must have been up on the north of the eastern front in cold weather months by the look of the red cheeks & pale complexions on their faces, no suntans on these lads like you might expect in the summer in Crimea indeed they look like a band of rear echelon rogues with your clever painting techniques

cheers
Neil
Well, i wanted to give these guys a relaxed and maybe not entirely sober appearance. I´ve made some bottles from stretched sprue that i´m going to distribute among them. The red colour in the photos came out very strong. It´s not that prominent in the flesh, so to speak. I may still tone it down a bit too.
/Peter