Best M113A1 Kit is...?

The Modern AFV discussion group is hosted by Erik Gustavsson and covers the variety of AFVs used by all nations in the post WWII era.

Best M113A1 Kit is...?

April 5th, 2012, 6:43 pm #1

Hi,

I've been away from armour modelling for a while. One subject that I want to do is a 1/35th scale M113A1 APC, circa 1970. So, what's the consensus as to the best kit on the market today? TIA for any information!

April 5th, 2012, 7:06 pm #2

Academy. A new tool M-113 would be most welcome though...

Jim

April 5th, 2012, 7:13 pm #3

Hi,

I've been away from armour modelling for a while. One subject that I want to do is a 1/35th scale M113A1 APC, circa 1970. So, what's the consensus as to the best kit on the market today? TIA for any information!
But as Jim says, the Academy kit is tops. The other two are the old Tamiya kit and the Italeri kit.

RobG
RobG

April 5th, 2012, 8:15 pm #4

Academy. A new tool M-113 would be most welcome though...

Jim
It has it's issues but the Nam Versions gives you lots of spares

April 5th, 2012, 8:22 pm #5

Hi,

They make a lot of crappy kits but their M113 series is half way decent. Your other choices are the old Tamiya kit, and the Italeri kit. Academy's kit seems to be based heavily on the Tamiya one, but is more accurate for the most part and better detailed. Tamiya's kit is "okay" but definitely needs some detail help and has the wrong engine. Tamiya's tracks are very poor... Italeri's kit is not "bad" but is rather sparsely detailed. I did get a couple Italeri kits in Revell boxes extremely cheap, though, and for external models or to use conversion kits, it worked out okay.
DAVID NICKELS

April 5th, 2012, 8:46 pm #6

Thanks for the input, guys. One question: I'll be doing a Canadian M113A1, 1969. The Academy Vietnam version is the only 113A1 in the series (that I could find) and it's recommended. But the image shows some noticeable changes to what I want: the trim vane and what appear to be stowage boxes on the front fenders are two. Are these add-on parts with the earlier standard A1 parts included in the kit, or is this a dedicated Vietnam subject without the earlier parts?

April 5th, 2012, 8:52 pm #7

They are seperate parts. I believe all are seperate add on items!
Last edited by Warfrost on April 5th, 2012, 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 5th, 2012, 9:10 pm #8

They make a lot of crappy kits but their M113 series is half way decent. Your other choices are the old Tamiya kit, and the Italeri kit. Academy's kit seems to be based heavily on the Tamiya one, but is more accurate for the most part and better detailed. Tamiya's kit is "okay" but definitely needs some detail help and has the wrong engine. Tamiya's tracks are very poor... Italeri's kit is not "bad" but is rather sparsely detailed. I did get a couple Italeri kits in Revell boxes extremely cheap, though, and for external models or to use conversion kits, it worked out okay.
I am not aure about their M113 kit but I know their M163 and M901 kits (to accomodate the different rear roof plates)have a two piece upper hull (sperated right behind the drivers hatch) and the join makes for some pretty tricky and careful sanding work to make correct.

April 5th, 2012, 11:24 pm #9

I don't recall a multi part roof. Their kit would be my third choice for an M113 on the other hand I got some cheap ($10) and used, for example, the Academy flame thrower turret on one.
DAVID NICKELS

April 6th, 2012, 1:14 pm #10

They are seperate parts. I believe all are seperate add on items!
Internally the fuel cell is incorrect but easily fixed (one could get a resin replacement), the turrets offered are misshapen, and details could be finer but it is a good starting point.

Regards,

Saúl García