Backdating the Tamiya M1 Super Sherman

Hosted by John Prigent and Steve Zaloga, this is a discussion group dedicated to the armoured forces of the many Allied nations of the Second World War.

Backdating the Tamiya M1 Super Sherman

January 1st, 2012, 5:33 pm #1

I have searched this DG and come to understand that this kit make a good late-war M4A1(76) just by deleting the siren guard.

Details line casting numbers etc aside - if one would like to backdate this kit to an even earlier version, I assume it would be sufficient to
1. switch barrels to the version without the muzzlebreak
2. add the larger split hatch for the loader instead of the oval hatch

Any other major changes needed for the turret or hull?
'Major' is of course a relative term here...

Thanks in advance for any input.

Cheers,
Anders

January 1st, 2012, 10:11 pm #2

unless you want the circular loaders hatch. Production of the circular hatch was dropped in August '44.

Paul

January 1st, 2012, 11:17 pm #3

...as I do want to model a turret with the circular split hatch.
I have surplus Tasca parts to make the substitution so hopefully that's all I need.

Apologies for being a bit unclear in my initial post.

Cheers, Anders

January 2nd, 2012, 3:59 am #4

You will still need the hatch which Tiger make also. Now if you are doing a early M4A1W 76mm you might want to change out the suspension units. You will need the early VVS units from Tasca. The up swept units came in at a latter point. Also you still need a gun tube, and I'm not sure about which 50cal ammo box you will need the 100 round or the 50 round box. Since the M4 you are talking about would have been built at about the same time the ammo boxes were changing. Again Tasca makes what you need. Anyway the old Tamyia 50 is so clunky.

January 2nd, 2012, 10:29 am #5

...circular split loader's hatch is a rather unlikely combination?
I will have to check the few pics I have of M4A1(76) tanks to see if I can get away with leaving the original Tamiya suspension untouched.

Just looking to minimize the work required to backdate the Tamiya kit - but still add the circular hatch and early gun tube.

Thanks again!

Cheers, Anders

January 2nd, 2012, 11:08 am #6

onto earlier vehicles, or vice versa..

Andrew

January 2nd, 2012, 9:55 pm #7

That may work in my favour.
Otherwise I may have to pull out a set of Acdemy VVSS units for the Tamiya hull, as I am not prepared to with Tasca for this one.

Cheers, Anders