Beach Master Colin Maud, and Tamiya Tilly

This "virtual workbench" is hosted by Robert Oehler and Brett Green, and is designed so that Missing-lynx readers can share their "in progress" photos with the rest of the readership and generate constructive discussions. Participation is open to all Missing-lynx visitors.

Beach Master Colin Maud, and Tamiya Tilly

December 2nd, 2011, 10:11 pm #1

Hi all

Thought I would post up two pictures for a simple (as simple as they are for me) little vignette/diorama. Years ago I picked up a figure that was supposed to be Royal Navy Beach Master Colin Maud who had a great scene in the movie "The Longest Day". This figure had been painted years ago but sat unused in a parts drawer until the Tamiya Austin Tilly truck came out. I figured I would find a way to use both of them together in a small simple scene. The Tilly was built almost out of the box. I added some resin tires from Azumit and made up the little buckles from some spare PE sets. Furthermore I added a foil radiator cover and new foil flap for the canvas tilt.

The base was a photo frame from Ikea. The sea wall is made from two pieces of styrofoam carved to shape then covered with some sandy artist texture gell. The top will be covered in barbed wire. The beach surface was done from 2 part plumbers putty with some real sand added. I also used a set of boot prints to mark up the beach like a whole bunch of soldiers had been moving about. The Sommerfield matting was made just like the real stuff.

Now I have to sit and paint all the bits and bring it all together. For the Tilly, I was unable to find any info on the deep wading kit for them or if a Royal Navy beachgroup would be using RN marked vehicles. Im still up in arms about adding a RN to the door.

Any comments most welcome.

Jordan

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

December 3rd, 2011, 1:41 am #2

Remember that scene well. I think the dog was named Winston.

December 3rd, 2011, 12:01 pm #3

According to Wikipedia (so it must be true!) the real life dog was called Winnie and was a German Shepherd. A British Bulldog named 'Winston' in the film 'The Longest Day' is clearly an improvement of actual history (again as it says in Wikipedia).

December 4th, 2011, 10:24 am #4

The scene with Kenneth More in the film, also had a young(ish) Shaun Connery, was this his first acting role?? Also watching "The Battle of the River Plate" the other day, a bit role by Christopher (Dracula) Lee, playing the bar owner of the bar on the riverfront. Was this his earliest role?

Funny the things that go through the mind when you're retired !!

George.

December 4th, 2011, 12:20 pm #5

My original idea was to do the scene with a UCarrier. However it would have gotten larger then I wanted it to. Plus I really wanted to put him with the Tilly. I had also just completed a diorama with a Carrier in it (last year) and am currently working on another Carrier diorama. Plus rebuilding an actual UCarrier I was getting "carriered" out.

Basically I just wanted to keep this one simple and building something in under a year. I was also going to add the loudspeaker and a WS18set on the sunken ammo box. But I have to find my stash of Resicast Brit radios first. They have wandered "off net" somewhere in my model room.

I've read that long ago that the film took those liberties with the dog to make the "story" better. I also believe that was one of Sean Connery's first movie roles. He and the other guy had three small scenes in the movie.

Jordan

December 6th, 2011, 2:58 pm #6

The scene with Kenneth More in the film, also had a young(ish) Shaun Connery, was this his first acting role?? Also watching "The Battle of the River Plate" the other day, a bit role by Christopher (Dracula) Lee, playing the bar owner of the bar on the riverfront. Was this his earliest role?

Funny the things that go through the mind when you're retired !!

George.
Information not shared is information lost.

1/87er, die feinmotorisch flinke Elite des Modellbaus.