Braille Scale Group Build - 2012 'Medical Services' - Finale

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

Braille Scale Group Build - 2012 'Medical Services' - Finale

July 31st, 2012, 12:29 am #1

Hi Everyone,

Well all good things must come to an end and it is time to wrap up this Group Build. I must say it has been a wonderful experience and I have thoroughly enjoyed every post and comment. The quality of the builds has been outstanding and the gallery will be a real treat for those who haven't been involved in this venture. I have had five people send stuff in for inclusion in the gallery, I know there were many more involved than that, so if you can get your three pictures to me within the next few weeks it would be great. I have allowed these extra few weeks as I know that some of you need to finish off stuff to the standard you set yourselves, there will be no more weekly updates though. If we set a cut off date for the gallery to be posted of the 12th August, that should be enough time for you all to send me stuff to include in it. Even if it isn't finished please send in the current status of your build so you can be included and get a honourable mention.

I thank all those who took part and got involved, the response was far beyond what I imagined it would be, I hope you all enjoyed the experience and now have some different models in your collection. I would like to do another Group Build in 2013 if you would be interested, I had thought of the theme 'Anti-Tank'. This would provide a lot of scope again and some different builds hopefully. Anyway that is in the future, this is now and lets see the final display of your amazing talents gentlemen.

Once again thank you all, all the best,

Paul
“Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
― Douglas MacArthur

July 31st, 2012, 12:50 am #2

Hi Folks,

Well I got on really well with my two builds, despite lots of things cropping up to take me away from modelling. The Phanomen is finished with the painting and detailing (except for the width indicators and wipers, which will be added as soon as I can get them sorted), I came to put the transfers on and found all the red crosses in white circles out of register. I can't use them, they would spoil the look of the vehicle. I have ordered the Aleran set from Milicast, only to be informed they are currently out of stock and won't be getting any for about two weeks. You ever get the feeling that the modelling gods are out to get you? The little Fiat is a delight and is nearly finished, just a bit of tidying up and the transfers. When it is posted on the gallery it will be completely finished.

I have used the 'hairspray technique' for the Phanomen so I could get realistic chipping of the desert yellow overspray. I painted the whole vehicle Panzer Grey to begin with and then used Tamyia Desert Yellow for the topcoat. The chipping turned out better than I expected and I am pleased with the finish overall. Here are the photos....

First the Panzer Grey undercoat...

Then the Desert Yellow topcoat...

Then the chipping...

The Polski Fiat initial painting...

The detail added along with roof and tilt...

Well that's it for now, I will get these two ready for the final photo shoot and add them to the gallery when it is posted.

All the best,

Paul
“Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
― Douglas MacArthur

July 31st, 2012, 11:59 am #3

Hello Paul

The Granit ambulance is absolutely stunning. There would be very few Granit Ambulances around with a better finish than yours. (Ilian's is the only other I can think of that is in the same bracket)

The Fiat ambulance is turning out nicely, but you'll be hard pressed to make it look better than the Granit, though I hope you prove me wrong

Any issues with the Fiat build ? I have one of these, but way too late to start for the Group Build.

cheers
Neil
Neil Lyall

July 31st, 2012, 12:02 pm #4

Hi Everyone,

Well all good things must come to an end and it is time to wrap up this Group Build. I must say it has been a wonderful experience and I have thoroughly enjoyed every post and comment. The quality of the builds has been outstanding and the gallery will be a real treat for those who haven't been involved in this venture. I have had five people send stuff in for inclusion in the gallery, I know there were many more involved than that, so if you can get your three pictures to me within the next few weeks it would be great. I have allowed these extra few weeks as I know that some of you need to finish off stuff to the standard you set yourselves, there will be no more weekly updates though. If we set a cut off date for the gallery to be posted of the 12th August, that should be enough time for you all to send me stuff to include in it. Even if it isn't finished please send in the current status of your build so you can be included and get a honourable mention.

I thank all those who took part and got involved, the response was far beyond what I imagined it would be, I hope you all enjoyed the experience and now have some different models in your collection. I would like to do another Group Build in 2013 if you would be interested, I had thought of the theme 'Anti-Tank'. This would provide a lot of scope again and some different builds hopefully. Anyway that is in the future, this is now and lets see the final display of your amazing talents gentlemen.

Once again thank you all, all the best,

Paul
Hello Paul

Many thanks for organising the Group Build and keeping it on track. It has provided a good focus for modelling, and has provided interesting viewing each week. It was one more reason to look forward to Tuesdays, for me.

