Armor Museums in Idaho, Utah?

Hosted by Al Bowie and Brett Green, the General AFV Modelling discussion group covers any general military modelling topic including industry news and announcements.

Armor Museums in Idaho, Utah?

June 14th, 2012, 4:02 pm #1

I will be traveling through Idaho and Utah and wondered if there were any good military museums. I've been to the Hill AFB museum and the Browning museum.

June 14th, 2012, 6:33 pm #2

They are continually upgrading it. There are two privately held collections of armored vehicles west of Salt Lake City at Tooele, but you have to be invited in order to gain access.

Other than those, down here in Utah I don't there are many other options.

Idaho has an AFB at Mountain Home, and an ANG presence at the Boise airport, so perhaps there is something at one of those locations?

Sorry I am not much more help.

Scott Gentry

June 15th, 2012, 3:30 am #3

I will be traveling through Idaho and Utah and wondered if there were any good military museums. I've been to the Hill AFB museum and the Browning museum.
The fort over in the NE part of town by the University. It had several vehicles including a composite M4.

KL

June 15th, 2012, 5:34 am #4

Hi,
The Fort Douglas museum also has several artillery pieces including a Pak 40 and the M4 composite has been rebuilt recently. There are also many uniforms and weapons on display inside the museum.
Regards,Bob

June 16th, 2012, 2:34 am #5

They are continually upgrading it. There are two privately held collections of armored vehicles west of Salt Lake City at Tooele, but you have to be invited in order to gain access.

Other than those, down here in Utah I don't there are many other options.

Idaho has an AFB at Mountain Home, and an ANG presence at the Boise airport, so perhaps there is something at one of those locations?

Sorry I am not much more help.

Scott Gentry
Only armor near hill is a T-55 ON the base by the EOD building and a M-32 without its crane posing as a sign for a surplus store near here.

June 16th, 2012, 5:03 pm #6

Hi,
The Fort Douglas museum also has several artillery pieces including a Pak 40 and the M4 composite has been rebuilt recently. There are also many uniforms and weapons on display inside the museum.
Regards,Bob
I forgot about Ft. Douglas. I was there about 15 years ago and I remember a PT-76 or APC. Since I have a DML composite Sherman I might stop there.Thanks to all.