Bad Feelings

This "virtual workbench" is hosted by Robert Oehler and Brett Green, and is designed so that Missing-lynx readers can share their "in progress" photos with the rest of the readership and generate constructive discussions. Participation is open to all Missing-lynx visitors.

Bad Feelings

February 27th, 2012, 6:14 am #1

Hi Guys, Just joined up on this forum and thought I would post a few photos of my latest "work in progress". This diorama features a heavily modified "Tamiya" T-62 which was combined with the "Verlinden" T-62 detail set, "PanzerShop" burnt out T-55/62 road wheels, elements of the "Mig productions" Taliban T-62 set and "Fruil" tracks... plus a lot of scratch building (un-building?) also included is an equally heavily modified "Zvezda" BTR-80 with the "HobbyPlanet" correction set and wheels, "RB" and "Voyager" guns, "Voyager" antenna and "Eduard" etch metal set.
Figures are a mixture of "Evolution" and "MasterClub" with details from "Tank"
Some work on the figures was done by a good friend of mine in Russia who also provided mountains of technical information, without which I doubt this work would have been possible.
The inspiration for this work came about after looking through images of the Russian Afghan war and in particular the treacherous mountain passes that became known as Mujahideen pass. The diorama is almost finished, just a few small details to add now in the way of stowage on the BTR and some general litter around the scene.

Sorry the photos aren't better... but photographing this thing is like trying to take pictures inside a bag full of rocks.

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

Cheers
Azrael

It used to be thought that a million monkeys randomly bashing on a million typewriters would through the laws of probability eventually write the complete works of William Shakespeare... Now thanks to the internet we know this to be untrue.

February 27th, 2012, 6:46 am #2

That is one impressive piece of work you've done there Azreal.
The whole scene conveys "Bad Feelings" and you've convincingly realised this with your figures in particular. Their animation is perfect!
I love the guy behind the point man with the spare mag taped onto the weapon. He really depicts the impression your trying to say with the whole dio. His facial expression got me particularly.
The T62 is done well and I love your weathering on the BTR70.
And your attention to detail is spot on.

Excellent work all round.

February 27th, 2012, 8:39 am #3

Hi Guys, Just joined up on this forum and thought I would post a few photos of my latest "work in progress". This diorama features a heavily modified "Tamiya" T-62 which was combined with the "Verlinden" T-62 detail set, "PanzerShop" burnt out T-55/62 road wheels, elements of the "Mig productions" Taliban T-62 set and "Fruil" tracks... plus a lot of scratch building (un-building?) also included is an equally heavily modified "Zvezda" BTR-80 with the "HobbyPlanet" correction set and wheels, "RB" and "Voyager" guns, "Voyager" antenna and "Eduard" etch metal set.
Some work on the figures was done by a good friend of mine in Russia who also provided mountains of technical information, without which I doubt this work would have been possible.
The inspiration for this work came about after looking through images of the Russian Afghan war and in particular the treacherous mountain passes that became known as Mujahideen pass. The diorama is almost finished, just a few small details to add now in the way of stowage on the BTR and some general litter around the scene.

Sorry the photos aren't better... but photographing this thing is like trying to take pictures inside a bag full of rocks.

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

Cheers
Azrael

It used to be thought that a million monkeys randomly bashing on a million typewriters would through the laws of probability eventually write the complete works of William Shakespeare... Now thanks to the internet we know this to be untrue.
A great piece of work and what a way to tell a story and capture it!

Here's my halftrackforum:
http://halbketten.forumotion.com/index.htm

February 27th, 2012, 9:53 am #4

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

Cheers
Azrael

Hi Azrael
Absolutely superb diorama! You really have created something absolutely unique here and pulled it off exceptionally. The atmosphere of the piece is incredible, I can almost hear the echo of rocks crumbling down the sides of the cliffs and the rattling nerves of the jumpy soldiers.

I'd love to know how you created the rocky cliff faces.

Rob

February 27th, 2012, 11:45 am #5

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys, as to how the rock faces were created... happy to oblige with the details.
The rock walls are made from gypsum cast into rock molds from "Woodland Scenics" excellent product and the have a million and one uses in dioramas.
the whole thing was pieced together over a wooden frame like a 3D jigsaw puzzle, there was nothing random about it though, I studied literally hundreds of photos of Afghanistan and even downloaded the US geological society survey maps and analysis of the region to get the formations and colors correct, all up it weighs over 25Kg so moving it around is done as little as possible.

I have some in construction photos I can post up if anyone is interested?

all the best
Azrael

February 27th, 2012, 12:57 pm #6

Hi Azrael
I'd love to see some construction pictures of this piece. I've got one of the rock holds myself so might have a little play around with it and see what I can create. I always fancied building a diorama based on there film 9th Company, with a BMP-2 loaded with troops riding up a mountain pass.

Very pleasing to hear the amount of research put into the cliffs, I really admire that level of dedication and attention to detail, it totally pays off with this stunning diorama.

Rob

February 27th, 2012, 1:17 pm #7

No problems Rob I'll happily post up some construction photos and a few little tips I discovered along the way but it will have to be tomorrow, it's 0030 Hrs here now and regretably I have to get up at 0530 to go to work. sucks but hey I gotta pay for all this somehow
BTW I must have watched Company 9 about 500 times while building this... seriously cool film and much better if you understand the original dialog, they edited a lot out with the english version and the subtitles.

all the best

Azrael

February 27th, 2012, 2:26 pm #8

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

Cheers
Azrael

you really nailed it! Great vehicles,painting and figures,everything well posed.
J

February 28th, 2012, 9:02 am #9

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

Cheers
Azrael

Hi Rob (and anyone else that's interested)
as promised here are a few construction pics on the rock faces and some of the painting details.

a couple of the photos that initially inspired the work...

[/img]

[/img]

The Basic framework...

[/img]

The basic frame (to which were added stringers to provide additional anchor points for the rock sections)... as stated before the individual sections were constructed from Gypsum using a selection of the excellent rock molds from "Woodland Scenics" these were attached to the stringers using "Liquid Nails and fine wire.

[/img]

The Rock sections mounted but unpainted which gives you an idea of how it all went together, some sections are different colors because I tried some other materials to make the rocks from including automotive body fillers before settling on Gypsum as the easiest and most cost effective material. Gaps were filled using standard wall patching plaster.

[/img]

Rock faces after the first application of color, the initial coloring was done using spirit based wood stains after a serendipitous accident where I spilt some onto one of the spare rock pieces and it gave exactly the effect I was looking for... the initial color was a maple colored stain.

[/img]

And after the second coat of maple stain, applied after allowing the first to dry for a couple of hours.

[/img]

Then came some shading with a deep mahogany colored stain.

[/img]
[/img]
[/img]
[/img]

Next came further shading with a pale grey (shale like) color I mixed myself using automotive 2 pack base coat.

[/img]
[/img]

And yet further shading using a deep earth brown color in the same material. (the joys of having your own automotive paint mixing system )

Last edited by Umineko on February 28th, 2012, 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 28th, 2012, 9:18 am #10

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

Cheers
Azrael

The rock molds used in this diorama...

Which can be obtained from...

http://www.sceneryexpress.com/products.asp?dept=1091

Relatively cheap, easy to use and best of all reusable!!

[/img]
[/img]
[/img]