Best way to create leaves?

The Dioramas discussion group is hosted by Marijn Van Gils and is dedicated to all aspects of military model dioramas.

Best way to create leaves?

Jerry Spires
Jerry Spires

August 16th, 2004, 5:35 pm #1

Hi all,

Searching for your opinions on the best way to create fallen leaves, the type that litter the ground in fall/autumn. Thanks!

Peter Anderson
Peter Anderson

August 16th, 2004, 6:10 pm #2

A few things I've tried- tea from tea bags. Also, if you live in an area with birch trees, collect a handful of the seed pods - when you twist them they fall apart and look like leaf litter.

Peter

Jerry Spires
Jerry Spires

August 16th, 2004, 6:45 pm #3

I live by lots of birch trees. Now, by seed pods are you talking about the little yellow popcorn-innards type things? If not, what?

Thanks a bunch!

Mike Barnett
Mike Barnett

August 16th, 2004, 7:18 pm #4

Hi all,

Searching for your opinions on the best way to create fallen leaves, the type that litter the ground in fall/autumn. Thanks!
Go to your local grocery store and check out their aisle containing spices. Oregano and basil leaves are just a couple possibilities I have used (some are ground or chopped up more finely than others, try different brands/different stores if you're unsuccessful on your first search).
There is also the manufactured variety from the various cottage industries, some of which are very nice but not as cheap. If my memory serves, Hudson and Allen made some a while ago, maybe there are others by now. Check Model RR shops. HTH -Mike

Alain Bervoets
Alain Bervoets

August 18th, 2004, 9:19 am #5

Hi all,

At autumn, each year, I go with my kids in the woods and ask them to collect leaves (real ones) with colors from green to brown, from red to yellow.
Believe me, you would have to work hours to get such colors in 1/35.
When the leaves are dry, I use a mixer (make sure your wife is not around, she could get mad).

They make very convincing leaves and are very cheap.

Have a great day,
ALain
Brussels

Ken Hartlen
Ken Hartlen

August 20th, 2004, 8:52 pm #6

Hi Alain,

I tried this for the first time and I was very pleased with the result. I just put a dried leaf in a small stainless steel tub used for dipping sauces, and then used a rounded handle to grind up the leaf. Then I just dry brushed the terrain with white glue and used a spice bottle to sprinkle on the leaves.

More pix at: http://members.aol.com/kwhcoaster/Home.html

Ken

Peter Anderson
Peter Anderson

August 23rd, 2004, 7:22 pm #7

I live by lots of birch trees. Now, by seed pods are you talking about the little yellow popcorn-innards type things? If not, what?

Thanks a bunch!
Yup, the little seed pods that hang down in late summer through the fall. Pick them and leave out to dry (nothing fancy, I just leave pods I collect in a plastic bowl on my workbench for a week or two).
Twist apart- instant leaves.....

Peter