Anybody make a church bell tower?

The Dioramas discussion group is hosted by Marijn Van Gils and is dedicated to all aspects of military model dioramas.

Anybody make a church bell tower?

December 19th, 2009, 8:27 pm #1

Something for the perfect sniper vignette...

December 20th, 2009, 2:56 am #2

Hello, Custom Diaramics has a clock tower, but they are no longer around, you might be able to find it at some model shows.....

December 26th, 2009, 2:31 pm #3

The sniper in a church tower makes for a great scene. But, Saving Private Ryan had it historically incorrect; snipers would not generally take such an obvious location as a church tower for a shooting location. While a church tower provides great ability at long range sighting, remember that works both ways. If the sniper can spot you, it is probable that multiple sets of eyes looking at a obvious location such as a church tower would eventually spot the location. Or, just simply decide to take out the obvious location with HE fire; which was not an umcommon battle tactic in the WTO.

Snipers and well trained sharpshooters generally choose locations that you would not expect a sniper, that have escape routes (again a church tower only has 1 way down), and ideally minimize angles in which the sniper/sharpshooter can be spotted (and attacked).

December 28th, 2009, 6:59 pm #4

of Inglorious Basterds fame actually. Seriously though my thought is to have a cutaway of a church steeple or barn hay loft showing the sniper from the inside. The sniper in a bunch of rubble thing is a bit overdone, so I was looking for something outside what we have normally seen. A fair bit of artistic license has to be taken here as snipers, almost by definition are difficult to see but that doesn't help with the visual drama of a vignette, so...

December 28th, 2009, 10:19 pm #5

Sniper on the Eastern Front: The Memoirs of Sepp Allerberger

might be worth a read for ideas on a sniper scene.

current cover I saw at Barnes and Noble over the holidays.
Last edited by Panzer_M on December 28th, 2009, 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 30th, 2009, 8:35 pm #6

...but has few inacuracies itself. I like the book tho.

http://mastermodels.blogspot.com/

December 31st, 2009, 2:47 am #7

I believe that there is a model train scale close to 1/35. I would check out any good model train stores in your area or check online catalogs.
Good luck,
Eric

There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.
Calvin and Hobbs 1990
There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.

Calvin and Hobbs 1990

December 31st, 2009, 7:54 pm #8

you have in your mind using Hansa Systems parts, plus you could also spiff the Hansa stuff up with Custom Dioramic and Miniart building parts details.
Hansa has a lot of add-on detail parts but no church/school doors specifically (I don't think). They make a terrific Kharkov corner building 2 stories and a roof with windows
on either side might work well for your idea-pretty inexpensive too, $38. Monroe Perdu makes a French/Italian-ish church front that you could expand on. A bunch od companies make barn type buildings that you could use the loft's of.
My2cbobC

January 5th, 2010, 3:29 pm #9

all the 135th Construction Battalion building detail is on sale. Some beautiful detail parts