Aztek 470 airbrush maintenance?

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

Aztek 470 airbrush maintenance?

Karsten Richartz
Karsten Richartz

November 26th, 2003, 8:38 pm #1

Hullo all.
I've recently purchased an aztek 470 airbrush but I'm not sure bout the best way to keep my nozzles clean. I've heard that if the nozzle is taken apart one can damage the needle which would reduce the accuracy.

Any advice is welcome.
Karsten

Matt Clemente
Matt Clemente

November 26th, 2003, 11:55 pm #2

Hey I've got a 470 and to Keep The Nozzles Clean the best way accordin to Testoers/Aztek is the Cleaning station but I'm Cheap so since I use acrylics after everyuse i Run water through it, RIGHT AFTER i use it. Also You CAn Use some Thinner to Do this. Then i Take them out and Wash them with Water and Use a Q-Tip for a Lil Scrubbin ACtion. Although Testors/Aztek does Make an Airbrush CLeanin Solution But I Don't Use it, Maybe some one else can give advice on it.

Paul Seabrook
Paul Seabrook

November 27th, 2003, 1:01 am #3

I have the aztek 430 which is almost the same as you have. Do not take the nozzles apart! I spray the aztek cleaner through them or windex. Then I rub it gently with a q-tip. Works great for me.

Paul

Niels Koster
Niels Koster

November 27th, 2003, 9:31 am #4

I have the same airbrush (470) but does any know a site/book about ussing the thing? I try some stuff (camo strips) but al splaters and not very nice.

Andrew Macdonald
Andrew Macdonald

November 27th, 2003, 10:59 am #5

we have the same problem.
I posted a similar thread earlier, and I am now trying the Vallejo paints, (ready to spray, apparently), but I am still experiencing spatter too. Most frustrating.

Fredrik Lundbeck
Fredrik Lundbeck

November 27th, 2003, 12:30 pm #6

is usually a combination of pressure and paint thickness. You have to find out the right thickness/pressure combination for your aribrush and paint make. I use Tamiya, Humbrol and Vallejo paints and they all have different behaviors. for the really fine lines you usually need low pressure and heavely thinned paint OR higher pressure and thicker paint.
It works both ways, although I find it easier to work with lower pressure and thinner paint. Of course the airbrush itself is important and for the really fine lines and precise work you will need a airbrush with a fine needle. I have both a Badger Crescendo and a Hardeer & Steebeck Evolution, the Crescendo has a 0.3mm needle and is a bottom feed. The Evolution has a 0.2mm needle and is a gravity feed. This means that the Evolution can usually make finer liner due to the combination of a finer needle and that the gravity feed need less air pressure to work properly.

I hope this info helps.

Cheers
Fredrik Lundbeck
IPMS Stockholm
SWEDEN

Bob Johnston
Bob Johnston

November 28th, 2003, 10:24 am #7

Hullo all.
I've recently purchased an aztek 470 airbrush but I'm not sure bout the best way to keep my nozzles clean. I've heard that if the nozzle is taken apart one can damage the needle which would reduce the accuracy.

Any advice is welcome.
Karsten
Hi i have the a320 and use arcrylics. to clean the nozzel i use windex which i spray through the brush straight after the paint then i soak the nozzel overnight and blow it out on tissue a couple of times till its clean. as for the splatter i always mix 50/50 paint to tamiya thinner and make sure the nozzel is done up firm with air pressure of 25 psi, and start the spray to side of model as they can splatter abit when you first press the button, hth regards Bob.

Karsten Richartz
Karsten Richartz

November 29th, 2003, 12:58 pm #8

Thanx a mill. all ! =) (n/t)