Looking forward to the Group Build.

cheers
Neil
Neil Lyall

July 31st, 2012, 7:34 pm #5

Hi Folks,

Well I got on really well with my two builds, despite lots of things cropping up to take me away from modelling. The Phanomen is finished with the painting and detailing (except for the width indicators and wipers, which will be added as soon as I can get them sorted), I came to put the transfers on and found all the red crosses in white circles out of register. I can't use them, they would spoil the look of the vehicle. I have ordered the Aleran set from Milicast, only to be informed they are currently out of stock and won't be getting any for about two weeks. You ever get the feeling that the modelling gods are out to get you? The little Fiat is a delight and is nearly finished, just a bit of tidying up and the transfers. When it is posted on the gallery it will be completely finished.

I have used the 'hairspray technique' for the Phanomen so I could get realistic chipping of the desert yellow overspray. I painted the whole vehicle Panzer Grey to begin with and then used Tamyia Desert Yellow for the topcoat. The chipping turned out better than I expected and I am pleased with the finish overall. Here are the photos....

Then the chipping...

Well that's it for now, I will get these two ready for the final photo shoot and add them to the gallery when it is posted.

All the best,

Paul
chipping I've ever seen - I am familiar with the hairspray method, but how did you get the larger, more worn areas to look so controlled and effective ? did you paint the hairspray on in those areas (near the running board and above the rear wheelwell ?

July 31st, 2012, 11:20 pm #6

Hello Paul

The Granit ambulance is absolutely stunning. There would be very few Granit Ambulances around with a better finish than yours. (Ilian's is the only other I can think of that is in the same bracket)

The Fiat ambulance is turning out nicely, but you'll be hard pressed to make it look better than the Granit, though I hope you prove me wrong

Any issues with the Fiat build ? I have one of these, but way too late to start for the Group Build.

cheers
Neil
Hi Neil,

Thank you for your very fulsome praise, I do appreciate and value it. The Fiat is a joy to build, it all goes together really well, you have to be careful though as some of the parts are very fine. Beautiful casting and a lovely little vehicle for the collection. I have the staff car and will set it in a diorama with my Vickers Tank a Invasion of Poland theme.

All the best,

Paul
― Douglas MacArthur

July 31st, 2012, 11:27 pm #7

chipping I've ever seen - I am familiar with the hairspray method, but how did you get the larger, more worn areas to look so controlled and effective ? did you paint the hairspray on in those areas (near the running board and above the rear wheelwell ?
Hi Peter,

Thank you for your kind comments. I decided to airbrush the hairspray in a more controlled manner this time, previously I have just liberally coated the model with the stuff. This time I carefully sprayed the hairspray exactly where I intended to do the chipping, two coats and when it was dry the Desert Sand topcoat. It seemed to work a treat and the results were very pleasing. Next is the weathering, when I get the transfers, this will be light dusting of pigment powder to tone down the Panzer Grey a little and dirty the 'glass'. It will be just put on a base, I haven't any specific setting for this model as it was purely a entry for the Group Build, I might include a figure of a medic to give it some meaning.

All the best,

Paul
― Douglas MacArthur

July 31st, 2012, 11:33 pm #8

Hello Paul

Many thanks for organising the Group Build and keeping it on track. It has provided a good focus for modelling, and has provided interesting viewing each week. It was one more reason to look forward to Tuesdays, for me.

cheers
Neil
Hi Neil,

It was a fun thing to do and I enjoyed every moment of it, all those lovely builds and the camaraderie was wonderful too. I am glad you got something out of it and, hopefully, the next year's Group Build might attract more people with the subject matter. Who will be doing the Brengun bicycles with Panzerfausts attached to the handlebars I wonder, definitely falls into the 'Anti-Tank' remit.

All the best,

Paul
― Douglas MacArthur

July 31st, 2012, 11:37 pm #9

Hello Paul

cheers
Neil
Hi Paul,

I've just sent my pictures, or at least I think I did, my e-mail's been playing up! Can you confirm if you've received them?

By the way, the 'Anti Tank' theme for the next Group Build sounds great!

Cheers,

Ian.

August 1st, 2012, 1:24 am #10

Hi Folks,

Then the chipping...

All the best,

Paul
I'm getting there! I got distracted with a second Bren, ACE Vickers VIB & RPM Staghound
& turning a Lince into a Lynx!

but am back on the NZ Bren Ambulance again & hope to post pics in a day or two.

Paul your models are looking really good, I like the Tarp & weathering too.

I like the Anti-Tank GB idea for next year too a good wide range of options I guess.
a DML Nashorn or UM Marder III springs to mind for me. sure you don't want to start that for Sept?

Anyway thanks a lots for everything Paul.

Cheers Elliott