Black Prince scratchbuild project

Hosted by John Prigent and Steve Zaloga, this is a discussion group dedicated to the armoured forces of the many Allied nations of the Second World War.

Black Prince scratchbuild project

August 5th, 2012, 9:45 am #1

Hi All

Having done a search I think this is the best place to post, if not i apologise

As George Bradford's plans service appears to have folded can anybody tell me if the plan is in any of his books please. I've noted Paul Roberts's comments about accuracy in earlier threads so will proceed with caution!

I have the Tank Museum plan set which consists of the stowage diagrams and a rough transport diagram which does however have some useful dimensions on it. I'm planning on a trip to Bovvie to photograph the survivor so if Shane or anybody else is still interested I should be able to help.

I've never seen the plate diagrams and armour thickness drawings usually done for British AFVs for the Black Prince which is a shame as they're a good basis for a scratchbuild like this. If anybody knows different I'm all ears!!

August 5th, 2012, 10:15 am #2

Hi Nicholas, I actually had the same idea many years ago to scratchbuild a large scale Black Prince, which I never got around to doing. I also enlarged George Bradfords drawings with this in mind, look they are pretty good for the overall shape of the tank in my opinion and once you have the overall shape down the finer details shouldn't be too much of a problem. The plate thickness drawings would help if they come with dimensions so if this is the case I'd say go for it. I presume you would be casting the tracks and suspension?

Regards
Steve

August 5th, 2012, 10:20 am #3

Hi All

As George Bradford's plans service appears to have folded can anybody tell me if the plan is in any of his books please. I've noted Paul Roberts's comments about accuracy in earlier threads so will proceed with caution!

I have the Tank Museum plan set which consists of the stowage diagrams and a rough transport diagram which does however have some useful dimensions on it. I'm planning on a trip to Bovvie to photograph the survivor so if Shane or anybody else is still interested I should be able to help.

I've never seen the plate diagrams and armour thickness drawings usually done for British AFVs for the Black Prince which is a shame as they're a good basis for a scratchbuild like this. If anybody knows different I'm all ears!!
so it is rumoured

August 5th, 2012, 11:04 am #4

Hi Steve, when I find which book they're in I'll have my first view of the Bradford drawings, I was taking my cue from some old threads the ML search threw up. The tracks will definately have to be cast, the suspension I'm going to have to look at before I commit. The top hat reinforcement on the trackguard will be tricky but, I think a jig should be easy enough to make. There's going to be a lot of plastic card involved!

Hi Greg, that will be interesting especially if they do a book with it as proposed for the Tortoise

August 5th, 2012, 12:09 pm #5

Hi All

in pdf format. I found in the web when search some info about vickers tank. if you need the drawings i can send you.

cheers.

August 5th, 2012, 2:33 pm #6

Hi All

Hi Nicholas,
The Black Prince is on p73 of "Allied Armoured Fighting Vehicles of WW2 - 1:72 scale" if you have access to it. If not I can email you a .pdf of the relevant page if you need it.

August 5th, 2012, 7:53 pm #7

so it is rumoured
"Under consideration". This company has a master but I believe they're holding off based on the market. Fingers crossed. http://www.imaco.com.hk/cgi-bin/prod.pl/id/IMA04935

August 5th, 2012, 8:01 pm #8

Hi All

kick me your e-mail address if you want them. At a bare minimum, I'd suggest trying to get basic measurements of the real tank if you want to accurize them. Something I've been wanting to do for some time, actually! Frankly, flat on photos of the tracks with a ruler beside would be invaluable, as those are non-standard. Actually, it would be extremely nice if some could do a new several dozen photo walkaround of the beast, this lovely one is the only I've seen on the tank.http://armorama.kitmaker.net/modules.ph ... artid=3271 The one concern is that it was supposed to be a runner this year and had an engine issue, so it might not be on display at the moment? Might be worth checking before visiting.

Matt