Anyone Paint With Spray Cans?

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

Anyone Paint With Spray Cans?

February 22nd, 2004, 6:54 pm #1

In an effort to increase my incredibly low production rate, I was considering using spray cans to paint at least the base coat of models. Currently I airbrush base and lightening coats. I don't have a dedicated airbrushing station, so there's a lot of build up and tear down time involved.

When I was a kid I used to paint all my models with spray cans, and I remember most of the surface detail disappearing. Does anyone use spray cans and avoid this problem?

TIA,
Maurice

James Richardson
James Richardson

February 22nd, 2004, 11:30 pm #2

Hi Maurice,
I usually use Tamiya sprays for kits that have only one colour, eg. dark yellow or green. The Tamiya sprays are good and if by only doing a light coat at a time, letting to dry and then doing another coat, it looks very nice and is uniform all over. Everything gets painted the small colour as is wanted and then you can simply weathering, drybrush or paint on a camouflage if it is wanted. I never have any problem with surface detail disappearing. Just remember to make sure you only spray as much as is needed. Start spraying off the vehicle and work over it. Remember also to be at least twenty centimetres from the vehicle. This stops pools of paint forming. I will post a diorama with a T-34 and Marder IIIM in a few weeks on the CC Discussion group that were painted with Tamiya sprays. I am very happy with spray cans, James

February 23rd, 2004, 3:48 am #3

Thanks James, I'll definitely give it a try.

Maurice

manuel de jong
manuel de jong

February 24th, 2004, 8:32 am #4

In an effort to increase my incredibly low production rate, I was considering using spray cans to paint at least the base coat of models. Currently I airbrush base and lightening coats. I don't have a dedicated airbrushing station, so there's a lot of build up and tear down time involved.

When I was a kid I used to paint all my models with spray cans, and I remember most of the surface detail disappearing. Does anyone use spray cans and avoid this problem?

TIA,
Maurice
Use Belton/molotov for painting you tanks.
When you done a bascoat with it, it looks like al the details are gone.
But the paint shrinks a lot and will give you a nice thin flat surface.
The paints dries really fast because its alcohol based.
Now you only have to sprat a flat coat of varnish on top of it and you can start painting.
If you have any questions just mail me.