Basic question from a photographic newbie.....

This discussion group is is hosted by Robert Oehler and dedicated to the art of photographing models. Subjects include tips & techniques, equipment, lighting, and digital photography.

Basic question from a photographic newbie.....

February 2nd, 2012, 8:08 pm #1

OK, I'm going to ask a question that probably sounds to a photographer like the question "What colour should I paint my Sherman?" would sound to a US modeller.

Bear with me and be sympathetic, please.

I want to spend up to £300 ($450) on a new camera, with the specific aim to take shots of models. Can anyone suggest cameras that would be best for this purpose? I'm sure that there must be certain combinations of body and lens that would be best for the task.

To me there seem to be sooooooo many camera models and I just need guidance on a half dozen types that maybe I should focus on (no pun intended!).

Please treat me as an idiot in this respect. I've not bought a new camera for many years, and I just need to know where to start!

Really very grateful for any help,

Chris

Chris Lloyd-Staples
MAFVA Information Officer
Chris Lloyd-Staples

Research / Information Officer, MAFVA

2VP (International), AMPS

March 22nd, 2012, 11:51 pm #2

If you're looking for a good entry level DSLR for model photography the Nikon D3100 is a good choice. Very easy to use and has plenty of features to produce good quality photos.

September 6th, 2012, 9:15 pm #3

The Nikon D3100 comes with a 18-55mm lens that is not suitable to take pictures of models. A suitable macro lens is going to send the OP over his budget. I'm sorry but a DSLR for just taking pictures of models is overkill (the mentality of the bigger - or the more features - the better, doesn't apply here).

My recommendation, a Canon SX130 IS. The macro mode of its lens is excellent and it is not a simple point and shoot, this camera has manual controls almost like a DSLR, with the most important being shutter and aperture priority which are the ones you are going to be using the most for model photography. It's about $130 USD. All you need is a tripod and good lighting, and also to read the manual to learn how to set the white balance correctly.

Hope that helps.

xPLAN303Ex: The portrait of the artist I am not.
http://xplan303ex.wordpress.com

September 11th, 2012, 3:31 pm #4

And it takes pictures of model beautifully, and I am sure would be even better if I read the manual and played with the settings a bit.

September 22nd, 2012, 3:46 am #5

The Nikon D3100 comes with a 18-55mm lens that is not suitable to take pictures of models. A suitable macro lens is going to send the OP over his budget. I'm sorry but a DSLR for just taking pictures of models is overkill (the mentality of the bigger - or the more features - the better, doesn't apply here).

My recommendation, a Canon SX130 IS. The macro mode of its lens is excellent and it is not a simple point and shoot, this camera has manual controls almost like a DSLR, with the most important being shutter and aperture priority which are the ones you are going to be using the most for model photography. It's about $130 USD. All you need is a tripod and good lighting, and also to read the manual to learn how to set the white balance correctly.

Hope that helps.

Can't find mine. The Canon SX130 IS looks nice. Any other suggestions. I am partial Canon.

October 7th, 2012, 1:27 am #6

And it takes pictures of model beautifully, and I am sure would be even better if I read the manual and played with the settings a bit.
use a 18-55 mm lens to shoot a model, but then switch to a 60 mm or 100 mm macro and see the difference, you will then see the 18-55 mm is really not suitable for models.

There's a reason why one (the 18-55) is a kit lens of around $100 value and the others (macro) are around $500.

December 23rd, 2012, 2:33 am #7

OK, I'm going to ask a question that probably sounds to a photographer like the question "What colour should I paint my Sherman?" would sound to a US modeller.

Bear with me and be sympathetic, please.

I want to spend up to £300 ($450) on a new camera, with the specific aim to take shots of models. Can anyone suggest cameras that would be best for this purpose? I'm sure that there must be certain combinations of body and lens that would be best for the task.

To me there seem to be sooooooo many camera models and I just need guidance on a half dozen types that maybe I should focus on (no pun intended!).

Please treat me as an idiot in this respect. I've not bought a new camera for many years, and I just need to know where to start!

Really very grateful for any help,

Chris

Chris Lloyd-Staples
MAFVA Information Officer
I was perplexed trying to get the right camera for models. In the end it ended up being a Panasonic Lumix pocket camera. Weird how bigger cameras couldn't focus properly on the model. Not everything came in clear. Granted new cameras have closed that gap. My best opinion would be go to the store and try focusing on small objects with the sample cameras on display. This will give you an idea where to get started. I have a big Cannon 18MP 650D DSLR, also a Olympus PL5 16MP compact camera, all these take great pictures. In the end nothing beat my little pocket camera. What I think is the ingredient for a good picture is the high mega pixels above 10MP

Hope this helps.