Been interested in the Great War stuff for a while now, but what is good?

Hosted by Francois Gousse this discussion group is dedicated to AFV's of the First World War from all countries as well as tank development during the 1920s and 1930s.

Been interested in the Great War stuff for a while now, but what is good?

Hans Haase
Hans Haase

March 12th, 2004, 6:02 pm #1

Let me kick this one into gear with a big and open ended question.....

Unlike the 2nd war incarnations, the WWI stuff has never really been covered that well as far as reviews and available information about the models that are out there. Or at least not that I have been made aware of.

Which companies offer good stuff as far as armor and figures, and what do I stay away from? What companies even offer stuff, does anybody have a decent list of available kits?

Lastly, where do I go for accurate research information on these topics?

-Hans

Robert Langham
Robert Langham

March 12th, 2004, 6:19 pm #2

As for 1/72 kits in plastic you can't go wrong. The RPM Ford Model T ambulance and MMGS are little gems, and the emhar Mk IV male, female and german A7V are very good. Haven't seen the RPM FT-17's but apparently their good. Mirage are releasing a whole bunch of FT17's soon as well. As for 1/35 i'm not sure, Emhar 1/35 kits are probably as good as the 1/72 ones and the same probably goes for the RPM Ford Model T MMGS and cargo carrier in 1/35.

Jakko Westerbeke
Jakko Westerbeke

March 12th, 2004, 6:57 pm #3

Unlike the 2nd war incarnations, the WWI stuff has never really been covered that well as far as reviews and available information about the models that are out there. Or at least not that I have been made aware of.

Which companies offer good stuff as far as armor and figures, and what do I stay away from? What companies even offer stuff, does anybody have a decent list of available kits?

-Hans
In 1:35th, Emhar is pretty good ? although the tank kits are fairly basic, they look the part and don;t really need detailing except for the tracks (which are horrible). You can, of course, detail them quite a bit if you want to.

David Nickels
David Nickels

March 12th, 2004, 7:02 pm #4

-Hans
The Emhar 1/72 plastic kits are pretty nice, if not simplified/simplistic. Personally, I do not like their 1/35 kits at all. They are very thick, crudely detailed, and lack even the most basic small parts/details. The gun barrels are not even round! The Whippet is arguably the best of the lot (was the last kit done) but even that takes work. All hatches are molded shut and tracks are very thick vinyl pieces and there is little to no represnetaion of the vehicles suspensions.

Interus from Russia makes a Mk. IV or V that is maybe a little better than the Emhar kits.

The RPM Renaults in 1/72 are pretty neat, but really roughly molded and have 42,000 tiny parts each. You will spend alot of time building these tiny kits from the dozens and dozens of parts. Basically the kits are all the same, with just the box and instructions differing. For example, the sprue has the hex and rounded turrets, American and French hull sides, hull fronts, turret roofs, Maxim, Marlin, Browning, Hotchkiss, Nambu and Puteaux cannons and machineguns, smoke drums, etc. Tracks are rather thick vinyl.

The 1/35 Renaults take some work. The old HK 35/NKC resin kit was best by far. ADV is farther behind but better than RPM. The vinyl tracks definitely need to be replaced with either RPM's link set, Friul, Kasten or Aber sets. The kits are closer to FT-31's in that they have post-War wheels and other details. Not bad but not snap together. A few kits include photo-etch and the hexagonal turreted version has the round turret and photo-etch as well.

Jorit Wintjes
Jorit Wintjes

March 12th, 2004, 8:29 pm #5

-Hans
Hans,

A good - heck, the best one I know - source of information on the net is Paul Kemp's landships (www.landships.freeservers.com) site.

Fine Scale Factory (www.finescalefactory.de/) from Germany have some really nice kits (for all the resin-sniffers out there ), and Reviresco has a white metal line of armoured cars, tenders and other interesting stuff. Personally, I must admit, I think some of the Reviresco kits have a certain 'heavyness' on them, with some parts beinog rather thickish.

By the way, Matchbox had a nice'n simple FT-17 kit in a set together with a Char B1 bis, but you would be lucky to get one these days.

As far as my personal all-time favourite is concerned (the Rolls Royce armoured car - what else served from Flandern Fields till the 1960s?), there are (apart from Reviresco) some kits out there, although I have yet to see really convincing spoked wheels.

Which brings me to a question - does anyone know an aftermarket source for 1/72 or 1/76 PE spoked wheels suitable for WW1 armoured cars? For my scratchbuilt Rolls I used plastic lookalikes (rather 'wannabees' ) from the bottom of the spares box, but they only look right from about a mile away or so...

All the best,

and with many thanks to the missing-lynx team and Francois Gousse for making this DG possible!

Jorit

Peter Kempf
Peter Kempf

March 13th, 2004, 8:20 am #6

-Hans
It's a question of scale really.

If its super detail and super finish you are after, then nothing can beat 1:35, obviously! The work of 1:35-scale modellers are a constant source of inspiration, admiration and even envy for me The amount of available kits is small though, even meagre when compared to the glut of WW2-material. We have for instance Tauro and EMHAR but their 1:35-efforts do look a bit dated compared with the latest efforts from, say, Tamiya. I've seen articles on very fine resin WW1 kits, but they are also few.

I am a 1/72-scaler myself. And the reasons are chiefly time, money and space. 1/72 scale kits are much cheaper and take up much less space than 1:35, and also you can finish a kit with quite reasonable results in just a week-end. And also: the amount of available 1/72 WW1 kits is MUCH bigger, especially if you want to do artillery and/or softskin vehicles as well. The quality of many kits are so-so, especially if you compare them with standard 1:35 scale kits, but quality is steadily improving even here. (1/72 scale AFV kits are in general getting better and better. Some of the new Revell offerings are in detail almost comparable to 1:35!) I can recommend you taking a look at my site (http://www.landships.freeservers.com) where you can find both a lot of reviews of 1/72 scale kits, and lists of what kits that can be found. And there is more about than you think!

Botttom line: it's your choice! There are pros and cons to both scales!

All the best
/Peter K

Jorit Wintjes
Jorit Wintjes

March 13th, 2004, 8:54 am #7

Paul,

I only now realized that I misspelled your name! I'm very sorry indeed for this really unexcusable error.

All the best,

Jorit

Jorit Wintjes
Jorit Wintjes

March 13th, 2004, 8:56 am #8

Peter,

I guess I should go to bed now - this time I managed to use the wrong Apostle...

Really ashamed,

Jorit