Austin 8 hp tourer question

Hosted by John Prigent and Steve Zaloga, this is a discussion group dedicated to the armoured forces of the many Allied nations of the Second World War.

Austin 8 hp tourer question

August 17th, 2012, 7:08 pm #1

Hi folks,

which kind of wheels has got this Austin 8 hp tourer as seen on Malta?
http://www.modelforum.cz/download/file. ... &mode=view

Such wheels I saw on period photos on Austins 10 hp Tillys only. Could they be wheels from Austin Tilly used due shortage of original spare wheels? Or were such wheels used on tourers usually as well?

Many thanks in advance
Tomas

August 19th, 2012, 8:27 am #2

The Tourer was in fact the 8Hp vehicle, the Tilly was 10Hp, I stand to be corrected but they mainly used the same body pressings as far as the front end was concerned.

The data book of wheeled vehicle gives the following.

Tourer
Wheelbase 7' 5"
Track F 3' 9 3/4"
Track R 3' 9 3/4"

Tyres 5" X 16" on 3" x 16" disc wheels

Austin Tilly
Wheelbase 7' 10 3/4"
Track F 4' 0 1/2"
Track R 4' 3 1/2"

Tyres 6" x 16"

The Tourer therefore would have a slightly narrower tyre size, and would have been a "civilian pattern" mostly.
The Tilly was often fitted with a cross country type tyre on the rear axle, and a "civilian" on the front.

This is a generalised statement, and subject to more knowledgeable comment.

In general, the Tourer would not require cross country tyres, the supply situation on Malta (GC) is a factor, but I feel the Island to be small enough where the wear on tyres was not a significant issue.

The fitting of a wider tyre would have consequences on steering to some degree however.

I know this may not answer in full the question you ask, but my personal guess would be a civilian pattern tread on the Tourer.

George.

August 19th, 2012, 12:40 pm #3

Hi folks,

which kind of wheels has got this Austin 8 hp tourer as seen on Malta?
http://www.modelforum.cz/download/file. ... &mode=view

Such wheels I saw on period photos on Austins 10 hp Tillys only. Could they be wheels from Austin Tilly used due shortage of original spare wheels? Or were such wheels used on tourers usually as well?

Many thanks in advance
Tomas
The wheels on this Tourer are from the civilian version. In fact, if you look closely, this particlar car is the civilian version of the Austin 8 Tourer and not the military Austin 8AP Tourer.

The two main distinctions between the two versions were:
1 Civvy Tourers had perforated wheels and military ones had solid wheels (the same size)
2 Civvy Tourers had plain bonnet sides with chrome decoration near the top edge. Military Tourers had gills in the bonnet sides - like the Tilly's three - but only two of them.

Regards
Mike Shackleton
Tilly Registehttp://www.tillyregister.com/home.html

(which also covers the Austin 8AP Tourer)
Last edited by michael.shackleton on August 19th, 2012, 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 19th, 2012, 9:42 pm #4

The Tourer was in fact the 8Hp vehicle, the Tilly was 10Hp, I stand to be corrected but they mainly used the same body pressings as far as the front end was concerned.

The data book of wheeled vehicle gives the following.

Tourer
Wheelbase 7' 5"
Track F 3' 9 3/4"
Track R 3' 9 3/4"

Tyres 5" X 16" on 3" x 16" disc wheels

Austin Tilly
Wheelbase 7' 10 3/4"
Track F 4' 0 1/2"
Track R 4' 3 1/2"

Tyres 6" x 16"

The Tourer therefore would have a slightly narrower tyre size, and would have been a "civilian pattern" mostly.
The Tilly was often fitted with a cross country type tyre on the rear axle, and a "civilian" on the front.

This is a generalised statement, and subject to more knowledgeable comment.

In general, the Tourer would not require cross country tyres, the supply situation on Malta (GC) is a factor, but I feel the Island to be small enough where the wear on tyres was not a significant issue.

The fitting of a wider tyre would have consequences on steering to some degree however.

I know this may not answer in full the question you ask, but my personal guess would be a civilian pattern tread on the Tourer.

George.
Hi George,

many thanks for your great insight into tourer & Tilly wheels.

Regards
Tomas

August 19th, 2012, 9:48 pm #5

The wheels on this Tourer are from the civilian version. In fact, if you look closely, this particlar car is the civilian version of the Austin 8 Tourer and not the military Austin 8AP Tourer.

The two main distinctions between the two versions were:
1 Civvy Tourers had perforated wheels and military ones had solid wheels (the same size)
2 Civvy Tourers had plain bonnet sides with chrome decoration near the top edge. Military Tourers had gills in the bonnet sides - like the Tilly's three - but only two of them.

Regards
Mike Shackleton
Tilly Registehttp://www.tillyregister.com/home.html

(which also covers the Austin 8AP Tourer)
Hi Michael,

many thanks for very informative comparison of civilian vs. military tourers. It seems to be the civilian one on Malta definitely.

Regards
Tomas

PS
I googled "Austin 8" before I sent this question. I didn't google "Austin Eight" thus many thanks for link as well!

August 19th, 2012, 10:32 pm #6

You might find this site useful if you haven't found it already:
http://www.austin-eight.com/

Cheers
Mike
Last edited by michael.shackleton on August 19th, 2012, 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.