Best M1 Abrams kit

The Modern AFV discussion group is hosted by Erik Gustavsson and covers the variety of AFVs used by all nations in the post WWII era.

Best M1 Abrams kit

September 5th, 2017, 11:56 pm #1

Which are the best kits overall when doing a M1 Abrams. Not interested in doing one with an interior, just would like to do a M1A1, M1A2 and perhaps the Tusk. Tamiya kits seem to be easy builds but do require some additional detailing, like anti slip and stuff like that from what I am hearing...... any suggestions...

September 6th, 2017, 6:44 am #2

You can take a look at a short note on my website home page:http://vodnik.net/

September 6th, 2017, 1:27 pm #3

Which are the best kits overall when doing a M1 Abrams. Not interested in doing one with an interior, just would like to do a M1A1, M1A2 and perhaps the Tusk. Tamiya kits seem to be easy builds but do require some additional detailing, like anti slip and stuff like that from what I am hearing...... any suggestions...
All of the various 1/35th M1 kits have their strong and weak points. Overall, the Meng and Rye kits offer the best value as far as fit, detail, and ease of assembly go, with a slight edge to the Meng kit. hth

September 6th, 2017, 6:02 pm #4

Without the additional applique (tusk) armor?

September 6th, 2017, 10:29 pm #5

Yes. nt

September 9th, 2017, 1:07 pm #6

You can take a look at a short note on my website home page:http://vodnik.net/
Hi Pawel
Sad news for your article but it's quite evident that it's a ton of work.
A little question, i heard that the Meng kit have a problem on the front part of its turret.
Do you know if there's really a problem of accuracy on the Meng turret?

Btw i have 4 Dragon's M1A1/2 and took an Academy one at a very low price. The Academy M1A2 looks really a great kit that need for sure new tracks.

Thanks in advance

Stephane

September 13th, 2017, 10:39 am #7

As far as I know the Meng turret front is the most accurate... If you have seen the reference to the set of measurements that was posted online as a source of claim of Meng kit inaccuracy, I must say that those measurements were used to design the Dragon AIM kit, but they unfortunately they contain error that was a source of small error in Dragon kit...

September 15th, 2017, 8:18 am #8