Best all-around acrylic for modeler on a budget

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

Best all-around acrylic for modeler on a budget

December 4th, 2007, 5:58 pm #1

As I am on a tight hobby budget (as are many of us!) I have been trying to find ONE line of paints that give the best all-around performance for airbrushing and brush painting. For example Tamiya is great for airbrushing but tough to brush paint. Vallejo is great to brush paint but needs a primer (no matter how hard I wash/scrub I can't get it stick to raw plastic).
So I guess what I am looking for is a line of paints that airbrush well and brush paint well (on unprimed plastic). Is there a single brand out there you guys would recommend?

December 4th, 2007, 9:09 pm #2

It brush paints better than Tamiya and airbrushes beautifully. Poly Scale isnt bad either.
DAVID NICKELS

December 5th, 2007, 2:35 pm #3

Thank you David. I really appreciate all your advice. I can always count on you to give me a quick concise answer.

December 5th, 2007, 3:29 pm #4

Other than the buffable metallics and some of the specialty colours tinted transparents and such, I have just never liked Gunze-gotta just be me though.
I do absolutely agree with Dave about PollyScale-brushes well and sprays well. Old PollyS paint is possibly the worlds WORST spraying paint though
I love spraying Tamiya. I used to hate it for brush painting because it seemed to harden and dry in the time it took from the bottle to the model. Then a guy oin my club recommended thinning (I do it in the bottle) the paint about 60-40 ish to get it whole milk like. If it's a new full bottle I just separate the paint into two bottles. Once I started thinning in the bottle the paint brushes great and seems to last a whole lot longer too
my2cMerryChristmasbobC

December 5th, 2007, 3:43 pm #5

As I am on a tight hobby budget (as are many of us!) I have been trying to find ONE line of paints that give the best all-around performance for airbrushing and brush painting. For example Tamiya is great for airbrushing but tough to brush paint. Vallejo is great to brush paint but needs a primer (no matter how hard I wash/scrub I can't get it stick to raw plastic).
So I guess what I am looking for is a line of paints that airbrush well and brush paint well (on unprimed plastic). Is there a single brand out there you guys would recommend?
Although I almost always use primer no matter what I am painting, or what kind of paint I am using. I have used Vallejo on bare plastic, and bare resin. However what I have found is that you have to use their thinner to thin it, or, use their pre thinned Air Line of paints. Yes you still have to give it a little bath (especially resin) to get rid of the oils, but from what I have used them on, I have never had a problem, but it has to be thinned with their thinner.

One thing I wish Vallejo would do is bring their thinner out in a bigger bottle. Say the size of their large bottle of airbrush cleaner, about 85-100ml.

December 5th, 2007, 9:49 pm #6

Other than the buffable metallics and some of the specialty colours tinted transparents and such, I have just never liked Gunze-gotta just be me though.
I do absolutely agree with Dave about PollyScale-brushes well and sprays well. Old PollyS paint is possibly the worlds WORST spraying paint though
I love spraying Tamiya. I used to hate it for brush painting because it seemed to harden and dry in the time it took from the bottle to the model. Then a guy oin my club recommended thinning (I do it in the bottle) the paint about 60-40 ish to get it whole milk like. If it's a new full bottle I just separate the paint into two bottles. Once I started thinning in the bottle the paint brushes great and seems to last a whole lot longer too
my2cMerryChristmasbobC
Go to Wal Mart and in the craft section buy a bottle of Plaid or Apple Barrel acrylic retarder. Its like $1 something... Makes the paints dry slower.
DAVID NICKELS

mld

December 9th, 2007, 4:33 am #7

It brush paints better than Tamiya and airbrushes beautifully. Poly Scale isnt bad either.
Every once in a while I forget and in the interest of expediency instead of dragging out the airbrush to spray on a gloss or flat coat, I'll grab a can of Dull or Glosscoat from Testors/ModelMaster..then I end up having to repaint because this stuff eats through Gunze acryllics like a knife through butter..

no problems with the MM acryl gloss or flat over Gunze though...

Mike

December 9th, 2007, 4:46 pm #8

The aerosol sprays can be used in THIN and LIGHT coats. I use Testors Clear Flat Laquer in a jar, and airbrush it
DAVID NICKELS