Book - Sarthe , aout 1944 - Histoire d'une Liberation

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

Book - Sarthe , aout 1944 - Histoire d'une Liberation

November 20th, 2009, 5:48 pm #1

Hi all , I recently received this book by Fabrice Avoie and I can only add my small voice to Sam Wrens's , Steve Zaloga and Chris Leeman in saying it is worth the $/£/. I have a good collection of books and to be honest all the photos in Mr Avoie's book are all new to me. While some of photos may be small in parts they lack nothing in atmosphere and give a real "feel" to the area as it was then.

The only "minus" is that the text is all in French and i'm kicking myself that I did not pay more attention to the language when I was in school as the book seems to be jam packed with unit information and reports etc.

My few pennies were well spent on this and if it ever comes out in English I will not hesitate to buy it again

Best

Paul

November 24th, 2009, 3:32 pm #2

Folks,
I'll also add to the chorus of praise for this book. It's quite a research effort, and a major achievement.
Being another one of those "barely-understand-French" guys, I should point out that it's written in a clear style that does help to follow the text with only a little work.
best regards
Aris Kosionidis