bitter taste left by iwata dealer.

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

bitter taste left by iwata dealer.

August 31st, 2005, 10:39 am #1

i just wanted to share a recent encounter i had with my iwata dealer which has left my view of iwata's somewhat diminished.i've been using an hp-b for about 2 years now and so far it's been trouble free,however just recentlly i managed to damage my airbrush to such an extent that i had to return it to the main iwata dealer for repair.anyway £50 and a week later i got my airbrush back with a list of replaced part's plus some line's sprayed on the back of the bill to indicate that my brush was working again.i got home and gave it a test and it was obvious straight away that something was wrong-as any of you that have spent countless hour's fine tuning your spraying,paint viscosity to air pressure,needle pre-set's etc.,etc will appreciate-you know when your favourite airbrush is'nt working right and mine simply was'nt.so i started to strip it down for a thorough clean (like i've done thousand's of time's before)after some soaking in cleaner i managed to dislodge a huge (in relative term's)lump of dried paint from the main airbrush body,i literally picked it out with tweezer's(it was green as well which told me how long it's been in there 'cause it's month's since i sprayed any U.S. olive drab stuff!)so confident that i'd cured the gremlin's i put the gun back together in readiness for another test run(funny how the dealer never found the paint blockage)compressor on......bubble's.that's right,as soon as i press the trigger bubble's start forming in the paint cup to such an extent that after 5/10 sec's of spraying the paint is spilling over the top of the cup?now what's wrong.so again i strip my iwata down and begin to double check everything and upon close inspection of the needle and tip it was clear that the fit was poor,you could see an uneven gap between the two if you held the needle about half open and looked at the opening head on.so the next day i rang the dealer's back and told him my problem's,starting with the bubble's.it's not possible to bubble the dealer told me(?)no,it's definatly bubbling i told him.well what have you done to it he ask's,nothing but try to use it,found it was'nt working properly,took it apart to clean it...he stopped me 'there's your problem-YOU HAVE TOOK IT APART AND YOU SHOULD NEVER DO THIS WITH IWATA'S!!!what?but i've done it a thousand time's before with never a problem i told him,does'nt matter he said,if you have taken the tip out(you know,the one you get the tip removing spanner with in your box)you have broken the seal(?)and will need to put beeswax on the thread to seal it again.now i've never heard this before but he's the expert right,so i told him the needle and tip were not matching/sealing properly-THEY NEVER DO there all self-centering he say's,again i'm left scratching my head,but you can see an uneven gap around the needle i told him 'COME ON,WHAT DO YOU EXPECT was the reply.what i expected was £150 worth of precision kit with a 0.02mm needle and a precise fit to a 0.02mm tip but obviously i was wrong.if i never had to put beeswax on the thread's before and never had a problem why now?needless to say this whole experience has left me questioning my loyalty to my iwata,the dealer said to send the gun in again but i'm not exactlly confident in them anymore.i emailed the iwata website and asked them if you are ever meant to take the tip out.i got a really quick and polite response in which they say you can remove the tip for cleaning purpose's but you SHOULD put beeswax on the thread's but only to aid insertion?was anyone else aware of this.i don't want to slag off iwata's and i know there's hundred's of you get a trouble free performance from your's(i use'd to be one)but like i said i'm just not sure now.

August 31st, 2005, 2:18 pm #2

Apart from being one of the most difficult-to-read posts ever seen on this forum, how is it that you can say:

" i started to strip it down for a thorough clean (like i've done thousand's of time's before)after some soaking in cleaner i managed to dislodge a huge (in relative term's)lump of dried paint from the main airbrush body,i literally picked it out with tweezer's"

If you actually knew how to do a thorough clean, as you have done thousands of times, how is that you missed such a bloody great gob of paint? This would seem to indicate that perhaps you don't really know what you are doing when it comes to the strip & assemble.

