Asuka Type 74 (G) out now

2:01 PM - Sep 03, 2018 #1

Dear All,
Just saw this:  https://www.scalemates.com/kits/1161163 ... -74-tank-g
Regards Tomas Enerdal

8:53 PM - Sep 03, 2018 #2

This may be the same kit as the Tamiya Type 74.  Even the box has the Tamiya emblem. 

10:42 AM - Sep 04, 2018 #3

Yea, it was discussed here earlier, It is the basic Tamiya kit with added Asuka details. See asuka-type-74-t308008.html#p1456770
The Tamiya Type 74 is not new, but I believe it is good for its age. The tracks from Modelkasten will improve it very much, etched details has been made for it in Lion Roar LE35085. 

8:18 AM - Oct 08, 2018 #4

Dear All,

I have received my copy, first impressions:
-The baseline is the Tamiya kit 35114. Note; the kit does not contain the extra sprue D from kit 35168 Type 74 Winter version. Neither does it contain the tubing and glass for the projector, nor the decals.
-The tracks are of the typical Asuka/Tasca fashion, glueable, with each track consisting of two halves. They are of the type covered with rubber pads, the Tamiya tracks are “naked” i.e. without pads.
The extras:
In addition to the Tamiya parts there are several sprues with additional parts, D,Dx4, E, F, G, H, R, Poly caps and a separate part which I don’t understand.
These sprues contains all parts necessary to make the model as a Type 74 Kai(G): , passive IR camera, sideskirts with all mounting brackets, track support ring for the drive sprockets, parts to modify the front stowage boxes, etc.
But the sprues do also contain a lot of parts that add to and refines the detail level of any Type 74; clear periscopes, a complete commander’s cupola in clear styrene, headlamps and siren with guards, exhaust, antenna guards, lots of lifting handles and opening handles for the various hatches, especially the engine-, around the tank. Sprue F contains a very nice and sharply rendered main gun with thermal shroud. Sprue R is the set of JGSDF OVM tools sold separately, containing refined tools and jerrycans. Sprue H contains parts to make the gun moveable and a foil sheet is enclosed to make the canvas around the mantlet.

As all of the styrene from the original Tamiya kit is included, I believe the kit can be built as an ordinary Type 74 but with a lot of detail refinement. You have to source the markings elsewhere, however, the kits very nice decals only contain markings/instructions for the Type 74 (G).

The kit instructions are well drawn, but almost all text is in Japanese, leading to some guesswork on my part.
I would have appreciated a sprue with the Asuka Browning M1 as the old Tamiya one is simplified.

To summarize, the kit is a little of a mixed bag as the original Tamiya kit is rather old. The enclosed detail parts do improve matters VERY much, however, in the end it will inspire me to add even more detail to lift it up to today’s standards. The Modelkasten tracks and Lion Roar etch will help in that respect.

The instructions can be seen at https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10534780   

Regards
Tomas Enerdal