Battle of the Bulge Dio (nearly finished)

The Dioramas discussion group is hosted by Marijn Van Gils and is dedicated to all aspects of military model dioramas.

Battle of the Bulge Dio (nearly finished)

November 2nd, 2007, 9:00 pm #1

Hello all,
this is my first post in this great board.
I am a modeller from germany, building models during my youth (braille scale) and restart building since 1998.
Now the time has come to show you some pics of my, not yet finished, BoB-Dio.

It shows german troups slowed down on muddy, small ways in the deep forrest of the Ardennes passing by a destroyed sherman M4A1 tank.
Will be finished soon (getting enough snow is not that easy).

Don't know yet how to paste images, so here is the link to my website
http://www.skill32modellbau.de/html/ardennen.html
Your comments are welcome.
regards
Thomas
Last edited by skill32 on November 2nd, 2007, 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 4th, 2007, 2:01 am #2

Congrat´s for the dio...it was a very nice job.

Cheers

Fabio M. Moretti

November 27th, 2007, 12:22 pm #3

Hello all,
I am a modeller from germany, building models during my youth (braille scale) and restart building since 1998.

It shows german troups slowed down on muddy, small ways in the deep forrest of the Ardennes passing by a destroyed sherman M4A1 tank.

regards
Thomas
Hi

your dio seem pretty interesting, good scenery and build too, unfortunately, it is not historically correct.

First of all, Kingtigers in Ardennes had an ambush pattern, so you miss the dots... then, if your scenery depicts sSS Pz Abt 501 and KG Peiper, the Panther would go before the Kingtigers, as Peiper himself stated he put the whole abteilung at the rear of his column. Then the snow, according to the research, it was not snowing when Peiper was moving! And the Panther, I am not sure about the white paint, all Panters got 3 coloured cammo as far sa I know.

Do not be offended, I am maybe too much interested into the topic

Cheers

Robert

December 1st, 2007, 5:49 pm #4

Hello all,

regards
Thomas
I don't see problem with the TigerII being infront of the Panther. Maybe they saw a problem and brought up the bigger gun and heavy armor to deal with it. Thank for sharing.
Mike B

December 1st, 2007, 9:27 pm #5

Hi

your dio seem pretty interesting, good scenery and build too, unfortunately, it is not historically correct.

First of all, Kingtigers in Ardennes had an ambush pattern, so you miss the dots... then, if your scenery depicts sSS Pz Abt 501 and KG Peiper, the Panther would go before the Kingtigers, as Peiper himself stated he put the whole abteilung at the rear of his column. Then the snow, according to the research, it was not snowing when Peiper was moving! And the Panther, I am not sure about the white paint, all Panters got 3 coloured cammo as far sa I know.

Do not be offended, I am maybe too much interested into the topic

Cheers

Robert
Hello Robert,
zero: I am not offended, your comments are welcome.

1st: you're right. My mistake. I've seen a picture of the Tiger 332 where the cammo seems to be standard pattern, but not ambush-dots. But that was due to the bad quality of the black&white picture.
Now I found several pics which show the ambush-cammo. I will redo the painting.

2nd: Well I know this, in real the Panthers drove before the Tigers due to their (the Tigers) bad manouverability.
But the dio scene forces me to put the Tiger infront of the
platoon to get a better look of the paratroopers placed at the rear of the tank.
3rd: I want to do a winter Diorama, so lets imagine the snowing would have started a few days earlier in December44
4th: I really saw a pic of Panther tanks during the BoB which looks really white. I will search after the pic and place it here.

My intention was to build a scene from the BoB which shows the difficulty of the german assault, the narrowness of the streets, the muddy ground and due to this the resulting trafic jam. The vehicles are very closely and the risc being sighted and bombed by an allied airplane was very high when the clouds
clear up - which happened a few days later.

cheers
Thomas

December 1st, 2007, 9:30 pm #6

Congrat´s for the dio...it was a very nice job.

Cheers

Fabio M. Moretti
no text

December 1st, 2007, 9:35 pm #7

I don't see problem with the TigerII being infront of the Panther. Maybe they saw a problem and brought up the bigger gun and heavy armor to deal with it. Thank for sharing.
Mike B
...the Panthers driver leave his tank to have a slash
and the Tiger passes.
Thats it.

Thomas

December 2nd, 2007, 11:58 am #8

Hello Robert,
zero: I am not offended, your comments are welcome.

1st: you're right. My mistake. I've seen a picture of the Tiger 332 where the cammo seems to be standard pattern, but not ambush-dots. But that was due to the bad quality of the black&white picture.
Now I found several pics which show the ambush-cammo. I will redo the painting.

2nd: Well I know this, in real the Panthers drove before the Tigers due to their (the Tigers) bad manouverability.
But the dio scene forces me to put the Tiger infront of the
platoon to get a better look of the paratroopers placed at the rear of the tank.
3rd: I want to do a winter Diorama, so lets imagine the snowing would have started a few days earlier in December44
4th: I really saw a pic of Panther tanks during the BoB which looks really white. I will search after the pic and place it here.

My intention was to build a scene from the BoB which shows the difficulty of the german assault, the narrowness of the streets, the muddy ground and due to this the resulting trafic jam. The vehicles are very closely and the risc being sighted and bombed by an allied airplane was very high when the clouds
clear up - which happened a few days later.

cheers
Thomas
Hi Thomas

I clearly see you intentions with the dio and, to be honest, as a whole it is great.

I look forward to see the Tiger with the ambush pattern...

About the Panther, I am really not sure about the white. But if you find any pics of some white Panthers from KG Peiper, I would be glad to them, you can even send them to my email.

The position of the Panther behind the Tiger is, of course, possible but highly improbable as the number 135 means it was from the first company, of which part was at the Spitze and part was leading the main body. As Peiper said in the post-war interview, the Tigers were at the very rear of the column because they were too heavy and if they were knocked-out of had a problem, there was NO way to pass them or to tow them. He intended to use them after passing the Meuse.

So, the situation you depict may be theoretically possible if the Panther had a problem. I know that Panther no 111 was knocked out near Baugnez, so 135 could be, for example damaged

Anyway, I am writing a diploma work about 1 SS in Ardennes, so I may be TOO involved in the situation You dio is for most of the world excellent! I would never do something that big myself. The biggest project from Ardennes was KG Hansen at Poteau with 4 soldiers and M8. I admire your modelling skills!

Cheers

Robert

December 6th, 2007, 10:27 pm #9

Hello,
there is a book from David Jordan "Schlacht in den Ardennen" where you can see the "white Panther" on page 114.
You can see there three Panter tanks driving on an alley. The 1st tank has been painted with white color very rough by brush. The 2nd one seems to be three color regular scheme and the 3rd one looks white too.

The first tank is very close to the cammera so you can see details. He has no steel wheels, side skirts, one spare wheel attached at the turret-backside.
The crew compartment heater fan tower at the rear plate, so it should be a
G-Version (early?), right?
At the left border of the picture you can see the last digit of the turret-number, seems to be a 3 or 5.
What about copyrights? May I attach a scan to my posting?

Nevertheless...
Believing this photograph was made in the Ardennes...
you must admit...
I'm right

regards
Thomas