Best 1/72 M1 Abrams?

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

Best 1/72 M1 Abrams?

May 23rd, 2011, 5:04 am #1

I'm interested in building a 1/72 M1A1 Abrams and would like to hear people's input on what is the best available kit in this scale (quality of parts, accuracy, etc). I have Hasegawa's, Italeri's and Trumpeter's but am not 100% satisfied with any of them. My local hobby shop has been unable to get me any of the DML versions.

Your input will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Brian

May 23rd, 2011, 9:13 am #2

I'm no expert, but when I asked some time ago, the answer was that Revell's was the best.

Not sure if anything has changed since that.

regards,
Steen

The new kid on the block:
http://inscalemodelling.com

May 23rd, 2011, 2:53 pm #3

yup Revell's kit is superior

May 23rd, 2011, 5:02 pm #4

I'm interested in building a 1/72 M1A1 Abrams and would like to hear people's input on what is the best available kit in this scale (quality of parts, accuracy, etc). I have Hasegawa's, Italeri's and Trumpeter's but am not 100% satisfied with any of them. My local hobby shop has been unable to get me any of the DML versions.

Thanks.

Brian
You should be able to find Revell's M1A2 on E-bay. It's by far the better of the lot. You can build either the A1 or the A2 version fom it. Only problem is the tracks, they're the 'older' style...

HTH

Matt

May 23rd, 2011, 8:11 pm #5

yup Revell's kit is superior
according to several articles on this forum and an actual photographic study, Revel is too large, and the Dragon correct in size.

May 23rd, 2011, 9:40 pm #6

Thanks.

Brian
If it looks like an apple . . . it is an apple. Revell or Dragon is my choice. (n/t)

May 24th, 2011, 7:32 am #7

Thanks.

Brian
Hello,
in terms of shape and dimensional accuracy the best choice for an M1 in 1/72 is DML/Dragon. Sadly, it is not a state-of-the-art kit, not even approaching the quality of Dragon's latest releases. Revell's offering is a lot more attractive, but it fails in terms of dimensional accuracy being too big; furthermore suspensions, sideskirts and the turret's angles are all off, this last defect shared with the newer Trumpeter's kit. If you can afford buying Dragon's and Revell's too, I'd suggest starting with the Dragon hull+turret, and adding the Revell's wheels (beautiful and dimensionally ok) and trumpeter's gun tube (the only nice rendition of the 120mm rheinmetall in 72nd scale, to my opinion).
Happy modelling,
Stefano

May 29th, 2011, 5:34 pm #8

Trumpeter is the only onewith the holes in rhe sprocket wheels.
Dragon and Trumpeter has the late type of tracks the others have the early type.
Some notes from my builds of the Abrams:http://web.comhem.se/~u86418561/72scale/abrams.html
I guess the best Abrams still is the old Esci kit .

Björn B
Björn Bäcklund

http://baecklund.eu/scalemodels/home.html