Braille Scale Group Build - 2012 'Medical Services' - Week 4

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

Braille Scale Group Build - 2012 'Medical Services' - Week 4

March 19th, 2012, 12:50 pm #1

Hi Folks,

Yet another week gone and we are steadily gathering recruits as we roll along. Here is your chance to share with fellow travelers what you have been up to the past week.

I hope we can attract a few more people to the Group Build, especially those who do modern armour, as we are lacking in examples of more recent vehicles.

Anyway I look forward to seeing what has been achieved this past week.

All the best,

Paul
“Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
― Douglas MacArthur

March 19th, 2012, 1:02 pm #2

Well I have my kit but haven't made a start yet, it should be a quick build though as the kit is quite basic
[/IMG]

Cheers Ian

March 19th, 2012, 1:12 pm #3

Hi Folks,

Yet another week gone and we are steadily gathering recruits as we roll along. Here is your chance to share with fellow travelers what you have been up to the past week.

I hope we can attract a few more people to the Group Build, especially those who do modern armour, as we are lacking in examples of more recent vehicles.

All the best,

Paul
Hi Folks,

I have actually managed to get cracking with the Phanomen ambulance and made steady progress. I have decided not to detail the interior after taking Ilian's advice, there is still a lot of detail to add on the outside though and my example had the worst representation of engine louvres you have ever seen. I scratch built them in the end and although they look ok, they are not 100% accurate, however I am not about to change them as I want to preserve my sanity.

Here are some photos of how I have got on:

I replaced the pedals which were just blobs moulded on the floor...

I made an exhaust from brass tube, it is positioned slightly wrong here and I corrected it later...

view of the side of the vehicle...

The bonnet side and the louvres that you get with the kit....

Fabricating the new louvres...

The new bonnet (hood) sides in place...

Well that is it for now, I will be modifying the attachment points for the wheels and detailing the body this week. Also cutting new windows for the vehicle. Lots to do and so little time to do it.

All the best,

Paul

“Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
― Douglas MacArthur

March 19th, 2012, 1:14 pm #4

Well I have my kit but haven't made a start yet, it should be a quick build though as the kit is quite basic
[/IMG]

Cheers Ian
Hi Ian,

Just as I had hoped, a more modern vehicle. It looks an interesting little kit and I will look forward to seeing it built up.

All the best,

Paul
― Douglas MacArthur

March 19th, 2012, 8:32 pm #5

Hi Folks,

All the best,

Paul
Bonjour,

Last week I only cleaned up some parts of the ambulance. I also received from Ian http://eshop.friendshipmodels.org.uk/, he is open to suggestions for detail sets BTW) the K2 detail sets I ordered the previous week. He read here that I was going to work on the K2 so in my order he added white metal parts from his K30 truck kit free of charge thinking I might have use for them! Thank you very much Ian! I appreciate it!

[/IMG]

The original detail set includes only 4 wheels, the suspension springs, the axles and drive shaft. He sent me as extras all the other pieces you can see in the picture. I'm particularly happy with the bridge classification disk, the exhaust, the 2 little U-hooks, the mirrors and the gas tanks.

I also learned last week from Mike Startmer (thanks Mike!) that the 6th South African Armoured Division probably did not use the K2 so I will make a Kiwi one after a few people here answered my questions about its use by Commonwealth forces (thank you Tim Neate, Ilian Filipov, Elliot Winthrop, Henri-Pierre Mas and Alan McNeilly for the help!). I sent an order to Peter http://aleranminis.com/) for some NZ decals and the white 99 on a black square.

Last night I worked on the front piece of the vehicle:

[/IMG]

For some reason, unlike with the RAF recovery vehicles, Airfix did not detail the front grills. My wife gave me a little bag made of some gauzy material. I started removing the smooth plastic (I still have to do the middle) and will glue the gauze on the back of the part.

Thank you for looking. Sorry for the blurry pictures, I'll get better at it, I hope.

Regards from Canada.
Francois Gousse
WWI Forum moderator

March 19th, 2012, 9:30 pm #6

Hi Folks,

All the best,

Paul
Hello

regarding the Unic

I was able to remove the dark washes with 'oven cleaner' sprayed on and the scrubbed off a few seconds later under running water with an old toothbrush. Possibly also a coat of matt clear acrylic before the washes were applies helped slow the caustic action of the oven cleaner, as no damage was done to the underlying paint, just the side 'red cross' decals lost a small amount of red, which actually improved the 'too perfect' appearance of these crosses.

I was prepared to take off all the paint back to bare plastic, but once the washes were gone I decided I had a good basis for improvement. Another factor is that spare time is an issue, & getting the paint job done again would probably takes weeks. The clincher was that I had no spare red cross decals for replacements, (of the right size) so decided to fix the paint job I had.

I lightly resprayed the camo in acrylics, and gave one very diluted wash of Citadel 'Abadab Black', but washed most of it off under running water. Still need to work on the front wheel's final appearance, they alone lost some paint from the oven cleaner and have been retouched and repainted. I should add I cut the tracked assembly off before applying the oven cleaner and stuffed the interior with tissue, prior to using oven cleaner to limit paint removal where I didnt want it.

