best 20 mm quad flak in 1/72 scale ?

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

best 20 mm quad flak in 1/72 scale ?

February 15th, 2011, 11:40 am #1

Hello

I'm looking for the best (most accurate) 20mm quad flak gun in 1/72 scale

To my knowledge the choices are from Esci/Italeri, Hasegawa, Military Wheels

can anyone advise which is the best choice of these ? Not too worried about the barrels as they are easily replaced with brass, more concerned with general shape, scale, and shape of the shield.

all advice / opinions are valued

thanks
Neil
Last edited by neilyall on February 15th, 2011, 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neil Lyall

February 15th, 2011, 12:13 pm #2

From the ones you mentioned, (I have all of them) I think Military Wheels is the best. However, the MW version features no crewmen while both Esci and Hasegawa kits provide some crewmen (pretty poor in both, so nothing to regret too much)...

February 15th, 2011, 3:55 pm #3

best 20 mm quad flak is revell germany in the S-100 kit of f course it's marine type

February 15th, 2011, 8:28 pm #4

From the ones you mentioned, (I have all of them) I think Military Wheels is the best. However, the MW version features no crewmen while both Esci and Hasegawa kits provide some crewmen (pretty poor in both, so nothing to regret too much)...
Excellent. I need two for the armored train I'm building. The kit parts are far too poor to assemble.
The Duke; Mark Deliduka
Virtuoso of Miniatures

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.

February 16th, 2011, 3:43 am #5

I would go with the FUJIMI weapons set. It has a quad flak and the single 20mm gun.
Nice fine scale barrels and sheilds "more correct", size looks right. Much better than
hasegawa unless you use a quad out of a newer " Wirbelwind " kit. The ESCI kit is a joke, even for
1976 ! (or whatever) I have no clue about the Military Wheels version, but if their other offerings
are an indication (and price) I would go for my choices - ease of construction and price wise!
Last edited by Christopher Benjamin on February 16th, 2011, 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 16th, 2011, 12:01 pm #6

Excellent. I need two for the armored train I'm building. The kit parts are far too poor to assemble.
Hi all

thanks for your input

Same as Mark, I'm looking to replace the two 20mm flak on the Mach 2 BP-44. I don't need them immediately, but wanted to know in advance what to start looking for.

I built a MW Quad flak for a T-34 flak. It looks OK built, but I recall it took a bit of work to get it looking OK, and had lots of flash on delicate parts. I have another MW quad flak unassembled, checking the sprues, it needs very little clean up, looks like I was luckier with this one. I was hoping the esci/italeri or hasegawa rated better as they would be quick builds by comparison.

The Mach 2 quad flaks need lots of cleanup of small & delicate parts. Not sure about accuracy, I'll compare the sprues to my unbuilt MW flak

I don't know if Fujimi kits still in production. I'll have to see if I can track down the Fujimi offering and see how it looks. Hopefully its a bit overscale.

cheers & thanks again
Neil
Last edited by neilyall on February 16th, 2011, 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neil Lyall

February 16th, 2011, 1:59 pm #7

Hello

can anyone advise which is the best choice of these ? Not too worried about the barrels as they are easily replaced with brass, more concerned with general shape, scale, and shape of the shield.

thanks
Neil
The old Fujimi 20mm flak set was pretty good except for the quad shield which if i recall was an odd shape and would need replacing. The single 20mm flak was reputed to be 1.72 scale and not 1.76 as the box said. If that was the case then its possible that the quad was 1.72 as well!

February 16th, 2011, 2:45 pm #8

Hello

thanks
Neil
ALBY makes one in resin, which is pretty nice, if you can get it.

- George

February 16th, 2011, 6:11 pm #9

Hello

thanks
Neil
try Armo a resin kit with metal barrels the best vierling there is on the market
all the plastic has there faults but the best plastic is Hasagawa Wirblewind there older version on the Sdkfz 7 has over scale parts shield and barrels are not usefull.

Fujimii pretty good sits are not correct and the shield and shield mounts the single 20mm is over scale even for 1/72 more 1/68ish

Esci is just crap
Last edited by Mondria on February 16th, 2011, 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greetings Patrick Mondria
for some of my work
http://midnightgreys.blogspot.nl/

February 16th, 2011, 11:17 pm #10

I would go with the FUJIMI weapons set. It has a quad flak and the single 20mm gun.
Nice fine scale barrels and sheilds "more correct", size looks right. Much better than
hasegawa unless you use a quad out of a newer " Wirbelwind " kit. The ESCI kit is a joke, even for
1976 ! (or whatever) I have no clue about the Military Wheels version, but if their other offerings
are an indication (and price) I would go for my choices - ease of construction and price wise!
The Fujimi (if you can find one) is by far the best in braille.