Best blades for scratchbuilding

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

Best blades for scratchbuilding

January 2nd, 2012, 10:40 pm #1

Hi all,

I'm after some opinions or recommendations on what the best type of blades are for scratchbuilding - primarily for just cutting styrene sheets.

I've always used the trusty old no 11 blades, but recently I've been doing a lot of scratchbuilding and I'm going through these blades quite quickly. The main problem I have is the tips tend to snap quite easily and there not much use once this has happened so I'm guessing maybe a rounder blade would be better suited.

Any suggestions gratefully received, thanks and a happy new year to all.

January 3rd, 2012, 1:36 am #2

I always use #11 Swann Morton scalpel blades in a Swann Morton scalpel handle - I like scalpel handles 'cos they dont roll around the work bench.

Never had a problem with breakage, but scratching does take a toll. I have a small oil stone on my workbench and I give the blade a bit of a sharpen when it dulls. Its a bit Micky Mouse but I am a stingey old sod. I have three scalpels on the go at any time;- one with the new blade for the serious stuff, one thats getting a bit past it for rougher stuff and a fairly blunt one for scraping and other improper uses.

I also have a #10 in an ordinary modelling knife handle which I use for 'chiseling', ie removing surface detail from a kit. Dont do any cutting with it.

I use a JLC razor saw for short cuts and for cutting rods, tubes, extrusions, etc, as it saves the scalpel and also eliminates the raised edge of a scalpel cut.

Regards Dave

January 3rd, 2012, 7:09 am #3

Thanks for the suggestion.

I like the idea of having three different knives plus it means I have an excuse to buy some more goodies now!

January 3rd, 2012, 11:13 am #4

Hi all,

I'm after some opinions or recommendations on what the best type of blades are for scratchbuilding - primarily for just cutting styrene sheets.

I've always used the trusty old no 11 blades, but recently I've been doing a lot of scratchbuilding and I'm going through these blades quite quickly. The main problem I have is the tips tend to snap quite easily and there not much use once this has happened so I'm guessing maybe a rounder blade would be better suited.

Any suggestions gratefully received, thanks and a happy new year to all.
I agree with what has been said, though I personally prefer the 10A.
Quite right though, there is a high useage, and I keep the same routine, one used, one old, one new ready to go.

The single sided razor plades are good for slicing, though care MUST be taken.

The Olfa cutter is useful for thicker card, and for scribing straight lines.

I also use a heavy "Craft Knife" blade (for cutting carpets etc), as it has a longer blade length, for cutting larger diameter rod/tube, it is handy.

Always need an excuse to get more "toys" though.

George.

January 5th, 2012, 10:17 pm #5

Thanks for your suggestions too, I be sure to try them out - off to do a bit of shopping now!