Pozzo Del Serpente

August 31st, 2005, 2:55 pm #3

i just wanted to share a recent encounter i had with my iwata dealer which has left my view of iwata's somewhat diminished.i've been using an hp-b for about 2 years now and so far it's been trouble free,however just recentlly i managed to damage my airbrush to such an extent that i had to return it to the main iwata dealer for repair.anyway £50 and a week later i got my airbrush back with a list of replaced part's plus some line's sprayed on the back of the bill to indicate that my brush was working again.i got home and gave it a test and it was obvious straight away that something was wrong-as any of you that have spent countless hour's fine tuning your spraying,paint viscosity to air pressure,needle pre-set's etc.,etc will appreciate-you know when your favourite airbrush is'nt working right and mine simply was'nt.so i started to strip it down for a thorough clean (like i've done thousand's of time's before)after some soaking in cleaner i managed to dislodge a huge (in relative term's)lump of dried paint from the main airbrush body,i literally picked it out with tweezer's(it was green as well which told me how long it's been in there 'cause it's month's since i sprayed any U.S. olive drab stuff!)so confident that i'd cured the gremlin's i put the gun back together in readiness for another test run(funny how the dealer never found the paint blockage)compressor on......bubble's.that's right,as soon as i press the trigger bubble's start forming in the paint cup to such an extent that after 5/10 sec's of spraying the paint is spilling over the top of the cup?now what's wrong.so again i strip my iwata down and begin to double check everything and upon close inspection of the needle and tip it was clear that the fit was poor,you could see an uneven gap between the two if you held the needle about half open and looked at the opening head on.so the next day i rang the dealer's back and told him my problem's,starting with the bubble's.it's not possible to bubble the dealer told me(?)no,it's definatly bubbling i told him.well what have you done to it he ask's,nothing but try to use it,found it was'nt working properly,took it apart to clean it...he stopped me 'there's your problem-YOU HAVE TOOK IT APART AND YOU SHOULD NEVER DO THIS WITH IWATA'S!!!what?but i've done it a thousand time's before with never a problem i told him,does'nt matter he said,if you have taken the tip out(you know,the one you get the tip removing spanner with in your box)you have broken the seal(?)and will need to put beeswax on the thread to seal it again.now i've never heard this before but he's the expert right,so i told him the needle and tip were not matching/sealing properly-THEY NEVER DO there all self-centering he say's,again i'm left scratching my head,but you can see an uneven gap around the needle i told him 'COME ON,WHAT DO YOU EXPECT was the reply.what i expected was £150 worth of precision kit with a 0.02mm needle and a precise fit to a 0.02mm tip but obviously i was wrong.if i never had to put beeswax on the thread's before and never had a problem why now?needless to say this whole experience has left me questioning my loyalty to my iwata,the dealer said to send the gun in again but i'm not exactlly confident in them anymore.i emailed the iwata website and asked them if you are ever meant to take the tip out.i got a really quick and polite response in which they say you can remove the tip for cleaning purpose's but you SHOULD put beeswax on the thread's but only to aid insertion?was anyone else aware of this.i don't want to slag off iwata's and i know there's hundred's of you get a trouble free performance from your's(i use'd to be one)but like i said i'm just not sure now.
Steve,
i've been using Iwata airbrushes for over 2 years now and generaly never had a problem!..it sounds like you haven't been cleaning after every paint session!..like you should!
looks like you are doing the correct cleaning method however, i think that the removal of the tip is ok!..I do it all the time..however i'm wondering what warranted the original maintanence?.."recentlly i managed to damage my airbrush to such an extent that i had to return it to the main iwata dealer for repair"

try shooting a cupfull of Tamiya extra thin glue thru the airbrush! that should clear up anyproblems!

Nick

August 31st, 2005, 5:31 pm #4

Apart from being one of the most difficult-to-read posts ever seen on this forum, how is it that you can say:

" i started to strip it down for a thorough clean (like i've done thousand's of time's before)after some soaking in cleaner i managed to dislodge a huge (in relative term's)lump of dried paint from the main airbrush body,i literally picked it out with tweezer's"

If you actually knew how to do a thorough clean, as you have done thousands of times, how is that you missed such a bloody great gob of paint? This would seem to indicate that perhaps you don't really know what you are doing when it comes to the strip & assemble.

Pozzo Del Serpente
i know i went on a bit of a rant,for that i apologise.but you seem to be missing my point somewhat,which was (1)why do i now get these bubble's when i've never had them before,every time i clean my airbrush now i've got to do all this beeswax stuff(i personally think the dealer's over tightened the tip himself somehow spoiling/ruining the once perfect seal i had (2)what is the official iwata line on this beeswax,is it for aiding insertion or to make a seal?if this seal stuff is rubbish then he's broken my airbrush and i want a refund.graeme why so aggresive?i've no reason to lie or exagerate.the paint blob was like a thin film that had been coating the inside of the main barrel,as i kept flushing cleaner through it started to dislodge so i picked it out,i think maybe it decided to come out now rather than all the other time's i've cleaned it was this was the first time i've used some vallejo airbrush cleaner,pretty good stuff.but like i said the paint blockage was'nt really the problem-it was the fact that according to the main U.K. iwata dealer you should never take your airbrush apart and that if you remove the tip you break the seal.cheer,s for the helpfull comment's nicola but i think i'll give the glue trick a miss-i've just had one ill informed idiot possibly ruin my airbrush so you'll understand if i take absolutley no notice of you what so ever.

August 31st, 2005, 6:09 pm #5

I thought the glue trick was Nick's idea of a sick joke, so I Pm'd him and he swears it really works.

Your bubbles are a result of backpressure causing air to go up through the cup. Its is 99% due to a clog in your system.

