AVLBs to A-stan

The Modern AFV discussion group is hosted by Erik Gustavsson and covers the variety of AFVs used by all nations in the post WWII era.

AVLBs to A-stan

April 15th, 2011, 4:13 am #1

Howdy everyone, the USMC has added yet another valuable tool to the A-Stan tool box. Seems the AVLB(Armored Vehicle Launched Bridge) are up and running providing some enhanced mobility for both wheeled and tracked vehicles. All the launchers and bridge components/pieces were trucked to the combat outpost they will operate from.

[/IMG]
U.S. Marines with 1st Combat Engineer Battalion and Company D, 1st Tank Battalion, maneuver an M88A2 Hercules Recovery Vehicle in order to unload and assemble an Assault Vehicle Land Bridge (AVLB) at Combat Outpost Ouellette, Helmand province, Afghanistan, Feb. 16, 2011. The AVLB will allow Marines and tanks with Company D attached to Company I, Battalion Landing Team 3/8, 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit, Regimental Combat Team 8, to maneuver at will over various canals throughout their area of operation within Helmand province, Afghanistan. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by Gunnery Sgt. Bryce Piper/Released).

[/IMG]
U.S. Marine Corps Sgt. Isador Morales, a vehicle commander with 1st Combat Engineer Battalion, directs operators of M88A2 Hercules recovery vehicles as they unload and assemble an Assault Vehicle Land Bridge (AVLB) at Combat Outpost Ouellette, Helmand province, Afghanistan, Feb. 16, 2011. The AVLB will allow Marines and tanks with Company D, 1st Tank Battalion, attached to Company I, Battalion Landing Team 3/8, 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit, Regimental Combat Team 8, to maneuver at will over various canals throughout their area of operation within Helmand province, Afghanistan. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by Gunnery Sgt. Bryce Piper/Released).
[/IMG]

[/IMG]
U.S. Marines with 1st Combat Engineer Battalion and Company D, 1st Tank Battalion, maneuver an M88A2 Hercules Recovery Vehicle in order to unload and assemble an Assault Vehicle Land Bridge (AVLB) at Combat Outpost Ouellette, Helmand province, Afghanistan, Feb. 16, 2011. The AVLB will allow Marines and tanks with Company D attached to Company I, Battalion Landing Team 3/8, 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit, Regimental Combat Team 8, to maneuver at will over various canals throughout their area of operation within Helmand province, Afghanistan. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by Gunnery Sgt. Bryce Piper/Released).
[/IMG]

U.S. Marines with Company D, 1st Tank Battalion, assemble an Assault Vehicle Land Bridge (AVLB) at Combat Outpost Ouellette, Helmand province, Afghanistan, Feb. 16, 2011. The AVLB will allow Marines and tanks with Company D attached to Company I, Battalion Landing Team 3/8, 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit, Regimental Combat Team 8, to maneuver at will over various canals throughout their area of operation within Helmand province, Afghanistan. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by Gunnery Sgt. Bryce Piper/Released).
[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Lets hope we get some operational pictures. Amazing that the M60 is still serving in some form after all these years.
Outta here, Mike sends . . .

April 15th, 2011, 6:57 am #2

thanks

April 15th, 2011, 11:51 am #3

Howdy everyone, the USMC has added yet another valuable tool to the A-Stan tool box. Seems the AVLB(Armored Vehicle Launched Bridge) are up and running providing some enhanced mobility for both wheeled and tracked vehicles. All the launchers and bridge components/pieces were trucked to the combat outpost they will operate from.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
U.S. Marine Corps Sgt. Isador Morales, a vehicle commander with 1st Combat Engineer Battalion, directs operators of M88A2 Hercules recovery vehicles as they unload and assemble an Assault Vehicle Land Bridge (AVLB) at Combat Outpost Ouellette, Helmand province, Afghanistan, Feb. 16, 2011. The AVLB will allow Marines and tanks with Company D, 1st Tank Battalion, attached to Company I, Battalion Landing Team 3/8, 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit, Regimental Combat Team 8, to maneuver at will over various canals throughout their area of operation within Helmand province, Afghanistan. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by Gunnery Sgt. Bryce Piper/Released).
[/IMG]

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

U.S. Marines with Company D, 1st Tank Battalion, assemble an Assault Vehicle Land Bridge (AVLB) at Combat Outpost Ouellette, Helmand province, Afghanistan, Feb. 16, 2011. The AVLB will allow Marines and tanks with Company D attached to Company I, Battalion Landing Team 3/8, 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit, Regimental Combat Team 8, to maneuver at will over various canals throughout their area of operation within Helmand province, Afghanistan. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by Gunnery Sgt. Bryce Piper/Released).
[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Lets hope we get some operational pictures. Amazing that the M60 is still serving in some form after all these years.
Great to see the old A2 still serving on into the 2010's.

RobG
Last edited by Robin Gronovius on April 15th, 2011, 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
RobG

April 15th, 2011, 5:01 pm #4

Rob,
We had to do something with those old hulls!!! We couldn't sell the system to a foreign country! Be like trying to sell an Edsel.

April 15th, 2011, 5:08 pm #5

Great to see the old A2 still serving on into the 2010's.

RobG
Howdy Robin, every Launcher that I have encounterd in USMC service has the A$$ bulge. So the Marines have A2s, or at least a piece of them. It is still a real challenge to get the Turbo minded mechs to wrap their brain around the workings of the 1790ci V-12 air cooled diesel!