I'm still not totally thrilled with the final paintjob on the Unic, but its acceptable to me, which is all that really matters in the final analysis, and it looks a lot better with the Mark 1 eyeball than in these enlarged digital pictures.

The figures are mainly Preiser parts with a couple of old Esci Panzer crew arms & some Preiser hands, as I didnt have enough Preiser arms in the right shape, and some Esci panzer crew arms in the spares box were a convenient shape.

The figure standing on one side is in almost exactly the same stance as in the photo. The medic on the hood is different, I didn't like the look of both legs hanging down (he changed position after the photo was taken). Its my guess both ride this way to quickly dismount to run to the aid of the wounded, or to make room inside when the halftrack is already carrying a few wounded, as not much room in these, they are about the same as a Sd Kfz 250.

Neither medic is finished, other than the missing melons, they need red cross armbands. In the photo the standing medic seems to have an armband on each arm. I will put spare helmets, water bottles and first aid kits in the back of the halftrack. Not sure how far to go with more figures, I may knock some more together from Preiser parts, depends how much precious time I get in coming weeks.

[/IMG]

cheers
Neil
Last edited by neilyall on March 19th, 2012, 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neil Lyall

March 19th, 2012, 10:00 pm #7

Hi Folks,

All the best,

Paul
Hello! You want more modern vehicles? Okay then, this will be my contribution to the Group Build...

[/IMG]

With this kit you can build the ambulance version too. Already started - this is the effort of one evening.

[/IMG]

Best regards to all!
Marc
"Let the wind carry you home
Blackbird fly away
May you never be broken again"
(Alter Bridge - Song "Blackbird" - Album "Blackbird" 2007)

March 20th, 2012, 4:54 am #8

Hi Folks,

All the best,

Paul
I haven´t been working on the Opel Blitz, but instead decided to start working on the PST Ford truck. This is how far i got last weekend. I wanted to use the Academy cargo bed representing a wooden one instead of the steel one in the PST kit. I also scratch built a new grille and made some minor adjustments on the cab.

I thought there must be something wrong with the dimensions of the cab. It just don´t look right. The cab part in the kit is the same as in their GMC kit, and that can´t be right. I discussed this with Ilian Filipov, and he pointed out some errors that i´m now trying to fix. The cab now looks like a lump of putty, so these pics are a bit outdated.
All comments are welcome anyway.
/Peter

March 20th, 2012, 9:03 am #9

Bonjour,

Last week I only cleaned up some parts of the ambulance. I also received from Ian http://eshop.friendshipmodels.org.uk/, he is open to suggestions for detail sets BTW) the K2 detail sets I ordered the previous week. He read here that I was going to work on the K2 so in my order he added white metal parts from his K30 truck kit free of charge thinking I might have use for them! Thank you very much Ian! I appreciate it!

[/IMG]

The original detail set includes only 4 wheels, the suspension springs, the axles and drive shaft. He sent me as extras all the other pieces you can see in the picture. I'm particularly happy with the bridge classification disk, the exhaust, the 2 little U-hooks, the mirrors and the gas tanks.

I also learned last week from Mike Startmer (thanks Mike!) that the 6th South African Armoured Division probably did not use the K2 so I will make a Kiwi one after a few people here answered my questions about its use by Commonwealth forces (thank you Tim Neate, Ilian Filipov, Elliot Winthrop, Henri-Pierre Mas and Alan McNeilly for the help!). I sent an order to Peter http://aleranminis.com/) for some NZ decals and the white 99 on a black square.

Last night I worked on the front piece of the vehicle:

[/IMG]

For some reason, unlike with the RAF recovery vehicles, Airfix did not detail the front grills. My wife gave me a little bag made of some gauzy material. I started removing the smooth plastic (I still have to do the middle) and will glue the gauze on the back of the part.

Thank you for looking. Sorry for the blurry pictures, I'll get better at it, I hope.

Regards from Canada.
Francois Gousse
WWI Forum moderator
Francois,
Of course I respect the right of the people to do what they like in this hobby and I'm well aware everyone has his own approach to the problems. I just want to tell you I think that to cut off the openings in the radiator grille was mistake and will create additional problems (such like thinning the part from the inside which could be tricky).
I recall on my old Katie under German management I simply cemented small pieces of dense mesh cut to shape over the original kit part and I'm happy with the result:

I know it is too late for this one you are playing with, but probably for the next you may consider this approach.
Cheers!

March 20th, 2012, 11:42 am #10

Hello! You want more modern vehicles? Okay then, this will be my contribution to the Group Build...

[/IMG]

With this kit you can build the ambulance version too. Already started - this is the effort of one evening.

[/IMG]

Best regards to all!
Marc
Marc

A small point to watch out for on this kit. The hatch cover provided (part 98) is fine for the for the "combat" (i.e. pioneer) version but from the various photos I've seen it should be replaced on the ambulance version with a plain circular disc. This is borne out to an extent by the instructions which suggest that part 98 should only be used for the "combat" version.

The correct part (though it is a bit too thick) is included with the Revell Fuchs Hummel/NBC kit. If you have that kit and have built it as Hummel version then it would have been left over spare. If not, you can either file off the detail from part 98 or simply cut a circular disc of the same diameter from thin plastic card and use that in place of the kit part.

Hope this helps.

Bill