As for beeswx, it is common to use as a lubricant. I have never used it as a sealant, but if the iwata website told you to, I'm not sure how much more an "official answer" you want?

Pozzo Del Serpente

August 31st, 2005, 7:41 pm #6

i know i went on a bit of a rant,for that i apologise.but you seem to be missing my point somewhat,which was (1)why do i now get these bubble's when i've never had them before,every time i clean my airbrush now i've got to do all this beeswax stuff(i personally think the dealer's over tightened the tip himself somehow spoiling/ruining the once perfect seal i had (2)what is the official iwata line on this beeswax,is it for aiding insertion or to make a seal?if this seal stuff is rubbish then he's broken my airbrush and i want a refund.graeme why so aggresive?i've no reason to lie or exagerate.the paint blob was like a thin film that had been coating the inside of the main barrel,as i kept flushing cleaner through it started to dislodge so i picked it out,i think maybe it decided to come out now rather than all the other time's i've cleaned it was this was the first time i've used some vallejo airbrush cleaner,pretty good stuff.but like i said the paint blockage was'nt really the problem-it was the fact that according to the main U.K. iwata dealer you should never take your airbrush apart and that if you remove the tip you break the seal.cheer,s for the helpfull comment's nicola but i think i'll give the glue trick a miss-i've just had one ill informed idiot possibly ruin my airbrush so you'll understand if i take absolutley no notice of you what so ever.
I think the response you may/may not have gotten from the dealer doesnt reflect on the brush itself. Same with, say Ford car dealers. Some are good some are jerks but they all sell Fords, which are generally good cars.

Most problems I have had (or have seen in 20 years selling brushes) are from not cleaning the brush properly or not thinning paint enough. I will still get clogs or blobs of paint in my brushes. If it isnt spraying right... a good cleaning always fixes it. I think most people have found that big "blob" now and then, and sometimes it is hard to coax out.

Possibly the dealer sprayed some thinner through the brush, some thinned paint, didnt see a big problem, and didn't do a super thorough cleaning. When you went to spray, the loosened blob came out.

My Tamiya/Iwata brush says nothing about not taking anything apart, and I regularly strip down my Badger brushes into as many small parts as possible for a good cleaning with laquer thinner.

DAVID NICKELS

August 31st, 2005, 8:04 pm #7

you should NEVER take the nozzle tip off!! First off, why would you need to take it off?? Second, is it's made of brass and breaks very easy. Mine did, and it was very hard to fix. The only time you would want to take it off, is to replace it, but if you haven't put a **** load of hour/paint through it, then you shouldn't have to replace it. And if you do, then you NEED to either put bees wax of some sort off thread seller on it. It comes from the factory sealed, ever notice the purple stuff on it??

The only thing that needs to be broken down to clean your gun is the removal of the needle and that is it. Your gun can be cleaned built up, with the needle needing to be taken out to clean and lube it. See, my first gun doesn't run so hot either, because I went and changed my nozzle. So now it doesn't run as smooth as it once did. Do you know the golden rule??? If it works, don't fix it and if it doesn't work, you f... it up!!

Now why yours doesn't work?? Your gun sounds like it's an older model. Well these have a rubber seal in them, which breaks down over time and the use of cleaners doesn't help either. The new models have a nylon seal which doesn't break down and you can get your up-dated. When's the last time you replaced your needle?? They wear out and if you have not done this, sounds like you need a new one.

You should take the rear guts out, take off the tip to reveal the air hole and soke the gun in cleaner. The air hole is probably clogged up from where the air and paint mix, which is forcing the air backwards.

Also, if you have a gap around the needle and nozzle, is your needle all the way forward?? Sounds like you haven't set it.

Also, don't take things back to the dealer, you need to go to an art store that sells the guns. They will get you fixed up better than the dealer will.

August 31st, 2005, 8:15 pm #8

Steve,
i've been using Iwata airbrushes for over 2 years now and generaly never had a problem!..it sounds like you haven't been cleaning after every paint session!..like you should!
looks like you are doing the correct cleaning method however, i think that the removal of the tip is ok!..I do it all the time..however i'm wondering what warranted the original maintanence?.."recentlly i managed to damage my airbrush to such an extent that i had to return it to the main iwata dealer for repair"

try shooting a cupfull of Tamiya extra thin glue thru the airbrush! that should clear up anyproblems!

Nick
I'm just a little confused about what the glue does. Is it removing dries paint??

August 31st, 2005, 10:06 pm #9

Hi Ron,
well I was confused when I first heard this,too

Andrew Dextras told me about using this and ever since i've never had problems with my airbrush.

it really works to get out the dried paint that accumulates..and i only use acrylics!!

Nick

August 31st, 2005, 10:49 pm #10

Hello Steve
Please use your full name (first and last) as requested in the guidelines above when posting on this forum.

Thank you
ANPW