Bishop WIP-some paint

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

Bishop WIP-some paint

October 10th, 2010, 5:17 am #1

Finished painting the inside of the "turret". More to follow soon.

October 10th, 2010, 8:29 am #2

Love the dials & stencils,
The only thing is the weathering on the walls,
I'm sure that works for a worn whitewash on the exterior or even on a floor
But for a interior walls it reminds be of a moldy bathroom?
maybe wear just on the shelves & the odd scratch line on the wall?
What camo are you opting for?

Cheers Elliott

October 10th, 2010, 8:56 pm #3

I'm with Elliott on this colour. The interior of British AFVs was gloss white or less likely Aluminium by mid war. And it would never have looked that bad, the crew would have been on a charge faster than saying 'Jack Robinson'. The foam rubber padding on the roof was a biege colour. The 25pdr remained Khaki Green G3 on the interior and the barrel was the external colour out side of course. Khaki Green 3 was not an obvious green shade, it was a yellow-brown with a tinge of green about it.

October 11th, 2010, 12:36 am #4

Love the dials & stencils,
The only thing is the weathering on the walls,
I'm sure that works for a worn whitewash on the exterior or even on a floor
But for a interior walls it reminds be of a moldy bathroom?
maybe wear just on the shelves & the odd scratch line on the wall?
What camo are you opting for?

Cheers Elliott
Elliott. A little over with the paint chips. I am going to pint it a sand color with a wave of green across the turret. Take a look at Volker Benbennek's Bihop on the Constructive Comments group. It was his work that inspired me. I have the turret together now so might not have much of an ability to change or "clean up" the walls. Thanks again.

October 11th, 2010, 12:43 am #5

I'm with Elliott on this colour. The interior of British AFVs was gloss white or less likely Aluminium by mid war. And it would never have looked that bad, the crew would have been on a charge faster than saying 'Jack Robinson'. The foam rubber padding on the roof was a biege colour. The 25pdr remained Khaki Green G3 on the interior and the barrel was the external colour out side of course. Khaki Green 3 was not an obvious green shade, it was a yellow-brown with a tinge of green about it.
I would have never guessed a gloss white interior for this AFV. I just saw your article on British camo on the MAFVA web site. I bow to your knowledge, but already glued on the side and roof. Might be able to tone down the chips and dirt. I will be painting the Bishop sand with a green wave across the turrret. See Volker Bembennek's Bishop on the Constructive Comments group which is my attempt to replicate in our small scale. Great stuff!. Thanks again.

October 11th, 2010, 2:48 pm #6

Hi Dave, Great fun watching this come together!! The interior looks super. Keep it coming!
Randy

October 11th, 2010, 8:02 pm #7

I would have never guessed a gloss white interior for this AFV. I just saw your article on British camo on the MAFVA web site. I bow to your knowledge, but already glued on the side and roof. Might be able to tone down the chips and dirt. I will be painting the Bishop sand with a green wave across the turrret. See Volker Bembennek's Bishop on the Constructive Comments group which is my attempt to replicate in our small scale. Great stuff!. Thanks again.
With respect, the model you intend to copy is not very accurate in colours. These were painted in Light Stone 61 which is basically yellow not dirty cream and the band around the turret is of much lower contrast than the green on the model. From the two photographs of the real vehicle that I have seen it appears that one of the Camcolours range may have been used. Buff, terracotta or light green are the most likely colours. Let me know which paints you are going to use as I may be able to advise you on matches or mixes.

October 11th, 2010, 10:33 pm #8

Thanks Mike. I use only acrylics so Tamiya, Model Master, Poly S and Vallejo would be my selection. Any ideas would be appreciated.

October 13th, 2010, 10:06 am #9

I like it very much.
Let'go, Dave!

Alan

October 16th, 2010, 7:48 pm #10

Light Stone 61 basic colour = 7 x XF2 + 2 x XF59 + 2 x XF3.
Slate 34 = 1 x XF24 + 1 x XF4. Add about 25% medium or light grey to this for extreme fading.
For Deep Buff use XF59; This is lighter than the standard but OK for desert.
For Terracotta 44 use 5 x XF7 +3 x XF3 + 1 x XF52, you will need to fade this too